IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Suspension Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 05-08-2017, 02:22 PM   #1
harrywt

Member Number: 1181
Default Dana44 Hub Bearing Retainer Nut Torque

I am prepping Scout for move to and operation in LA. I checked all of the wheel beariings. In the front I have the retainer rings with the set screws instead of double nuts. My manuals are packed away so I torqued from memory.

I used 40 ft/lbs, am I going back in?
harrywt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:00 PM   #2
Scout-It-Out

Member Number: 904
Default Re: Dana44 Hub Bearing Retainer Nut Torque

Sounds good to me. I don't have the tool to torque them. I just give it a light tap with a screwdriver and hammer, then tighten the set screws. Doubt I've ever done 40ft lbs.

1979 Scout II, 304, 727, 3.73, 31s, Spartan locker rear, Powr-Lok front, Hydraulic Brake Booster, Custom bumpers
Scout-It-Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:11 PM   #3
harrywt

Sorry, I meant the spindle nut itself. The retainer ring I do exactly as you do.
Cheers,
harry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout-It-Out View Post
sounds good to me. I don't have the tool to torque them. I just give it a light tap with a screwdriver and hammer, then tighten the set screws. Doubt I've ever done 40ft lbs.
Old 05-12-2017, 05:55 AM   #4
ihpartsjeff
Administrator & Owner

Member Number: 1

That's probably too tight Harry. Once you tighten the inner nut against the wheel bearing you need to back the nut off by roughly an 1/8th of a turn otherwise the bearings May overheat. You actually want to feel a touch of play in the wheel bearings when checking them as in use they will heat up and expand taking up some of that looseness. Outer nut can be done like both you and Andy already mentioned.

Jeff Ismail
IH Parts America - Owner
IH Sierra Fall Rallye Event Coordinator
Binder Books
CPT - Crawler Proven Technology
(530)274-1795
ihpartsjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 05:59 PM   #5
harrywt

Just to be sure, I have the lock ring withthe set screws, not a double spindle nut. What I know is that with the double nut you have to play this game of tightening the inner nut and backing off "just right" so that when you tighten up the jam nut the total result is the proper torque.

What I am recalling from the service manual is that with the lock ring you just torque up, rotate a bit to seat and then torque to spec. Then spcial washer then lock ring and you are done.

In the beginning I couldn't remember if spec was 30 ft-lbs or 40 ft-lbs. Now you are saying that one should back off the spindle nut even with the lock ring set up. And I am having a fuzzy memory of this

So I am not questioning your assertion, Jeff, just making absolutely sure that we are talking about the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihpartsjeff View Post
That's probably too tight Harry. Once you tighten the inner nut against the wheel bearing you need to back the nut off by roughly an 1/8th of a turn otherwise the bearings May overheat. You actually want to feel a touch of play in the wheel bearings when checking them as in use they will heat up and expand taking up some of that looseness. Outer nut can be done like both you and Andy already mentioned.
Old 05-13-2017, 03:23 PM   #6
harrywt

Did a web search. How did we keep our scouts running before the internet? For me, 30+ years ago, it was junkyards, mechanics at my Dad's bar and Bill Thebert at the Binder Bulletin.

Somebody scanned the relevant manual page. I did remember the 30 ft-lbs, I forgot the back of 1/4 turn part as Jeff points out. However, when I have the set screw locking ring, I generally just torque it up to 30 ft-lbs and have done

Always good to discuss things, especially for us weekend warriors.

Name:  IH FA wheel bearing sdjust 001.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  45.7 KB

Tags
bearing, dana44, hub, torque