IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Diesel Engine Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 06-18-2015, 07:16 PM   #1
romo2000

Member Number: 7731
Default Diesel to what Gas Engine

As you will surely be able to tell, I am not mechanically inclined. I just bought a 1980 sight unseen Scout II diesel. Iíve included some pics. The truck is in good shape. One rust spot. Runs well but certainly doesn't drive well, but I haven't driven something from the 1980's in 20 years. The diesel is a dog. Just too slow for me. Is it worth it to swap the engine? About how much will that run? Bigger diesel or gas? I am not firm on a diesel, nor do I care about fuel economy, so if a gas engine is cheaper, more powerful and easier, then I would ask which one? Please be specific. I want the upper end of power which would still be a reasonable engine for a Scout? Or am I better off just selling it and starting a rebuild, because if I keep this one, I am planning on repainting it, adding marine stereo, acquiring a hard top, new dash, rhino liner, and lowering if a couple of inches if possible. Can I get that done for 10k more.
Thank you for any input.
Roman
btw- I paid $10k for it. The odometer is at 9,000, but letís assume it is 109,000.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2923.jpg (82.0 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2919.jpg (50.6 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2924.jpg (82.0 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2896.jpg (76.5 KB, 149 views)
romo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 04:41 AM   #2
blue smoke

Member Number: 4833
Default Re: Diesel to what Gas Engine

What you want to have done will be well over 10k (since you are having it done)

a diesel would not be what you want and if you change to any other diesel it will be more fabrication (more money)

you can do a ls swap with a 700r4 tranny which would set you back about 5k (assuming a good engine and only needing to rebuild the transmission. A decent paint job will be 5k at least this doesn't even cover any suspension work.

But to really answer your questions what is your goal? A mall cruiser or balls to the walls off road rig? Or something in between? Since you want to lower it I assume it is not going to be strictly a trail rig. Once you know what you plan on doing with it the more you can decide what direction to go
blue smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 06:18 AM   #3
romo2000

Thank you so much for your response. Yes will be something in between. There are no trails here in delaware so I will strictly use it on the beach. The beach will be no problem, so that aspect will be fine. Then I will plan on using it as a phone truck driver around town etc. No long drives (10-15 min) but sometimes up to 40 minutes. As far as lower it is concerned. I'd consider lowering it 2 inches if I could without changing rims and tires in the hopes that it May drive a little better. I realize that the higher it lifted, the worse it drives, but this is not a huge concern. This vehicle is not going to be my daily use vehicle. Do you think I would better selling it, taking my time and finding one which meets my goals for 20k or starting a project.
Roman
Old 06-19-2015, 10:35 AM   #4
blue smoke

Member Number: 4833

I personally would build my own but I have a well equipped shop and the tools and skills. I would be afraid that you May get in over your head and give up on it halfway thru.

You need to really understand your skill set and what you would be willing to learn. The internet can be helpful as well as misleading in how easy a project is. I can watch and read about heart surgery all I want. You want me to do yours? I think you get the idea.

If you go on the beach with that Scout or just about any Scout you will have rust repair till he33 freezes over. Scout are built with rust came without charge from the factory
blue smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 07:46 AM   #5
romo2000

I absolutely wouldn't be doing the work. So engine and paint $10k. Rhino and stereo 2-3k. So for 23k I could have exactly what I want or sell it and start a rebuild which I would hire someone to do it for me.