IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Basic Tech Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 11-19-2008, 09:07 AM   #1
Michael Mayben
IHPA Tech Moderator - Retired & No Longer Online

Member Number: 10
Default The "Fuel Tank" Thread

For general questions/discussion of fuel tank options for IH schnizz, let's park 'em here for now!

http://vimeo.com/8149690
Michael Mayben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 09:29 AM   #2
Michael Mayben

Default Re: The "Fuel Tank" Thread

In this thread, Matt posed a question regarding fuel tank alternatives:

http://forums.IHPartsAmerica.com/IH-...-gas-tank.html

So let's brainstorm on this...keep in mind Matt's rig is a Scout 800 which is considerably different in the rear frame/body configuration as compared to a Scout II.

I'm posting this information because I recently installed a heavily modded 30+ gallon tank inna Scout II and happen to have some pics so that folks can see what a "typical" install might entail. Unfortunately I did not gather any dimensional detail since this was a project that had lingered for more than a year and we simply wanted to get the rig finished and gone back to where it lives!

And the original source of the extended capacity tank shown in these pics is not known. At first, I thought it might be from the company eric reminded me of...northwest metal products. But due to the crude construction of this tank (but very robust!) it simply is not up to the quality of the products they produce.

About two years ago, the owner of this tank had the bottom replaced with diamond plate by a local welding shop in the portland area. That resulted in many porous welds and leaks when pressure tested. Consequently I spent several hours brazing over the porosity and pressure testing many times to insure we handled all the leakage before installation.

This first pic is a reference shot for Matt of the oem 19 gallon tank. This rig is a 1974 sii and has a completely intact evaporative emissions system which is functional. The oem tank is designed to "nest" into the space under the rear floor of an sii, between the frame rails. The top is contoured to fit adjacent to the rear floor and cross supports. The fuel feed to the fuel pump is from the sending unit mounted into the top surface of the tank, that follows standard practices in the automotive industry and is a major safety consideration.
Attached Images

Last edited by ihpartsjeff; 09-04-2013 at 09:17 AM..
Old 11-19-2008, 09:36 AM   #3
Michael Mayben

This shot shows the nest in the rear section of a typical sii where the oem fuel tank mounts. The floor support creates an issue where the top of the tank has to be contoured to provide clearance. And the frame intermediate crossmember dictates where the tank must sit in relation to the rearmost crossmember.

The filler neck nipple and all the "vent" (eecs system) nipples are located above the frame rail and many of ya know how difficult it is to deal with those connections when the connecting soft hose is old and rotten!
Attached Images

Old 11-19-2008, 09:52 AM   #4
Michael Mayben

This is a general shot of the modded aftermarket 30+ gallon tank with the "skid plate" bottom added. Ya can easily see the crappy weld job, looks like the shit welds I do with the mig!

Since this tank was fabbed from sheet goods, the top had to be contoured during fabrication to follow the oem tank contour. Also, this tank does have the "sub-tank"-type baffle inside which is part of the eecs design. That is located in the "step-up" portion of the tank.

On each side of the tank ya can see the two triangular tabs welded to the side walls. These tabs are "stops" that contact the frame rails on each side. When the mounting straps are pulled up snug, those stops prevent any movement of the tank in it's mounting arrangement.

This tank has also had a npt bung welded into the bottom on one side to serve as a drain. That point was a big leak that I had to repair!

For pressure testing, the tank was blown up to 15psi and douched with a liquid soap solution. Once we thought we'd repaired all the leaks, it was pressurized one last time and then allowed to sit for several hours watching for "leakdown". After the tank was installed it was finished off with flat black rattlecan and plumbed, then we added five gallons of alkeegazz. If any leakage had been noted the flat black paint would really "bloom" and show any minute leak point, none has been found to this point.

The top of the tank had been previously modded by the welder for installing a typical aftermarket fuel gauge sender (five hole pattern). The light line sender available for the IH option 33 gallon tank and available through IHPA worked perfectly. I did "adjust" the float rod slightly to take into account the amount of volume that had been removed from the tank when the bottom was replaced. And yes...that replacement sender is the correct "10ohm>78ohm" sender used on all IH light duty vehicle fuel gauge systems that incorporate the 5vdc constant voltage regulator instrument system. So that sender will work with the oem Scout 80, and the Scout 800 fuel gauges also. I added an insulated disconnect to the sender gauge feed to allow easy access if the tank ever needed to come back down. A separate ground wire was also installed under one of the sender mounting screws and run to a ground point on the frame.
Attached Images

Last edited by ihpartsjeff; 09-04-2013 at 09:20 AM..
Old 11-19-2008, 10:05 AM   #5
Matt Main

Member Number: 446

Thanks for the insight into this fuel tank deal. I think my 2 most promising options, when the time comes, are probably measuring my rig to find what size tank will fit with the least amount of modification to fit that criteria, or to go with a fuel cell. In the past not only in our scouts, I've seen guys running fuel cells in their rig but more often than not, they look like a damn hack job. I'm all for utility, but I still like things to look well sorted and put together! Again, thanks for the information michael, keep it coming!!!
Matt Main is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 10:09 AM   #6
Michael Mayben

This shot shows how not to arrange a fuel pump outlet from any motor vehicle fuel tank!!!!

This is a gravity feed that can allow fuel flow unimpeded in the event of a fuel line/plumbing failure. It'll simply allow fuel escape until the tank is empty.

The welder added a "guard" to the outlet, and the outlet is also well protected by the body from a road/trail debris hit, but this is not an accepted practice!!!! The only "offroad" service this rig sees is the rock parking lot at our shophouse!

