IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Gas Engine Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 08-19-2013, 07:38 AM   #1
harrywt

Member Number: 1181
Default need a lifter retaining clip

Hi guys,

I put a long post with pics in the " I-4 and sv engine non-oiling rocker assembly" thread last night. In it I mention that I had a retaining clip go sailing away. How do I get a new one?

Cheers,
harry
harrywt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:54 AM   #2
Robert Kenney
Super Moderator

Member Number: 543
Default Re: need a lifter retaining clip

I just tossed all of my old IH lifters this weekend.
maybe some one can snag one for you. Or buy a lifter..

“Don't lift until the fear of death over comes the fear of speed.” Author Unknown
Robert Kenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:05 AM   #3
harrywt

Buying a lifter does get the job done...
Old 08-19-2013, 03:35 PM   #4
Mark Pietz

Member Number: 2143

Pm me an address and I'll mail you one.
Mark Pietz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:08 PM   #5
jeff campbell

Member Number: 39

I can mail you 1 also...hope its a good lifter, or your wasting your time,,is the bottom flat ? No concave ness ? Jeff
jeff campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:36 AM   #6
harrywt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff campbell View Post
I can mail you 1 also...hope its a good lifter, or your wasting your time,,is the bottom flat ? No concave ness ? Jeff
Unfortunately, very concave, the odd thing is that all the passenger lifters were identically concave, pics are all of same lifter, also odd (to my inexperinced eye) is that the bottom of the lifter is completely uniform

Name:  Tapp_1.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  28.1 KB

Name:  Tapp_2.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  41.7 KB

Name:  Tapp_3.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  30.8 KB
Old 08-21-2013, 08:45 AM   #7
FDChappie

Member Number: 3742

Dude, you really really really need a new cam and lifters. The metal grinding of the lifter and cam lobes will destroy the rest of your engine.
FDChappie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:23 AM   #8
Robert Kenney
Super Moderator

That curve is indicative of a lot of miles. That is not a catostrophic failure event occuring but the normal wear process. Is it desired? No but if you maintain the lifter location integrity, they could run for another 100k miles.
The so called metal coming off of them, is not anymore than a normal running engine..

Now there is a flip side to this, if you end up needing new cam bearings don't use the old cam ans lifters. The work to replace the bearings is the biggest part of the project not the cost of a new bump stick kit...
If you do need cam bearings I would roll in new rod and main bearings. You May even install new rings and ridge ream the bores if needed.. If it doesnt use any oil just install new cam, rod, and main bearings along with a cam and lifters..

“Don't lift until the fear of death over comes the fear of speed.” Author Unknown
Old 08-21-2013, 04:17 PM   #9
FDChappie

With that much of a cup the cam lobe is also very worn. So yes while the engine May run it probably won't run very well due to reduced lift and will likely make a lot of rattle in the valve train.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:02 PM   #10
Robert Kenney
Super Moderator

Well chap, your statement about metal making was where I was pointing my disagreement. It was not a correct statment.
The op was happy with how it ran previously. If the cam bearings are ok leave the cam asis.

Old 08-22-2013, 02:04 PM   #11
harrywt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert kenney View Post
well chap, your statement about metal making was where I was pointing my disagreement. It was not a correct statment.
The op was happy with how it ran previously. If the cam bearings are ok leave the cam asis.
Right, metal is wearing off all of the time, part of why you change the oil and have a filter.

So it seems that I will be removing the crank? (see post in " default I-4 and sv engine non-oiling rocker assembly ") or I might as well replace all of the bearings while I've got the engine all apart?

Btw, engine doesn't go thru oil at all, part of why I am so surprised to see the rocker assy so cruddy and the lifters so worn, engine had felt so tight, but I think I must be hitting the steeper part of the downhill slide....
Old 08-22-2013, 03:27 PM   #12
FDChappie

Wow quite a progression on this post. Went from needing a retaining clip to almost a complete bottom end rebuild.

Is it just an optical illusion or are those lifters concaved about .125" in the middle? If all the lifters and cam lobes are like that it adds up to a lot of metal.

The reason the engine needs to be pulled is that there is a cam cover behind the flywheel that needs to be removed to get the back cam bearing out.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:16 PM   #13
harrywt

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdchappie View Post
wow quite a progression on this post. Went from needing a retaining clip to almost a complete bottom end rebuild.

Is it just an optical illusion or are those lifters concaved about .125" in the middle? If all the lifters and cam lobes are like that it adds up to a lot of metal.

The reason the engine needs to be pulled is that there is a cam cover behind the flywheel that needs to be removed to get the back cam bearing out.
Yes, it's paralleling another set of posts in " default I-4 and sv engine non-oiling rocker assembly " I put out a request here for a clip before I realized how deep the water was becoming...
Old 08-22-2013, 09:08 PM   #14
Robert Kenney
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrywt View Post

So it seems that I will be removing the crank? (see post in " default I-4 and sv engine non-oiling rocker assembly ") or I might as well replace all of the bearings while I've got the engine all apart?
You can easily replace the bearings with the crank installed. Once you loosen the main caps, the crank will drop a few thousenths. You roll out the old and roll in the new. A bit of finess is needed but not a tough job.

All of the back and fourth aside. Pull the pan and see what the old lady says.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:24 PM   #15
jeff campbell

Member Number: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrywt View Post
unfortunately, very concave, the odd thing is that all the passenger lifters were identically concave, pics are all of same lifter, also odd (to my inexperinced eye) is that the bottom of the lifter is completely uniform

Attachment 20843

Attachment 20844

Attachment 20845
The reason for the wear being uniform, is the lifters rotate,while in action. Jeff
jeff campbell is offline   Reply With Quote