IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Ignition Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 08-15-2011, 03:40 PM   #91
towpainter3

Member Number: 549
Default Re: IHC Vehicle Distributor Identification

Holley caps are the same. The cap should have female type connectors on the top.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:45 PM   #92
Bill Bennett

Member Number: 747

I was told the internal height of the caps and rotor originally on the IH engines is slighty different from the cap and rotor used on the Ford engines. As either cap and rotor will fit on the IH Holley distributor, it is easier to ask for the cap - with 'matching rotor', for the Ford engine. Look for the cap with brass connectors.
if you want your 304 to be different, use the Ford duraspark II cap, rotor and adapter. That is the larger cap with male connectors. Use the 8mm plug wires from a 1979 Scout II that came with the prestolite distributor. Bosch wire set #09758. The thermostat housing will need a bit of grinding to allow the larger cap to fit. Maybe 10 minutes with a dremmel sanding drum. Don't need to remove the housing from the motor.
Bill Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:46 PM   #93
Super Dave

Member Number: 2569
Location: Sherwood, Oregon - Home of the 5A State Football Champs!

History:

1974 series 100 pickup with an sv345 and tf727.
Holley 22xx carb (r6676a - 448670*c91 - 0033) soon to be swapped for a 2300.

Starts great - one pump and it fires up. Has typical flat spot off idle - hence the replacement with a 2300.

Distributor:

I have what appears to be an IH/Holley 1510 distributor which has undergone a pertronix 1481 conversion. Two wires exiting the distributor going to the coil.

No points or condenser as seen in the photographs and a working vacuum advance.

The rotor has a bit of scaring on one corner of the contactor and the contacts in the distributor cap have buildup and scarring in the same "corner" location.
question:
what causes this and how do I address it?

You will note that the black bushing which holds the rotor, has a hi-tech zip-tie that seems to be shimming the rotor...
questions:
is this a typical IH convention or a po virus to address a lost part? What should be there or how should I treat this?

The coil seems to be the original but at this point, who knows.
question:
would I be better served with a better coil to go with the "pointless" distributor?

Any input from those in the "know" are much appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dist. w-Rotor.jpg (41.0 KB, 573 views)
File Type: jpg Dist. w-o Rotor.jpg (41.1 KB, 476 views)
File Type: jpg Rotor.jpg (31.6 KB, 471 views)
File Type: jpg Dist. Cap.jpg (44.4 KB, 617 views)
File Type: jpg Coil.jpg (54.2 KB, 945 views)
Old 08-18-2011, 01:17 PM   #94
Michael Mayben
IHPA Tech Moderator - Retired & No Longer Online

Member Number: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by super dave View Post
history:

1974 series 100 pickup with an sv345 and tf727.
Holley 22xx carb (r6676a - 448670*c91 - 0033) soon to be swapped for a 2300.

Starts great - one pump and it fires up. Has typical flat spot off idle - hence the replacement with a 2300.

Distributor:

I have what appears to be an IH/Holley 1510 distributor which has undergone a pertronix 1481 conversion. Two wires exiting the distributor going to the coil.

No points or condenser as seen in the photographs and a working vacuum advance.

The rotor has a bit of scaring on one corner of the contactor and the contacts in the distributor cap have buildup and scarring in the same "corner" location.
question:
what causes this and how do I address it?

You will note that the black bushing which holds the rotor, has a hi-tech zip-tie that seems to be shimming the rotor...
questions:
is this a typical IH convention or a po virus to address a lost part? What should be there or how should I treat this?

The coil seems to be the original but at this point, who knows.
question:
would I be better served with a better coil to go with the "pointless" distributor?

Any input from those in the "know" are much appreciated.
What you have is a very old design pertronix unit. Something produced in the '80 timeframe. No problem with 'em as long as they work, I have two of those myself in Holley distributors removed from ihc bus apps that ran 392 engines. Look at post #3 in this thread and you will see those in clear pics.

The ziptie is some sort of po workaround in order to set the rotor in some kind of position...never seen anything like that in all my years of dealing with this stuff.

The actual rotor wear along with the corresponding etching on the cap simply means the parts are used well beyond their normal life expectancy. Replace 'em with new parts (easily available) and move on.

If the coil is functional, there is absolutely no reason to replace it. The correct coil for these applications would have a primary resistance measurement of between 1.5 and 1.8ohms when cold. That means there are thousands of coils out there at a price between $16 and $65 that will fit the bill, I have no problem with running the least expensive coils I can locate. Same coil was also used on all point ignition GM vehicles over the years (v8 engine apps only).

Regarding the carburetion, why not just recondition it instead of replace?

http://vimeo.com/8149690
Michael Mayben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:47 PM   #95
Super Dave

Member Number: 2569
Location: Sherwood, Oregon - Home of the 5A State Football Champs!

