IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Axle Tech Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 11-14-2008, 10:01 AM   #1
tee jay

Member Number: 575
Default Dana 70 closed knuckle front axle ID numbers?

Hello all.putting a detroit locker in my Dana 70 closed knuckle front axle.the supplier told me that there is numbers on the axle tube that I need to order the locker.does anyone know where on the tube these numbers are or anywhere else on the housing thay might be?
Thanks, tj
tee jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 12:22 PM   #2
Matt Main

Member Number: 446
Default Re: Dana 70 closed knuckle front axle ID numbers?

Hey man, this link might help you;

Dana axle id
Matt Main is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 01:08 PM   #3
tee jay

Thats great , thanks
Old 11-15-2008, 09:12 AM   #4
Michael Mayben
IHPA Tech Moderator - Retired & No Longer Online

Member Number: 10

The link Matt provided shows the location of the Dana/spicer "bom" number (bill of materials). That number is then used to go into a catalog of most all Dana axles and figger out how that particular axle was originally set up for it's oem vehicle application. Also includes "replacement" Dana p/n's for the assembled componentry.

In some cases, you May not be able to find that number no matter how hard ya clean and look! Some were produced with numbers actually stenciled on (ink stamp kinda deal) and those numbers May be long gone. Just three weeks ago, I saw an axle in dave's shop that had only two digits legible inna stenciled number, but using the reference we were able to figger out what the full number shoulda been! I have a pair of Scout II axles (d44, '77>'78 vintage) in my shop right now that have no bom numbers visible on either one!

And not all Dana/spicer bom are listed/shown in the Dana/spicer print references, in that case we call a contact within Dana's current tech/serv group who has to research way back in their archives.

So if you can find the number and ya need assistance decoding it, then post it here and we'll attempt a lookup. Jeff has the references in print format as do I. The knowledge base on the Dana website for doing this is very incomplete. If we can't figger out whatcha got, then I'll have dave contact his dude at Dana/spicer and verify what the oem setup was if needed.

Those numbers which are stamped into the axle tube are normally very lightly done and ya really have to work to find 'em. And look all over the tube, many times they are in different locations form the "standard" position as shown in the references.

http://vimeo.com/8149690
Michael Mayben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 09:19 AM   #5
tee jay

Finding the numbers were no problem at all, 603361-9, but finding a locker for it is!I called 3 different well know ring and pinion places and they say there is no locker available for it because its a 1/2'' off set.none of them did say that they used to make a locker for it so I dont know if they really did ever make one for it?

So I am hoping that someone here May be able to help me with my search for one? Its gonna be a real shame if I cant find one because I found this axle from an old IH dealer, nos, still on the shipping pallet. My research shows that the closed knuckle fronts are very limited to parts. I am not real familiar with them but it seems like its a very stout piece?

Any help on this would be great!!!
Old 11-16-2008, 09:43 AM   #6
Michael Mayben

Call dave the gear man (he doesn't own a computer!) at:

close personal friend of both us and ihon/Jeff! He eats dinner here at least 3 times a week including last nite! I know that just two weeks ago he delt with a very similar issue and had a rebuilt limited slip (not a locker) on the shelf.

Tell him your story, see what he can do!

Your bom 603361-9 shows as:

oem onna '73>'75 1300 pickup, witha 4.88 ratio anda "one piece" open diff case.

Old 11-16-2008, 09:50 AM   #7
Robert Kenney
IHPA Tech Moderator

Member Number: 543

Tj,
I think the closed knuckle d70 was used on mid 60's dodges like the w300. That May also be an avenue to check out.

My experience with custom rare applications is that the supplier May have the part on the shelf but not have any history with the particular use so he won't go out on a limb and suggest any solution.
If you are willing to extend your self the price of the axle, buy it take it back to your place and blow it apart and measure the parts , count splines, take bearing numbers off of it and do the research. Guarantee you will learn a bunch and you May end up with a super nice one off set up. Some times you gotta do the leg work your self. That is the fun part imo.

Robert

“Don't lift until the fear of death over comes the fear of speed.” Author Unknown
Robert Kenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 10:53 AM   #8
tee jay

Yep ,the axle is 4.88 gears in the 73-75 year range. I will be giving dave a call to see what hes got?
Old 11-16-2008, 04:47 PM   #9
Michael Mayben

Dave's here now, he sez he's can prolly come up with a couplea options for ya and has many contacts in the gear bizz that have stuff like this that do not do business except on the wholesale supply side.

He's looking through some references I have here now and I've written down what he needs to start looking tomorrow (Monday) when he gets to the shop.

Ya also need to tell him "what" ratio you wanna end up with since not "every" ratio May be available (case size).

Old 11-16-2008, 05:41 PM   #10
Matt Main

Member Number: 446

Dangit, I slipped!
I forgot to include the other link, but with guys like mayben here, help is more than plentiful!
Great info as always, and I look forward to it because I May pick up a d70 for my rig too. Anyway, sorry for the rambling... Carry on gentleman
Matt Main is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 03:42 PM   #11
tee jay

Once again you guys have lead me in the right direction! Called dave the gear man today. Now there's a man that knows his stuff and takes the time to listen to your needs and not a sales person sitting in front of a computer thats telling you that it might work or that they don't make it for my application, while your trying to order something. He explained to me all the pros and cons of a locker in a front axle which made me decide to get a power lock from him for my axle.if anyone needs good help with gears call dave.

Thanks michael for the recommendation.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:18 PM   #12
Michael Mayben

Great deal for ya tee!

Dave has been a tremendous parts resource and fountain of information for the ihon knowledge base. Just wish we'd hooked up twenty years ago instead of just one year ago! And the bonus is that his knowledge of all things IH from the 50's through the end of production is vast, in addition to his close ties with Dana/spicer and anyone who is anyone in the gear bizz!

He's one of our close friends/"endorsed" suppliers who helps keep the parts we all need in the pipeline! And on the same subject, ihon has got lots of new stuff in the works too! Jeff and Darren shore ain't no slouch in the gear bizz also, but we are all continually learning stuff from folks like dave who want to share their experiences and pass it on to another generation!

If we could just get him to start playin' with pooters again, he'd never shut up!