IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Sewing Circle > Reader's Ride's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 02-21-2016, 03:58 AM   #1
BRut

Member Number: 8030
Default 1950 L series the truck that started my addiction

Ok so it appears at least acouple people wanna see this pickup get slapped together ill warn you progress is really slow at times and I do everything myself and I mean everything from all the fab work to rebuilding all the drivetrain components to paint and body and I am by no means a professional at any of it, I just do what I can with what I got , so heres the back story after loving trucks as far back as I can remember my folks thought it would be a good idea to keep me outta trouble with a pickup of my own to mess with and learn on and this truck was it, started out as a 1950 l 110 longbed half ton that had seen a lot of use on a farm its whole life not a single fender or panel that wasn't smashed in or rusted out, a broken frame that was farmer welded back together no brakes at all, the old 220 silver diamond did run if all the stars and moon aligned, all the glass was broke, mice made a nice home outta the interior had a snow plow very croodly welded to the frame nothing electrical worked except the spot light cut into the back of the cab, when it would run it only did so off a gas can sitting in the bed quite possibly the nicest looking feature of the whole truck, to say the least it was very rough over the years ive taken parts off of junkyard rigs that would have been better to start with but for as young as I was I thought it was the most amazing thing ever and I was hooked, so for the rest of my teenage years I played around with it did some very poor work and learned everything the hard way then life kicked in, joined the military, moved around a lot started having kids, went job to job to job long story short it never got done and became a garage ornament at my folks house for years, throughout that time ive gone through several different cars and trucks ive fixed up, a lot of different jeeps cj's and willys, old chevys, dodges, fords and harleys while this thing just sat there till about a year ago I decided to give the old man his shop space back and do something with it.
Now as you can imagine the work I did to as a kid was just downright shitty so I tore it completely down replaced the broken frame with a different one making it a shortbed and started to put it all back together but then got the grand idea hey why not make this thing a 4x4 searched out a set of axles from a 1965 International with the far 6 lug pattern and 4:88 gears tracked down replacement brake parts rebuilt everything and threw em in there, once again started putting everything back together fixing all my stupid mistakes I did as a kid actually welding in steel for rust instead of bondo, having to replace just about every fender and body panel I got it all real nice and straight was about to finish off the primer and paint when I got to thinking again "how much use am I going to get out of a 65 year old truck with a top speed of 50 mph and a whomping 90 horsepower" so I started changing things yet again, went with a Chevy 250 inline six for a few main reasons #1 I already had it #2 I wanted something different and lets face it everybody has a sbc and #3 in fits like a glove in there with very minimal fab work, behind the 250 I went with the very rare and hardly ever seen chysler a833 with GM bellhousing and np 208 transfer case mated to it, few reasons I went with this #1 well I already had it #2 its very compact and makes for a nice fit without having to cut the floor #3 I wanted to be able to actually drive this thing on some long trips not just putt around town so with the three speed plus overdrive im confident will help me do just that, the 65 IH axles were just not gonna cut it and will get pulled out and replaced with Dana 44s 4:10 geared from a Scout along with a Scout power steering box and brake booster modernize it alittle well acouple decades at least.
Plans for the exterior is pretty simple mostly stock nothing fancy nothing show quality again I wanna use it take it camping/ hunting, haul the dirtbikes to the mountains and not worry about scratching it, plans for the interior are about the same mostly stock with the exception of a set of hanging pedals and ill probably throw some seat beats in it and some new gauges we'll see I tend to change my mind a lot as I go, my goal is to make a truck I can take to the mountains on Friday and drive to work on Monday, and cruise the highway at 70 mph without having to stop at every gas station I see
first chance I get ill roll her outta the shop and put up some pictures so you guys can drool over this old girl
BRut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 06:24 PM   #2
BRut

Default Re: 1950 L series the truck that started my addiction

[attach][attach][attach][attach][attach]Name:  1950 rear fender.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  39.0 KB[/attach][/attach][/attach][/attach][/attach]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1950 front.jpg (43.9 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg 1950 front view.jpg (45.4 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg 1950 drivers side.jpg (38.3 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg 1950 rear drivers side.jpg (40.6 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg 1950 rear passenger side.jpg (37.3 KB, 110 views)
Old 02-21-2016, 06:27 PM   #3
BRut

[attach][attach][attach][attach]Name:  1950 motor 2.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  37.7 KB[/attach][/attach][/attach][/attach]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1950 drivers side interior.jpg (40.5 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg 1950 passenger side interior.jpg (38.6 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg 1950 motor 1.jpg (47.1 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg 1950 transmission.jpg (37.9 KB, 110 views)
Old 04-07-2016, 05:57 AM   #4
BRut

Getting a lot of little things done on this one made a new shifter for it mounted the brake booster off a Scout and fabbed up a set of hanging pedals my big excitement came from the portland swap meet last weekend where I scored a set of headers and a offenhauser triple carb intake for the Chevy six should help put a touch of hot rod in this thing, still gotta mount a hydraulic clutch setup and clearance the firewall a bit then I can move on to building the axles and steering I'm gonna use Name:  1950 front motor.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  47.3 KBName:  1950 triple carb.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  44.4 KB