IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Axle Tech Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 10-30-2008, 09:22 PM   #1
pineneedle

Member Number: 528
Default Dana 44 Front Axle Questions

My friends,

I am fitting Scout II axles under my 800a. I have several questions concerning the front (Dana 44). I expect that my questions are addressed in the Scout II manual, but I don't have one, and would prefer not to buy one to have only for my axles. My Scout 800 manual takes care of most of my questions. So:

1. How do I adjust the threaded collar on the upper ball joint? I have the wrench, but I don't know the process (preload, etc.).

2. Are there supposed to be washers under the nuts that thread onto the ball-joint studs?

3. Which of the ball-joints, upper or lower, gets the snap ring?

4. Can I reuse the neoprene(?) spacers that go between the spindles and the knuckles?

5. Where can I get a warn kit to rebuild my manual hubs? The local parts stores tell me that they can't get them for me.

I apologize if these seem to be inane questions. However, I excuse myself by noting that the axle came to me in pieces, so I have nothing to
go by.

Thanks,

pineneedle
pineneedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 06:33 AM   #2
ihpartschad
IHPA General Manager

Member Number: 3
Default Re: Dana 44 Front Axle Questions

Responces in red
Quote:
Originally Posted by pineneedle View Post
my friends,

I am fitting Scout II axles under my 800a. I have several questions concerning the front (Dana 44). I expect that my questions are addressed in the Scout II manual, but I don't have one, and would prefer not to buy one to have only for my axles. My Scout 800 manual takes care of most of my questions. So:

1. How do I adjust the threaded collar on the upper ball joint? I have the wrench, but I don't know the process (preload, etc.).
tighten the bottom ball joint first, then bring the castle nut down. Jeff May know the exact flbs, I do not
2. Are there supposed to be washers under the nuts that thread onto the ball-joint studs?
yes, the bottom should have a large lock washer

3. Which of the ball-joints, upper or lower, gets the snap ring?
lower

4. Can I reuse the neoprene(?) spacers that go between the spindles and the knuckles?
Yes as long as they are not destroyed. Most of the time these are steel shim used for aligment

5. Where can I get a warn kit to rebuild my manual hubs? The local parts stores tell me that they can't get them for me.
ask Jeff, I'm sure he can help
I apologize if these seem to be inane questions. However, I excuse myself by noting that the axle came to me in pieces, so I have nothing to
go by.

Thanks,

pineneedle
ihpartschad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 06:51 AM   #3
Michael Mayben
IHPA Tech Moderator - Retired & No Longer Online

Member Number: 10

Ya got email john!

As for the hubs...ya need to identify which hubs you have, there are several possibilities. I know ya said "manual" hubs...do you mean "manual hubs" as defined in the IH service reference? I think ya gotta manual for the s800 iirc, if so, then the "hub" section is the same as for sii, or at least similar enuff for service purposes.

Could also be an aftermarket "manual hub" such as a true warn brand (not IH/warn), mile marker, etc.

The three IH oem choices would be the "automatic" hub, the IH manual hub, and the "dualmatic" hub.

If yore not certain which hub ya have, toss up a pic of the control end here and someone will make an id for ya!

http://vimeo.com/8149690
Michael Mayben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 06:54 AM   #4
ihpartsjeff
Administrator & Owner

Member Number: 1

Correction - there are no lockwashers used under the ball joint nuts. As for torque requirements of the balljoints I will have to look up(after all these years I still can't seem to remember off the top of my head).

Jeff Ismail
IH Parts America - Owner
IH Sierra Fall Rallye Event Coordinator
Binder Books
CPT - Crawler Proven Technology
(530)274-1795
ihpartsjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 07:41 AM   #5
ihpartschad
IHPA General Manager

Member Number: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihojeff View Post
correction - there are no lockwashers used under the ball joint nuts. As for torque requirements of the balljoints I will have to look up(after all these years I still can't seem to remember off the top of my head).
Really?? Where am I remembering the lock washer from????? Sorry for the mis information!! Listen to Jeff he knows best.
ihpartschad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 07:11 AM   #6
pineneedle

Michael and Jeff, here are a couple more questions. Let me begin by answering michael's question about my hubs. They are I-h warn manual hubs with the socket screws attaching the chrome bezel. If you folks can get the repair kit, let me know.

