IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Axle Tech Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 11-23-2008, 11:20 PM   #1
pineneedle

Member Number: 528
Default Carrier bearing pre-load

My knowledgeable friends,

I have worked my way successfully (I think) through the daunting task of setting up my front axle (Dana 44). The only thing that I can't quite get my hands on is a method for setting the pre-load on the carrier bearings. The directions in the I-h manual are unclear, to say the least, and the handy little booklet that comes with the Yukon master kit does not give you any hard idea of how to accomplish it. As it now stands, the carrier+bearings needs a couple of solid raps with a dead-blow hammer in order to seat the bearing races in their journals. But I don't know if that is sufficient pre-load. Any ideas?

Pineneedle
pineneedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 07:16 AM   #2
ihpartsjeff
Administrator & Owner

Member Number: 1
Default Re: Carrier bearing pre-load

Not sure on the size of your deadblow but I usually get 2-3 raps with one when seating the carrier and call it good. Of course I've been doing this for a long time and have a 'feel' for it. When pulling the carrier out you should have some resistance as well. If the carrier just comes right out then some more preload is needed.

Jeff Ismail
IH Parts America - Owner
IH Sierra Fall Rallye Event Coordinator
Binder Books
CPT - Crawler Proven Technology
(530)274-1795
ihpartsjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 08:46 AM   #3
Craig

Member Number: 5

Not sure if the 44 is the same as a d60, but the manual says .10 ( ten thousandths) pre load. So it would be just intil it fits and then add .010 you could make a spreader to help get that dialed in.

Edit... Looking at billa vistas write up he says .015
pirate4x4.com - the largest off roading website in the world.

Last edited by Craig; 11-24-2008 at 09:03 AM..
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 12:05 PM   #4
Greg R

Member Number: 527

According to the manual/s I have, .015" pre-load is spec'd. Basically the carrier is .015" fatter than the case. A couple of whacks on each side with say a 3 lb dead blow is sufficient to get it seated; with the bearing caps on and the bolts snug, the carrier should spin freely with little resistance. As Jeff has said, it can be a matter of feel, especially when working with an existing set-up. If it's difficult to get it in, and it takes a little effort to spin the carrier, it's too tight. Then after all that, you hope the contact pattern is close or where you want it. The carrier bearings May have to come off again to swap shims around to establish a good pattern.
Greg R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 08:09 AM   #5
Craig

Member Number: 5

If your rebuilding, and you get the old bearing off in one piece. Then you can make some setup bearings. You hone out the insides a bit so they slip on and off without to much trouble. This allows you to get all your patterns looking good. To set the preload just add the same about to each side.

$59 for a kit. ( not sure if this kit has both carrier and pinion)
Dana 44- bearing set-up kit
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote