IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Basic Tech Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 09-17-2018, 03:42 AM   #1
pplaut

Member Number: 9180
Default Paint Code for Dashboard

1966 1100a Travelall - anyone know where I can get the paint code value for the dash?
Thanks!
P,
pplaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:57 AM   #2
Gunfighter97

Member Number: 9260
Default Re: Paint Code for Dashboard

If consistent with my experience, a 65 pickup, unless your dash has been repainted/painted diferently than the rest of your vehicle, it will be on your LST(this assuming its a steel dash and not padded); for example mine is listed toward the bottom: 902 white cap white
(same color everywhere on the vehicle)
Hope that helps. Also you can have your LST recovered here but I think I've said that before on one of your other posts. Any pics?

1965 IH D11004x4 "Sherman"
1946 Dodge Job Rated half ton "Rusty"
1973 Fiat 850 Spider "il Cannoli"
Half of a dead 1958 Apache "Mad Dura-Max(to be)"

VOTE!VOTE!VOTE!VOTE!VOTE!VOTE!VOTE!
"SHHHHH! Be wary, wary quiet! Im hunting turkeys"
Happy Thanksgiving!
RIP belts everywhere
Gunfighter97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 03:15 PM   #3
pplaut

I need to order the LST :/ Keep forgetting.
it is the standard kinda metallic tan that I have seen around.
The top is indeed padded and looking for replacement vinyl.
If you know of where I can find it.. :O
Old 09-17-2018, 05:08 PM   #4
Gunfighter97

Hmmhmm yes the vinyl dash. I wondered since my 65 has a steel dash and my 66 1200 parts truck has a shredded vinyl rats nest. I think I saw a fiberglass reproduction online once, you can google "ih travelall dash" and look for the right one under images. Ill look for it later and if I can find it Ill post you a link. My advice: unless your neck is long enough to conect your fore head with the dash in event of an accident, look up auto farm usa, hes in Idaho and has 4 or 5 round bodys, one with a veeeery nice white steel dash. Was also very fair on prices. I picked a fuel gauge out of this truck in person. Had about 2 inches of dust on it, looked like it had been lost in space perfectly preserved. On his site, its in the brown and white heavy truck with no wheels.

Happy Thanksgiving!
RIP belts everywhere
Old 09-17-2018, 06:47 PM   #5
Gunfighter97

Here it was, a reproduction vinyl dash pad, hopefully I wont upset the mods with this link. This is the only line I could find on a reproduction dash for a round body.
http://www.justdashes.com/2011/06/ju...-reproduction/
You will have to call for a quote, there was a complete steel dash with some bits and bobs still attached for $250 i saw while looking wich may well be cheaper.
*edit: you may also consider an atempt at restoring the original pad with available filler and recovering with vinyl

Happy Thanksgiving!
RIP belts everywhere

Last edited by Gunfighter97; 09-17-2018 at 06:54 PM..
Old 09-18-2018, 04:20 AM   #6
pplaut

Man, that reproduction looks perfect :O I'm afraid of the price. :O
I am a stickler for things looking original.. much to my pain and suffering and an empty wallet.
Old 09-18-2018, 04:26 AM   #7
pplaut

Hell, I might just send them the whole dam thing.. I got a lot of work to do behind the dash anyways. Gonna have to refab some metal for the vents.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:23 AM   #8
Gunfighter97

Yea, that doesnt look cheap, but I remembered it from when I prospected buying a later truck that needed one. As to whether yours would be cheaper to restore, they probably wont tell you till they have your pad in their shop. I have a 73 FixItAgainTony 850 Spyder that I was doing alot of research on, apparently its not impossible to refurb a vinyl covered dash on ones own. The process involved stripping the vinyl off, filing the cracks open and filling cracks/resurfacing the foam layer with this filler, then sanding down, resurfacing again and sanding again, then the recovering. You could probably save yourself an arm and perhaps a leg too via diy. I've been told theres several options on the vent rust, one is to cap the cowl vent off and remove the entire duct under the dash, 2 repair whats there and somehow Improve the ability of "junk" to drain past while also adding acces points for cleaning, 3 was more my idea although I probably am not the first to think of it, remove the duct, build a smaller box under the cowl vent with a sloped bottom and a drain point out the fire wall or tranny tunnel, with a couple vents under the dash on either side to flush hot air from the cab, and also an access for cleaning. Im not highly skilled in body work mind you, I still havent addressed this on my truck. Depending on how bad the rust is you may decide to remove the vents entirely and open up the drains on either side. Ive seen trucks in parts yards so rusty the vents were lying on the floor under the dash The pics here are of mine, from what I've seen around I consider it "not bad" worst Ive seen was a truck I picked parts out of, the cab would make crunchy noises if you put your hand at the top of the door frame and leaned.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180622_105534.jpg (64.8 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 20180618_100029_HDR.jpg (45.8 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 20180618_092912.jpg (38.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 20180618_092835.jpg (38.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 20180618_100037.jpg (41.4 KB, 18 views)