Now on to the questions. According to the info that michael kindly sent to me, there is supposed to be a pressed in seal that protects the rollers in the spindle. My axle doesn't have one, altlhough there is a machined recess in the spindles that would take a seal. All there is on my axles is a pair of rubber "seals," a small one that rides on the shaft and a large one that sits on the machined shoulder of the spindle. So, what is best? Do I just go back by replacing these rubber rings, or do I also add a pressed in seal?

Second, Jeff, what is your opinion on the matter of the seal in the end of the axle tube? The Dana engineers didn't seem to think one was necessary. Yet, as was pointed out above, an after-market seal is available. What do you think? Should I go with the seal (involving preparing a seat on my shafts or buying new shafts), or just go with the oem set-up?

Thanks,

pineneedle
Old 11-01-2008, 07:14 AM   #7
pineneedle

P.s. I probably should have stated in the previous post that I intend to use my Scout off-road a good deal, so it will get occasional immersion in creeks, etc. Is the inboard axle-tube seal enough to protect the differential gears and bearings in these water situations?

Pineneedle
Old 11-01-2008, 07:39 AM   #8
Michael Mayben
IHPA Tech Moderator - Retired & No Longer Online

Member Number: 10

I'm hardly qualified to speak to the axle devlopment point john...the info I sent ya is the standard "stuff" as found in all IH service manuals regarding the "40* steering" axle"...aka "open knuckle".

The original information which is in print was most likely introduced sometime in late 1971 for pickup/Travelall apps, and the info was simply carried forward into the Scout II literature. With the exception of the actual hub design differences, the info in the sii manuals is simply the original data which has been reprinted. That was a very common practice in the day...no reason to develop model-specific information unless absolutely necessary since production costs were associated with that concept! That is why you May see information inna Scout II manual that was originally developed and uses illustrations of a 1600 loadstar!

After the end of production of the IH stuff, these Dana spicer axles continued to evolve right up until now with continuous detail changes incorporated as the oem customer spec'd 'em, also based upon "cost". So the oem Scout II axles were not hardly the final word in the d44 steering axle development sequence.

I also had never seen the aftermarket "debris excluders" myself until dave the gear man showed me the setup onna axle he was doing for a Jeep customer a couplea months ago.

Jeff, Chad, and Darren deal with these axles everyday and understand the progressive evolution and I'd certainly go with their advice when they chime in! There are tons of "aftermarket" goodies for these and many other axles that have been developed to overcome the oem "shortcomings" which count in the oem world as pennies not spent!

http://vimeo.com/8149690
Michael Mayben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:37 PM   #9
pineneedle

So, michael, as I said in my last post, my hubs are I-h manual type, with the allen head screws holding down the chrome bezel. Can you recommend a source for me where I can get a rebuild kit? My local parts houses look at my like my hair is on fire when I have asked around locally.

John
Old 11-04-2008, 10:42 PM   #10
Eric VanBuren

Member Number: 544

The warn hub service kit # is 7300, your local parts houses should be able to find it with that number.
Eric VanBuren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:05 PM   #11
pineneedle

Thanks, eric. Unfortunately for me, I have been to three different ones and they tell the same story: their suppliers do not carry warn stuff. I shall press on.

John
Old 11-06-2008, 08:33 AM   #12
ihpartsjeff
Administrator & Owner

Member Number: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pineneedle View Post
thanks, eric. Unfortunately for me, I have been to three different ones and they tell the same story: their suppliers do not carry warn stuff. I shall press on.

John
You should call as we can get warn parts thru some of our suppliers. One of my warn suppliers shows one kit in socal. I have a phone call in to verify inventory and am waiting on an answer. Cost would be $29.95 plus shipping. Please call to order.

Jeff Ismail
IH Parts America - Owner
IH Sierra Fall Rallye Event Coordinator
Binder Books
CPT - Crawler Proven Technology
(530)274-1795
ihpartsjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 08:50 AM   #13
Old Smokey

Member Number: 657
Thumbs up Re: Dana 44 Front Axle Questions

I would sugest not using the IH factory hubs...they shatter under heavy use..rocks.. I replaced mine with warn hubs from my local little lake all pro parts house....these hubes are heavyer than there older version for IH and the ran me $120
Old Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote