IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Gas Engine Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 08-31-2013, 01:14 PM   #1
beeffarmer1210

Member Number: 6398
Default v392e head interchange

I am in the process of building a 392 for my 71 1210 which has a cracked block and found a v392e imp cooling which is in good shape except one cracked head can a non emissions head be put on or is there valve interference issues I can see no difference in head thickness or chamber looking at it just smog ports also what cam does the best for all around use in work truck with an auto trans
beeffarmer1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:34 PM   #2
Robert Kenney
Super Moderator

Member Number: 543
Default Re: v392e head interchange

Only the later design ic head can go on a ic block. The difference is in the block to head cooling passage port design.

The non "e" head also has a full diameter combustion chamber and will be poor match to put on an engine of either type with a flattop piston...

You will need to find an ic head to replace the cracked one... Thats the deal there. Sorry it was not what you wanted to hear/read..

Check out the ic/non ic thread sticky near the top of this form so you can see the differences between ic and nonic 392's

“Don't lift until the fear of death over comes the fear of speed.” Author Unknown
Robert Kenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:35 AM   #3
beeffarmer1210

The head that I found is also a imp cooling but does not have smog ports will this work I don't have the part #s in front of me but I know they the same except the last digit
Old 09-01-2013, 03:38 AM   #4
beeffarmer1210

I forgot to add that I am putting new pistons in it and sealed power list a h996cp for my block does this make sense
Old 09-01-2013, 08:21 AM   #5
Robert Kenney
Super Moderator

Member Number: 543

Post a picture of the combustion chamber side of the head and I'll be able to tell you if it will work...

“Don't lift until the fear of death over comes the fear of speed.” Author Unknown
Robert Kenney is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cam, head, valve