IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Fabrication
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 02-26-2012, 09:36 PM   #31
SylvestersCustoms

Member Number: 2291
Default Welding tech

Hey guys im currently building a Dana 44 and im going to truss the axle with 2x6 rectangular tubing .120 wall thickness mild steel, my question is when I get to the cast of the pumpkin I know from welding with a mig you should pre heat it however I tig weld all my stuff now with a miller syncrowave 250. Is there anything I should know? Do I still need to pre heat the cast even with tig? Or can I fluctuate the heat to accomplish this before making a puddle? Any thoughts would be appriciated thanks travis
Old 04-08-2012, 08:31 PM   #32
Stacy's Dad

Member Number: 4594
Default Re: Welding tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylvesterscustoms View Post
hey guys im currently building a Dana 44 and im going to truss the axle with 2x6 rectangular tubing .120 wall thickness mild steel, my question is when I get to the cast of the pumpkin I know from welding with a mig you should pre heat it however I tig weld all my stuff now with a miller syncrowave 250. Is there anything I should know? Do I still need to pre heat the cast even with tig? Or can I fluctuate the heat to accomplish this before making a puddle? Any thoughts would be appriciated thanks travis
My thought would be pre and post heat . Its the diffrence in cooling rates your worried about . At least that has ben my experance .
Old 05-06-2012, 05:57 PM   #33
Rock Tractor
IHPA Tech Moderator

Member Number: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacy's Dad View Post
my thought would be pre and post heat . Its the diffrence in cooling rates your worried about . At least that has ben my experance .
Just saw this. You are exactly right Joe.

Dysfunctional RockCrawlers
NorCal Scouts
DANGER RANGER RACING
Rock Tractor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:08 PM   #34
blhensley

Member Number: 1381
Question Re: Welding tech

I just purchased a stick/tig welder and in the process of setting it up for a Scout II body restoration. I've been stick welding forever but am new to tig. Any suggestions for a beginner to tig welding and how do you rate tig vs mig welding for body panels?
blhensley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:48 PM   #35
Scout-It-Out

Member Number: 904

Most prefer the mig with .023 hard wire (used with gas). You can get the panel on without a lot of heat distortion.

What tig did you get?

1979 Scout II, 304, 727, 3.73, 31s, Spartan locker rear, Powr-Lok front, Hydraulic Brake Booster, Custom bumpers
Scout-It-Out is offline   Reply With Quote