IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Basic Tech Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 06-29-2010, 08:43 AM   #16
jmalloy

Member Number: 1874
Default Re: Fluid Specs

I agree - my initial title was too limiting. I'm looking for the class of info that a newbie like me needs. Having only worked on newer gas powered vehicles I just received an education on api grades that I didn't know I didn't have. This applies equally well to filters as it does to fluids. The oil filter question I posed above (yeah, I hijacked my own thread, sorry about that...) is a perfect example. The filter I have is, apparenty, a valid model. However, the po lost the spring and washer that keep it in place. This is apparently a common problem and one a newbie like me could easily repeat.

Two comments:

1. Rtfm! (directed at me...). The Nissan manual has beautiful pictures and instructions on how to change the oil filter. I should have looked there first.

2. Use the google! (also directed at me). I do try to use search, both within these forums and via google. Often I fail because I don't yet know how the right keywords to use. I did, however, find the following. They're not my recommendations but some other diesel owner out there might find them useful: the IH diesel FAQ (with sd33 info) - binder planet forums

Once again, I appreciate everyone's patience and assistance as get up to speed - owning a Scout is definitely a unique experience

to the moderators out there - can we change the title to "fluid and filter specs"?
jmalloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:10 PM   #17
RobertC

Member Number: 517

A comment on wix oil filters --

my local kragen's revamped their air / oil filter offerings -- fram is still the largest; added a new "cheap"(?) brand and also added a few wix oil filters -- including 51515... On the shelf...

Same box as I got at the regular / "old time" auto parts store.

I assume that they might have changed the stock at their "companion" stores, also -- shuck's and checker... Or May be in the process of doing so...
RobertC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:19 AM   #18
Michael Mayben
IHPA Tech Moderator - Retired & No Longer Online

Member Number: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc View Post
a comment on wix oil filters --

my local kragen's revamped their air / oil filter offerings -- fram is still the largest; added a new "cheap"(?) brand and also added a few wix oil filters -- including 51515... On the shelf...

Same box as I got at the regular / "old time" auto parts store.

I assume that they might have changed the stock at their "companion" stores, also -- shuck's and checker... Or May be in the process of doing so...
All the retail points you mentioned Robert are part of the o'reilly group. O'reilly acquired csk (parent of checker/shucks/kragen) quite some time ago and have been in the process of re-branding some points in some markets for the last year+.

http://vimeo.com/8149690
Michael Mayben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:41 AM   #19
Craig

Member Number: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc View Post
edit...
I believe all "IH era" GM saginaw power steering units specify "dexron spec" tranmission fluid (which, of course has changed some over the years since our vehicles were manufactured).

I do not know the pros / cons of using other power steering fluids in the GM saginaw power steering units in ...
I asked this same question in the oil tech.

Correct the IH manual states to use GM power steering fluid.
The GM manual says to use GM power steering fliud, but if not avalialbe to use atf. I to would rather upgrade the oil I use as new products are avaliable that were not around 40 years ago.

So do we run 715 or 714 or does it really matter. Yes its one of those canoworms questions

Last edited by Craig; 06-30-2010 at 12:44 PM..
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 04:37 PM   #20
RobertC

Member Number: 517

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
I asked this same question in the oil tech.

Correct the IH manual states to use GM power steering fluid.
The GM manual says to use GM power steering fliud, but if not avalialbe to use atf. I to would rather upgrade the oil I use as new products are avaliable that were not around 40 years ago.

So do we run 715 or 714 or does it really matter. Yes its one of those canoworms questions
Ok, the "switch" from dexron in GM saginaw p/s units occurred earlier than I thought.

Since your IH manual states GM power steering fluid, I would use 715.

The "GM site" stated that GM power steering fluid is mineral oil based -- as is swepco 715...

The only "reason" (not knowledge) for different p/s fluids that I can think of is "compatibility with the seal material".

My 73 IH manual states dexron...

Afaik, Jeff / Darren put 714 in the p/s unit of my t/a...

I will have to back the t/a into my garage, so I can check the color of the fluid.

Personally, I do not want to "mix" the fluids (714 / 715 or any other) -- though it does not seem that any real harm will occur...
RobertC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 05:17 AM   #21
jmalloy

Default Re: Fluid and Filter Specs

Added the following to the summary in post #1:

1. Does a summary already exist? If so, where?
rtfm! In volume 2 of the service manual there is an entire section titled "lubrication".

And

7. Differentials What axle lube viscosity for a daily driver Dana 44 w/limited slip?
Old 02-04-2011, 02:59 PM   #22
jmalloy

Towpainter3 added some info about transfer case oil - "mayben says!!!! Straight 50 weight motor oil in the transfer case" in the following post:

http://www.forums.IHPartsAmerica.com...orite-oil.html
Old 06-17-2011, 03:33 PM   #23
jmalloy

Added paint colors from http://www.forums.IHPartsAmerica.com...ut-colors.html
Old 02-27-2014, 10:15 PM   #24
Craig

Member Number: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariesmith View Post
if not more once the working fluid (engine oil) is fully up to temp.
It's been 4 years since last posted.

But I know the shop carriers a lot of swepco products. From engine oil to axle grease. I've used there engine oil, transmission oil and power steering fluid in my Scout and swear by the stuff.

The shop prices are very reasonable, for what you getting too.

I ruined a couple motors before switching to swepco. Ok so it was 3 lets not get started on that. Since running swepco I've had no issues and those have not been easy miles either.

P.s. Don't get hung up on synthetics as most are made from base stock and only a portion is synthetics.
What am I saying? Swepco is the best bang for the buck!!
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:21 AM   #25
ihpartsjeff
Administrator & Owner

Member Number: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
it's been 4 years since last posted.

But I know the shop carriers a lot of swepco products. From engine oil to axle grease. I've used there engine oil, transmission oil and power steering fluid in my Scout and swear by the stuff.

The shop prices are very reasonable, for what you getting too.

I ruined a couple motors before switching to swepco. Ok so it was 3 lets not get started on that. Since running swepco I've had no issues and those have not been easy miles either.

P.s. Don't get hung up on synthetics as most are made from base stock and only a portion is synthetics.
What am I saying? Swepco is the best bang for the buck!!
That was a spammer Craig. They had several links in their signature to xbox crap. Thanks for posting though.

Jeff Ismail
IH Parts America - Owner
IH Sierra Fall Rallye Event Coordinator
Binder Books
CPT - Crawler Proven Technology
(530)274-1795
ihpartsjeff is offline   Reply With Quote