IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Basic Tech Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 11-26-2008, 08:31 AM   #16
Matt Main

Member Number: 446
Default Re: The "Fuel Tank" Thread

Yeah man, you can pull off all that emissions garbage as far as getting the thing smogged. I dont think any of that stuff would make filling your tank difficult unless there was some weird vacuum but I think thats doubtful. What May be going on is larger and smaller diameter fuel nozzles at the different stations. Notice any difference with the halde pulled all the way back versus maybe 1/2 way? Any obstruction in your filler?
Matt Main is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 10:22 AM   #17
Craig

Member Number: 5

I have a Scout II 19 gal tank. I have pulled the tank cleaned and replaced all hoses and sender. I can only run the pump wide open when the tank is empty. Once its about 1/2 full the return air is pushing more that just air. I've pull the nossle back and you can see gas shooting out of the air return. Not much, but enough to mess up new style gas nossles. If there was a little plate covering the hole so the gas would not hit the nossle that might help. Maybe a screen or something. I just pull the nossle back about 1-2" and finish filling the tank.
Attached Images

Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 05:44 AM   #18
gotscout73

Member Number: 491

What about that plastic thing in the back fender wall, could it be causing any venting issues?
gotscout73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 04:05 PM   #19
Caperodder

Member Number: 514

Hi all,

I'm in the planning stages of replacing my bed sill and center crossmember. Since I need to drop the tank, and because it has a large dent in it, I'm considering convertion to a 19 gal. Poly. Is there any obvious method to determine if I need a emissions or non-emissions tank? The only emissions related thing I can find is an evapoation canister under the hood. Pretty sure I'm pre-smog. Likely, I'll also replace the sending unit while I'm there.

I also notice my garage always smells of raw gasoline, so I'm assuming the vent lines etc. Are all trash.

Thanks for any tips.

-brett

1972 Scout II, 304 4 speed.
Caperodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 05:17 PM   #20
Michael Mayben
IHPA Tech Moderator - Retired & No Longer Online

Member Number: 10

Brett...if you have the charcoal canister under the hood, then ya should have the so-called "condenser" up inside the driver-side rear fender that is also part of the evaporative emissions system. Those systems were used on many/all vehicles prior to the evolution of what we refer to around here as the "emissions motors", etc. You May be "pre-smog" as pertaining to your local/state regulations, but ya still have an eec system to deal with.

And...your tank will look very similar to the one I posted regarding an oem 19 gallon tank from that '73 sii that we converted to the 30+ gallon tank. All this guapo is covered in this current thread.

Look up behind the driver side rear wheel at the side of your fuel tank.. Determine how many hoses/fittings you can see and compare with the pics I posted.

Also, many sii came with a molded plastic filler neck that cracked/distorted after a few years of service. That will allow fuel to escape, as will a rotten connector coupling.

I'd pull the tank and all the associated plumbing out before ta start dealing with the floors/sills/rockers. Lay it all out and see whatcha got and then determine what to do about it. That pic Craig posted tells the whole story, very nice labeling job Craig!

I'm attaching again, a .pdf of the evaporative emissions system from an ihc service reference, first diagram izza sii. This illustrates the big picture.

I know what I'd do...but I won't discuss it here on the forum, email me privately for my "opinion"!

So is this gonna be the winter project once the snow is piled in front of the garage door and ya can't git the rides outside??? I've spent new years on the cape and in new hampshire on the same swing, so I know all about "winter projects" in yore kuntry! Ya got the antifreeze in tha matchless???
Attached Images
File Type: pdf SII Evap Emissions_Tank Side.PDF (3.72 MB, 800 views)

http://vimeo.com/8149690

Last edited by Michael Mayben; 12-06-2008 at 05:26 PM..
Michael Mayben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 04:46 AM   #21
Caperodder

Member Number: 514

Thanks michael. I'm in parts accumulation mode. Yer dead on with my winter plans. Working on 4 projects simultaneously as parts are delivered and time allows.

Rear passenger side is sagging pretty low due to a rotted tailgate sill and center crossmember, not to mention cooked body mounts. So yes, the tank is the first thing to get out of the way.

The matchless is firing up on first kick now, but I'm under a lot of pressure from the uk matchless club, not to restore it. The "it's only original once" story. So fer now it stays as-is.

Thanks again!

Brett
Caperodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 10:36 AM   #22
Craig

Member Number: 5

One more pic of the inside on how the vent tubes are routed.

Last edited by Craig; 07-29-2009 at 07:38 AM..
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:51 AM   #23
jcarlisle

Member Number: 705

Ok I guess I'll post the tank I'm building for my 80 here as well.

