IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Transfer Case Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 04-29-2011, 05:50 PM   #16
Dealbreaker74

Member Number: 697
Default Re: Drive line vibrations after 4" lift

My springs did not come with any shims. Looking at your pics, its apparent that the rear angle is much less than the angle at the xfr case. The shims are doing the opposite of what you want. Have you run the rig without shims (using the new springs)? If yes, and still getting vibration, I would consider installing your 2-degree shims but fat end of the wedge towards the rear (reverse of what you have). The shims installed as they are now are not helping your problem.
Also, check the crossmember mount under the trans. If its a worn out rubber stocker, it could be allowing the driveline to wander around at certain rpms. You want it to be tight, but still compliant. Using a jack, gently lift on the trans to see if the rubber allows it to move off the crossmember. Ihon sells good replacements.
Mocha Mike is spot on about the cv joint. In my other Scout, I installed a 700r4 trans and np241 xfr case. This shortened the driveline to the point that a cv was the only option. At that point, you need to shim the pinion gear right at the xfr case (like you're trying to do now).
If you have a drive shaft shop in your town, I would Mark the slip joint where it is now, and have the guy look it over. If the engagement is insufficient, he'll tell you. If the splines are played out, there's only one fix. Also, he can check the balance. Bad joints won't balance.
I don't think you have exceeded the limit with what you've done. But this kind of lift will bring into light problems you never sensed before.
Dealbreaker74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:12 PM   #17
OSUBEAVER

Member Number: 3315

Great advice everyone. I removed the shims and got two u-bolts away from finishing and test driving, but they stripped out bad. When I get it back together I will take it for a spin and let you know. The angle now definitely looks parallel to the transmission, so I'm hopeful it will return things to how they were before the lift. We will see.

Thanks and I will keep you all updated.

Jon
OSUBEAVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:53 AM   #18
OSUBEAVER

Thumbs up Re: Drive line vibrations after 4" lift

Ok shims out, purchased new u bolts and got it together. Problem solved! There is still a very very faint drone at the same rpm's I mentioned early in these posts, but they go away fast and almost sound normal (I'm probably hypersensitive now to those sounds). I think you guys were saying that some small sounds will be normal with a 4 inch lift anyways, right? I think I'm going to buy new u-joints and put them in just to be safe.

Thanks for the expertise - 4 months of frustration finally comes to an end.

Jon
Old 05-05-2011, 11:31 AM   #19
Dealbreaker74

Member Number: 697

Cool. I still think you'll notice a difference with new joints. They are common wear items and need to be replaced like brakes and tires. Plus, a lift stresses them more than stock height did.
You'll never forget the sound of bad joints!
Glad you got it going.
Dealbreaker74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 02:34 PM   #20
OSUBEAVER

To close this out, pulled the shims out, everything is good!

Tags
lift kits leaf springs, transfer case, vibrations