IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Basic Tech Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 07-12-2012, 10:57 AM   #16
Scooter

Member Number: 917
Default Re: What is the best way to replace scout ll body bushings?

Not a stupid question at all.

I posted another photo of them installed in my build thread. Titled "73 beast" in the chit chat section. It shows the non tapered large piece sandwiched between the body lift part I made and the body. The tapered bushing half is mounted under the frame mount
74 Scout II - Barrel Rolled - Rest in peace
72 Scout II = SOLD
51 Studebaker pickup - A non running project. Slowly in the works
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:09 AM   #17
Heath M

Member Number: 201

So that others have a step-by-step....I replaced all the bushing with no problem on the bolts.
  • I loosened all bushing bolts.
  • I used two 2x4's, to distribute the weight, placed under the doors on the side I was working on. And lifted just high enough to slide out old bushings and slide in new ones (pulled bolt out first). Keep doors closed. Once lifted, the door latches seemed to be keeping the body from snapping in half.
  • I used wire cutters to snip the bottom potion of the old rubber bushings
  • I then pinched as much of the bushing edge that I could ,near the cut, with a pair of vice grips and twisted. This caused the bottom portion to tear off cleanly all the way around, up against the body mount
  • I then used the vice grip to pinch the wall of the metal tube in the bushing and wiggle it out.
  • I then slid the old bushing out and the new ones in and put the bolts through and thread on nut just enough
  • I then did other side
  • lastly, I removed jack and tightened up all nuts until they were good an tight.
  • I measured again to check hieights

The problems I did have are:
  1. Removing the the screws from the metal strips that hold down the floor vinyl at driver, pasenger sides and rear at lift gate had to have the heads grinded off to remove metal strip, to access the bushing bolt in floor pan. I also found some bad rusting spots.
  1. The fan now hits the shroud on the bottom. I have no idea what to do to fix this. Any ideas? Would using plumbers tape (the metal stuff with holes in it) work to offset the shroud down a bit
  1. The bottom plate attached to the radiator came loose on driver side. Looks like it was only tacked on. It protects the bottom of the radiator coils. Not sure what to do to reattach it.

All in all the plain, new bushings raised the body about 2". That is a plus. Some of the old bushings were smashed to about 1/4" thick or less.

Now if I can get that shroud positioned somehow, I can start the engine without a very loud bunch of noise.

1972 Scout II, 304/727 auto/2wd/
1974 Scout II 345 "Rusty", parts rig
345 for sale/trade
Heath M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:14 AM   #18
Heath M

Member Number: 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
not a stupid question at all.

I posted another photo of them installed in my build thread. Titled "73 beast" in the chit chat section. It shows the non tapered large piece sandwiched between the body lift part I made and the body. The tapered bushing half is mounted under the frame mount
Thanks. I checked it out. I put them in right.

1972 Scout II, 304/727 auto/2wd/
1974 Scout II 345 "Rusty", parts rig
345 for sale/trade
Heath M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:58 PM   #19
scoutpappa

Member Number: 2048

Just finished mine today and I have the same shroud issue. This would lead me to believe that the motor mounts are sucked down too low but the engine does not move under torque at all. I ovaled out the holes to drop the shroud but I don't have enough material to get it low enough. I have two plates riveted on the side of the shroud that shouldn't be there so I am guessing that the po "modified" it for some reason. Either going to build a bracket to accomolish the drop or grind the riveted brackets off and utilize weather stripping to seal it all back up. I don't remember, but I believe the shroud was a two piece set up so you didn't have to remove the fan to remove it. If anyone can confirm that it is in fact two piece that would be great. Fyi I installed the Energy Suspension bushings (no body lift), motor is rebuilt (per po), motor mounts look great (no tourque bend under throttle as well as visual), rpt mounts under the 727 (in the last year). This Scout is a dd (my wife's) so believe me I spend a lot of time just making sure it is running perfect.
scoutpappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:16 PM   #20
Scoutboy74

Member Number: 453

Stock fan shrouds are one piece. It would be nice if the top half could be removed separately, but no dice without making the modification yourself...carefully. Them thangs iz brittle.
Organ Donor - '72 1210 Reg Cab 2WD - seized 392/TF727/7500# GVW - "Use my body to keep you alive!"
Mongo - '71 1210 Reg Cab 2WD - 345/TF727/4.10 RA17/6100# GVW - "Mongo love candy! Duh, huh, huh!"
Scoutboy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:16 AM   #21
scoutpappa

Member Number: 2048

I looked at the store site after I posted and saw they were one piece. I guess I was thinking they were two as I had to have cut one of mine for another Scout I body lifted in high school ( I know a lot more now than I did then, and there wasn't the huge resource known as the internet back then to help me out). I'll fab up some lowering brackets and call it good. Unless anyone else has any thoughts? I could wallow out the radiator brackets a little, but it seems like quite a bit of work for little reward in this case.
scoutpappa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
body bushing, replace