The owner elected to retain this design, that was his choice.

So...I hope this sheds some light on a typical aftermarket fuel tank workaround. It does not directly address Matt's concerns but hopefully points out some considerations to look for when swappin' tanks around.

And keep in mind...a Scout 80 and Scout 800 platform is a completely different animal as compared to a Scout II!
Attached Images

Old 11-19-2008, 10:15 AM   #7
Michael Mayben

For the Scout 800 Matt, I could see a nicely done fuel cell recessed into the rear floor as long as the exhaust system doesn't pose any interference. And it could incorporate a three-way mechanical selector valve so that the oem "saddle" tanks can be used also, along with switching for the fuel tank senders.

I agree with ya about the "hack job" using fuel cells or aftermarket marine fuel tanks!

Let's keep brainstorming here about nice fuel system upgrades!

Old 11-19-2008, 01:13 PM   #8
Matt Main

That is a great idea, I had not entertained that one yet, retaining the 2 stock tanks and installing a 3rd. Since the stock ones are what, 8gal.? Having a 33gal. back there would probably be a difficult swap. But, retaining the stock ones, and using a 3rd tank, would be a good solution to the small stock capacity. To me, the exhaust is something that is so easy to change, it could be routed around something that is not as so easily changable, like a fuel tank/cell. I will have to try to search out a 3-way mechanical selector....
Old 11-19-2008, 09:25 PM   #9
Michael Mayben

The three-way valves are available from many parts sources, just a plain old weatherhead piece, I pay about $30 for 'em local. Absolutely identical to the 2nd gen brass two way valves that later Scout 80 used if equipped with duals. Here's a shot of my three way right after I did the mockup. The third port is plugged and is in the center of the "tee", ya can just barely see it.

I have a selector switch on the dash for each fuel gauge sender so the oem level gauge can read each tank separately.

The oem tanks were "rated" at 11 gallons if ya spill about two gallons on the ground when filling with them scruuball fillers! But we didn't givea shit when reglar gazz wuz only 19 centavos a gallon and we washed our shop clothes (and hands) in it! And spillin' petro on fire ants in tejas iz tha only way ta kill 'em!

With my highly modded oem tanks (filler necks are modernized), I can squeeze in about 9.75 gallons in each but if the temp comes up, one of 'em will puke through the vent which now runs to the ground and away from the exhaust pipe!!!

The original option dual tank kit for the s80 had no provision for switching, just a 1/4" "equalizer" tube connecting the two tanks, how stoopid can we be???? That way the fuel level gauge would read only after tha dam thang set for about 30 minutes while the fuel levels "equalized"!!! That was a typical "agricultural" deal since the Scout 80 was just an evolved manure spreader witha pump motor!
Attached Images

Last edited by Michael Mayben; 11-19-2008 at 09:33 PM..
Old 11-20-2008, 03:40 PM   #10
Carl Wiese

Member Number: 13

Mike,

I've got some random pictures of fuel tanks laying around. Do you want me to shoot some pictures and post them up, just for reference. Off the top of my head I have Scout 80 saddle tanks, c-series under passenger's side tank, with fill neck and d-series under passenger's side tank with fill neck.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:27 PM   #11
Matt Main

Carl,

although im not Mike, it probably would not be a bad idea just for reference sake. I'd say go ahead and post up so we can have somewhat of a god fuel tank database complete with photos. A other idea (running up the flagpole) would be to have some measurements on the tanks. This May help folks out in the future for custom fitment purposes? Just an idea...
Old 11-21-2008, 07:45 AM   #12
Michael Mayben

Any posts here of appropriate fuel tank alternatives for IH-related products would be welcomed! Most especially with basic dimensions and location of filler neck port, pickup/sender location, and any other penetrations.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:37 PM   #13
Trukker

Member Number: 323

Any IH related fuel system type questions okay here? The pyramid valve on my 73 1210 camper special just quit working on me and I was wondering if they can be taken apart and repaired. I found one at Travelall parts dot com but they want $395 for it. Yikes!

P.s. When ya makin yer way back here to see yer long lost cuzzins @ hill country binders? I really enjoyed yer last visit.

P.p.s. Fuel was $1.49 this weekend so I poured some on the fire ant hills by my drive way
73 1210 Camper Special - "Pappy"
64 Model 80 - "Earl"
62 Model 80 - "Babe"
30.06 M1 Garand

and growing
Trukker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 11:10 AM   #14
Michael Mayben

Sorry I missed this trukker! Good ta hear from ya!

Yes, by all means the fullsize fuel tank selector valves are available inna "reconditioned" mode from IHPA! But ya won't find 'em in the online store, ya need ta ring the offishul landline to order!

Talk to Jeff about this and I can dropship ya one or ten! But we'll need yore core valve back so it can be rebuilt too!

Ain't makin' tha trip south this year, I'm still payin' the debt accumulated during last years trip! But hopefully sumtime in '09 we'll be back down home!

Litein' off that ant pile is even more fun...I luv ta hear them bastards squeal when incinerated! If ya use this e10 alkeegazz shit, it just makes 'em drunk if ya don't lite it off!

Yawl stay in touch!

Last edited by ihpartsjeff; 09-04-2013 at 10:06 AM..
Old 11-25-2008, 11:09 PM   #15
gotscout73

Member Number: 491

I have a 1973 Scout that I have a lot of trouble filling with gas at service stations. Some stations are for some reason easier than others but still a big pain. I have taken to filling a gas can and then fill my tank. Any thoughts at to what the problem might be? I live in CA, but don't need any emission stuff any longer for this year, so I can take anything off I want. Thanks.
gotscout73 is offline   Reply With Quote