Happy Thanksgiving!
RIP belts everywhere

Last edited by Gunfighter97; 09-19-2018 at 07:35 AM..
Old 09-18-2018, 04:11 PM   #9
pplaut

I looked at your pics. You are in a better place than me.
I got holes man.. just holes.
Will be fabricating some sheet metal.
P.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:12 PM   #10
Gunfighter97

If you are going to be doing that yourself I would be greatly interested to see pics of the progress. I will have to address it eventually as unfortunately it will only get worse, it would help to see whats In there. This is my first ever IH product, and I'm so impressed with the design of everything thats in it I can't bring myself to "restore" that duct. Im my eyes the rest of the truck is so perfect it would be a sin not to design that flaw out. Maybe I could blueprint some kind of duct system that could be welded in in place of the original? I've toyed with an idea but have no measurements as I dont want to hack mine open untill Im ready to have the rig down for a month or more. The problem source for those who may not understand why these cabs rust here, is that the vent in front of the windshield allows in dirt, that eventually settles stacked against the vent ports that protrude upward into the duct, the drains are small as to promote airflow into the cab via the vents. The problem is the dirt eventually traps moisture and the vents can also clog thus rust starts. My idea is just rearange the geometry of the functions already present by slightly enlarging the drains, capping the existing vents, adding in "clean out" ports, and creating a box that inducts air from downward facing ports that are off the bottom of the duct and rout the existing vent cables to vents from something available like a cheby or gummy motors product. The key will be removing obstructions from the bottom of the duct promoting proper draining. The orriginal setup can be restored with the addition of cleaning ports, but I cant help but want to solve it once and for all without having to worry about cleaning there all the time.

Happy Thanksgiving!
RIP belts everywhere
Old 09-19-2018, 06:20 AM   #11
pplaut

@Gunfighter - I will be doing most of this myself.
I will start a new topic specifically addressing this. The design is definitely a problem. The too is my first IH restore. The Travelall I just purchased is almost a mirror image of the one we had as a kid. Right down to the paint. Well, dad took some cans of spray paint to the thing, so in its last rusting days it was a different color. Oh, yea, and there was my little brother, like two days after Dad brought the thing home, testing the functionality of the cigarette lighter on the push buttons of the radio. LOL oh, the memories of that Travelall. And, the head-on collision in a blinding blizzard all seven of us survived unscathed. And then the time I tried to climb a muddy hill and brought it back home to dad with a knock in the engine. :O
Old 09-19-2018, 06:55 AM   #12
Gunfighter97

Haha! Theres no doubt then the memories shall live on and be added to! Thats awesome! I will be looking forward to seeing your progress, you should start up a build thread for it for all us roundbody lovers to drool on. In other notes about paints for your dash I did a bit of looking around and found a site with a list of IH color sheets going all the way back to the late 30s. My "902 white cap white" was in there, no doubt your paints will be with the sheet coresponding to your year. I googled IH travelall paint, I'm not a paint expert but there was some #s on these sheets as well but no idea if they represent the makeup of the paint.

*edit: I think ive found it: 4298 Apache Gold Metalic

Happy Thanksgiving!
RIP belts everywhere

Last edited by Gunfighter97; 09-19-2018 at 07:26 AM..
Old 09-23-2018, 01:51 PM   #13
pplaut

Under which topic would I start a build post?
I like the idea. It also gives me an incentive to document.
Old 09-23-2018, 03:25 PM   #14
1975IH200

Member Number: 731

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplaut View Post
Under which topic would I start a build post?
I like the idea. It also gives me an incentive to document.
-->Sewing Circle-->Readers Rides

My Junk --> 1975 "200HD" AWD Truck
My Cave location --> Western North Carolina
1975IH200 is offline   Reply With Quote