Michael,

thanks for the reply.

My comments and questions below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael mayben View Post
what you have is a very old design pertronix unit. Something produced in the '80 timeframe. No problem with 'em as long as they work, I have two of those myself in Holley distributors removed from ihc bus apps that ran 392 engines. Look at post #3 in this thread and you will see those in clear pics.
will the more current version pertronix (real 1481 I assume) be a simple plug-n-play?

The ziptie is some sort of po workaround in order to set the rotor in some kind of position...never seen anything like that in all my years of dealing with this stuff.
if I "go current" on the "pointless" pertronix, is it safe to assume that I will no longer need the nasa zippitie doo dah?

The actual rotor wear along with the corresponding etching on the cap simply means the parts are used well beyond their normal life expectancy. Replace 'em with new parts (easily available) and move on.
roger that! I would like to upgrade the distributor cap for one with male connectors... Which I suppose will require new wires with appropriate ends as well. A current pertronix should address the rotor replacement issue.

Is there a specific male connector cap?

If the coil is functional, there is absolutely no reason to replace it. The correct coil for these applications would have a primary resistance measurement of between 1.5 and 1.8ohms when cold. That means there are thousands of coils out there at a price between $16 and $65 that will fit the bill, I have no problem with running the least expensive coils I can locate. Same coil was also used on all point ignition GM vehicles over the years (v8 engine apps only).
my sentiments exactly. If it ain't broke why break it!

Regarding the carburetion, why not just recondition it instead of replace?
it wasn't running right before I bought it, so it was rebuilt by a Ford mechanic (po). It starts nicely now, but craps out from an idle after reaching temp. I have read through the 22xx thread and there is a lot of "tweaking" that seems to be needed, only to get one to two years of service between builds... Assuming I did the recon right. The 2300 gets really good comments from those that have made the swap, so that was my first inclination, given I need "dependable" not "disposable" right now for my work rig.

I will be posting a carb thread and we can pick it up on the flip side.

Thanks michael!

Old 08-18-2011, 02:41 PM   #96
Michael Mayben
IHPA Tech Moderator - Retired & No Longer Online

Member Number: 10

Replacing the current p-tron 1481 with the current version will allow the distributor to operate in exactly the same manner, no other changes needed. I believe the current version you have has an issue with the top of the shaft (thus the tiewrap) where the rotor lines up but can't tell from the pictures.

For a "male" terminal cap, you can use the common prestoloite cap for the IH distributor, but that will require some mods with the dremel and sometimes they can be difficult to align properly. You must also use the companion prestolite rotor for the prestolite cap.

I use the msd cap, rotor and plug wire keeper for the Ford duraspark (early version) on some of my installs, those take a good bit of work with a bench grinder to make 'em fit but the work can't be seen once installed. I also use the msd "streetfire" plug wires with those caps, but any female termination plug cable set will also work. All my personal Holley distributor setups I run have the msd exterior parts along with a p-tron 1481, some sort of 6-series msd or mallory box, and a companion low primary resistance coil from msd, that is a current state-of-the-art system that is easily achievable.

I have extensive experience with the Holley 2300 conversion, I've been doing those for aver 10 years. But...now that I've "learned" the sub-routines for the Holley 22xx, I have no issues with making those live a long life if properly assembled. But then...I do many of those each year.

http://vimeo.com/8149690
Michael Mayben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 05:20 PM   #97
ONE800

Member Number: 1852

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill bennett View Post
I was told the internal height of the caps and rotor originally on the IH engines is slighty different from the cap and rotor used on the Ford engines. As either cap and rotor will fit on the IH Holley distributor, it is easier to ask for the cap - with 'matching rotor', for the Ford engine. Look for the cap with brass connectors.
if you want your 304 to be different, use the Ford duraspark II cap, rotor and adapter. That is the larger cap with male connectors. Use the 8mm plug wires from a 1979 Scout II that came with the prestolite distributor. Bosch wire set #09758. The thermostat housing will need a bit of grinding to allow the larger cap to fit. Maybe 10 minutes with a dremmel sanding drum. Don't need to remove the housing from the motor.
Please respond to bills post. I'm very curious about this info.

Thanks
ONE800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 05:57 PM   #98
Bill Bennett

Member Number: 747

Well, what do you need? I can show pictures if it will help. I made the conversion 3 years ago. Seems to be working fine. After I completed the conversion, I was told it couldn't be done because the thermostat housing would be in the way. I just laughed and replied, it's too late now, it allready done!
Bill Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:32 PM   #99
jtc3407

Member Number: 2223

Just want to make sure what I have read. I believe I have a Holley aluminum distributor.
IH p/n is 360 514 c91. I just want to confirm that so I can then ask what would be the proper pertronix ignition kit would be? 1483 or 1481?