I haven't finished it yet so no outside pics. It's made of 2 pieces the top and sides are 1/8" hr steel and the bottom/front/back are 3/16". 5/16 fuel line attached to a -6 weld on an fitting with 3/8 and 1/4 gussets/baffles welded to the bottom, 1/2 rod "sump" welded to bottom in the pickup area. It should hold appx 31 gallons.
jcarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:09 PM   #24
mcsmythe

Member Number: 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael mayben View Post
the original option dual tank kit for the s80 had no provision for switching, just a 1/4" "equalizer" tube connecting the two tanks, how stoopid can we be???? That way the fuel level gauge would read only after tha dam thang set for about 30 minutes while the fuel levels "equalized"!!! That was a typical "agricultural" deal since the Scout 80 was just an evolved manure spreader witha pump motor!
This is the situation I am in, have the original equalizer tube without the ability to switch between tanks. I will be converting to the 3-way valve when I re-pipe the fuel lines. I pulled the passenger tank this weekend to find it in really nice condition, remember this is a '61:

And the bay for the tank in pretty nice condition as well:

I'm guessing the only sender is on the driver side tank.

1961 Scout 80 half-top, 152, Weber DGV, T14, Spicer18 with Ramsey 8000# PTO winch, front Dana 27 with PowerLok, rear Dana 44 with Detroit, and multiple gun racks..............
mcsmythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:20 PM   #25
Michael Mayben

You are correct about a "single sender" for that screwball "equalizer" dual tank setup.

But the tank with no sender has the port for a sender but it's "blanked" with a plate.

So the light line replacement sender for a Scout 80/800 available here at ihon will mount right in, even though it's physical appearance is somewhat different. Those will be the correct resistive value...10>73 ohms.

So what I do is add a simple dual throw toggle switch to switch between the two senders (or to physically/electrically "pick" which sender to use). So switching tanks involves a manual selector valve change...and flip a switch!

I have pics of all this I can post if ya need some ideas.

The second tank was available as a dealer-install "kit" also. Some were installed with selector valves and sender switches, some were not. I've seen nearly every variation! And if your rig has the optional "tool box" hinged lid in the passenger side rear inner fender, then the box must be removed and ya gotta simple lid that allows ya to access the top of the tank on that side.

Very nice looking tank compartments!!! I'm real jealous!

Old 06-15-2009, 08:16 PM   #26
mcsmythe

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael mayben View Post
Very nice looking tank compartments!!! I'm real jealous!
It's that great, dry az air. you would be amazed at how much dirt/dried mud I pulled out of the void between the inner skin and outer skin. It was up almost halfway between the two bolt holes on the right.

Thanks for the information on the tank options. I May even look around for a 3rd tank to go between the framerails, under the bed. That would give me some real "range" out in the desert.

1961 Scout 80 half-top, 152, Weber DGV, T14, Spicer18 with Ramsey 8000# PTO winch, front Dana 27 with PowerLok, rear Dana 44 with Detroit, and multiple gun racks..............

Last edited by mcsmythe; 06-15-2009 at 08:22 PM..
Old 06-15-2009, 08:57 PM   #27
1hc72

Member Number: 991

Im thinking of getting rid of my driverside tank since it is a real pain in the butt to fill.would I be able to drop in a older Chevy, dodge or Ford tank in between the frame rails. Im thinking if a 35 gallon tank in the rear. Is this possible?
Old 06-16-2009, 06:12 AM   #28
mcsmythe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hc72 View Post
im thinking of getting rid of my driverside tank since it is a real pain in the butt to fill.would I be able to drop in a older Chevy, dodge or Ford tank in between the frame rails. Im thinking if a 35 gallon tank in the rear. Is this possible?
I've heard of folks using isuzu trooper tanks as well.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:28 AM   #29
Robert Kenney
IHPA Tech Moderator

Member Number: 543

I'll play devils advocate here regarding the fuel carrying capacity of the s80. They hold 20 gallon and that is a lot of gas for a 4 banger. I can use 18 of it in my 65' by running one to the bottom and at 16 mpg I can go almost 300 miles. In short I really like the 80 tank arrangement and the fact that it is oe is nice

my 61 had the factory dual tanks but no selector. That was quickly changed though and a second sender added with a spdt switch in the dash.

I never have any issues filling the tanks but I do have to direct the filler nozzle to the rear of the opening and use half the full flow rate to fill.

The warn od is a great addition to the baby Scout by the way to aid in fuel economy.

“Don't lift until the fear of death over comes the fear of speed.” Author Unknown
Robert Kenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 07:09 AM   #30
Michael Mayben

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hc72 View Post
im thinking of getting rid of my driverside tank since it is a real pain in the butt to fill.would I be able to drop in a older Chevy, dodge or Ford tank in between the frame rails. Im thinking if a 35 gallon tank in the rear. Is this possible?
A "d" model pickup fuel tank system is nothing similar to what is used in Scout 80/800, ya can't make a comparison!

If the oem passenger side tank won't fill easily then something is wrong, it's not a design issue.

If both oem tanks are functional, then that is a fuel capacity of at least 26 gallons minimum onna pickup.

Putting any boneyard tank between the rear frame rails is gonna be a major fabrication job involving relocation of the exhaust system, major plumbing work for the fill and evaporative emissions system, and relocation of the spare if it's still carried under the bed.