IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Basic Tech Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 08-31-2018, 06:19 AM   #16
mbiver

Member Number: 9359
Default Re: thermo vacuum switch

Thanks again. Thought I'd be smart and take your advice. Pulled the tank and hoses. Got a poly tank and related odds and ends on order from you now. Fuel neck filler looks decent but did have rust inside the bottom of the neck so took it to a local guy who cleans them out and coats them with fuel tank liner. I'd like to try and rebuild the carb, for now. Both as a learning experience and to try and keep it stock. But I'm not married to the thing or to keeping it totally stock, so if I can't get it just right, I'll definitely take your advice on the new carb as well. Since I have the tank off, thought I'd fix the wiring a little. Some of the wires to the taillights were literally falling apart and exposed. Others just cut from rubbing on the body. I'll start a new thread for that in the electrical section.
Prestolite distributor with petronix.
Fuel System: New 19Gal. Poly tank/Sending unit from IHPartsAmerica, Nylon fuel line, relined original fuel neck filler tube, rebuilt Holley 2245 Carb.
Unknown non-oem modifications
mbiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 07:36 AM   #17
mbiver

Got my 2245 carb all cleaned up and rebuilt. Does anyone know how many pounds of torque to use when mounting it back on the engine? I didnít see it in the service manual. Thanks!
Fuel System: New 19Gal. Poly tank/Sending unit from IHPartsAmerica, Nylon fuel line, relined original fuel neck filler tube, rebuilt Holley 2245 Carb.
Old 10-03-2018, 08:00 AM   #18
Scoutboy74

Member Number: 453

Not many. I would be thinking more in terms of inches rather than pounds. Use an "educated elbow" method. Snug, but not too tight. You don't want to warp it or break it.

Coal Trickle - '99 Dodge Ram 2500 Q-Cab SWB 4x4 - 5.9L 24V CTD/NV4500
Hooty - '74 SII - 392/TF727/D20/3.73 D44's/Spartan FA/Krac-lok RA/RC 4" SUA/34x10.5 TSLs/33g Fuel/HFT 8k winch
Mongo - '71 1210 Std Cab 2WD - 345/TF727/RA17 D60 4.10 Trac-lok - "Mongo love candy! Duh, huh, huh!"
Scoutboy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 06:40 AM   #19
mbiver

Thanks, @Scoutboy74. I just hand tightened and tried to be careful. Fired her up and no leaks at the base...Was a leak at the fuel inlet where I put an elbow adapter. Just had to tighten it, though. She runs A LOT better. Still not 100% but at least it will sit and idle without dying. The power valve piston was frozen...couldn't even turn it with a pliers (I was being very careful and also used a rag so I didn't scratch it). I dunked it in a can of carburetor cleaner for about a half hour and sprayed some more gumout down the vacuum port leading to it and then very very gently tapped straight down on the piston with the plastic end of my screwdriver...totally freed up. Power Valve had thick gunk underneath it as well...very messy. Anyway, thanks again!