Thanks
jtc3407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:36 PM   #100
RobertC

Member Number: 517

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtc3407 View Post
just want to make sure what I have read. I believe I have a Holley aluminum distributor.
IH p/n is 360 514 c91. I just want to confirm that so I can then ask what would be the proper pertronix ignition kit would be? 1483 or 1481?

Thanks
Nobody (here) can probably tell which distributor by the part number - there are too many and I doubt anyone has all the parts books.

You need to supply more info - year of vehicle; type of vehicle; and engine (of course, there is a small chance that the motor or even distributor has been swapped.)

or take the distributor cap (rotor and dust cover if still there) off and compare yours to the pictures in this thread.

If it is a "basic" points Holley 1510 distributor (60's - early 70's); then, pertronix 1481 is correct.

If it is an "electronic trigger" distributor (gold box, prestolite, ???); then, pertronix 1483 is correct.

You can probably double check the part numbers on the pertronix web site.

Forgot to add -- there are newer versions of pertronix (pertronix II?)- not sure of the part numbers (1481a and 1483a ???). You can "burn out" the "old" versions (1481 and 1483) by leaving the ignition key in the "on" position without the engine running.

Last edited by RobertC; 12-20-2011 at 05:43 PM..
RobertC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:48 PM   #101
jtc3407

Member Number: 2223

Sorry that was stupid.
Both come from a 1970 800 304. After further reading I believe it is the 1481 ill need. They look like the Holley's.
Thanks for your response.
jtc3407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:07 PM   #102
Redrod31

Member Number: 4974

Distributer id and diaphram avaibility. Here are some pics of my distri.that came out of my,
1970 Scout
196ci.
4 banger
85 k miles
4-wheel drive
4 speed, borg waner t-18
Dana 44 rear, Dana 27 front
IH distri.single point (?) gas
1904 single Holley
the # on the distri. Is 360724-c91
vacuum advance is 677-5 and it is frozen and won't move.
I am hoping that someone b4 me installed these stright points, when they should of installed "curved" points instead??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0419.jpg (35.0 KB, 359 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0415.jpg (33.9 KB, 320 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0421.jpg (24.3 KB, 304 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0414.jpg (27.5 KB, 416 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0420.jpg (33.5 KB, 394 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0416.jpg (35.3 KB, 446 views)
Redrod31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:42 PM   #103
Grumpy

Member Number: 5182

Okay, I think this May be a "compatibility" question. I am in the midst of getting a 345 ready to go in my sii, and have a pile of parts from a couple of sources, plus whatever is going to need to get reused off the 304 in the rig now. So, the info I would like help with:

sv8 345 e of unknown origin w/ front mounted oil dip stick
numbers under engine size - 1222169

cast delco point dizzy w/11100954 delco remy 0a7 on the tag around the shaft

anyone have any clue on these, or can point me somewhere. Would prefer not to use the Holley dizzy from the 304 unless I have to.

I will be using the msd box and coil that are on the 304 with the "new" engine. Will the crane igniter work okay?

Also will have 727 if that makes a hoot

Practicing Curmudgeon

1974 Scout II Work in progress
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:52 PM   #104
Scoutboy74

Member Number: 453

The crane module should be able to trigger the msd...guessing you've got the 6al? You might want to double check that through msd online tech support though as a safety. I think it would be wired up using the pertronix instructions. Too bad those crane units aren't still being made. Nice product at an affordable price. I have one in hooty's delco and I have a nib spare that I snaked off greedbay some years back. There is is p-tron ignitor iii that is compatible with the delco dizz, but them greedy sumbitches is plenty proud of 'em.

Coal Trickle - '99 Dodge Ram SLT 2500 Q-Cab SWB 4x4 - 5.9L 24V CTD/NV4500/8800# GVWR/12K# winch
Hooty - '74 SII 4x4 - 392/TF727/D20/3.73 D44's/Spartan FA/Krac-lok RA/RC 4" SUA/34x11.5 TSLs/33g Fuel/8K# winch
Lemuel - '72 1210 LWB 4x4 CS - 304/TF727/NP205/RA D60 4.10 - "Pull Lemuel, pull!"
Mongo - '71 1210 LWB 2WD - 345/TF727/RA17 D60 4.10 Krac-lok - "Mongo love candy! Duh, huh, huh!"
Scoutboy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:43 AM   #105
Grumpy

Member Number: 5182

Maybe I'll just stick with points for now...

Practicing Curmudgeon

1974 Scout II Work in progress
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote