IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Basic Tech Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 04-01-2012, 09:56 PM   #1
PDX-SCOUT

Member Number: 4611
Default Solo Fuel tank for Scout 800.

I'm searching for info / photos on installing a single fuel tank at the back of a Scout 800. I've searched this forum and only found one thread which had a few images.

I'd like to see more or read more about this idea.

Why I want to make the change? In oregon we are not allowed to pour our own gas. The station attendants always cram the nozzle downward. I'm affraid they'll punch through my rubber lines. I dont like the fact that I cant fill my tanks full because the caps leak all over the joint. I dont like it when the auto off nozzle switches off about 1/2 second after gas begins to cascade down my finder. I dont like needing to fire up my rig and spin it just to fill the second tank. I'm pretty sure that others have felt the same thing. And I'm pretty sure that some have installed a single tank in their Scout 80 or 800.

So if you have any info, photos, suggestions or links that will shed some light on this area of intrest I sure would be thankful.
PDX-SCOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:05 PM   #2
wbrent7766

Member Number: 585
Default Re: Solo Fuel tank for Scout 800.

I am getting ready to put a tank in the back of mine this next week if I can get the time. I plan on taking pics as I go. I'm tired of having to deal with the slow fill rate and turning the rig around to fill the other side.
wbrent7766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:11 AM   #3
Greg R

Member Number: 527

Welcome to the club.

I know what you're talking about, I've had the duals for over 10 years.

Just recently I converted my cap/filler port to the newer screw in type, the leaks are gone! I never liked the napa replacements, the rubber turns to crap in 2 years, and they look like an ash tray stuck on anyway.

I pretty much fill my own tanks. I let the attendant put the nozzle in and I take if from there, sort of a presence that sez don't screw with my classic. Bronco and Scout were notorious for a slow fill and the nozzle actually pointed away a bit from down to the tank.

Whatever tank you put in, venting is the key to not puking.

Maybe see you at the meeting!
Greg R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:11 PM   #4
PDX-SCOUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrent7766 View Post
I am getting ready to put a tank in the back of mine this next week if I can get the time. I plan on taking pics as I go. I'm tired of having to deal with the slow fill rate and turning the rig around to fill the other side.
I'm very interested in this so please add a link to my thread, so that I and others will be able to find your build thread. Thanks.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:16 PM   #5
PDX-SCOUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg r View Post
welcome to the club.

I know what you're talking about, I've had the duals for over 10 years.

Just recently I converted my cap/filler port to the newer screw in type, the leaks are gone! I never liked the napa replacements, the rubber turns to crap in 2 years, and they look like an ash tray stuck on anyway.

I pretty much fill my own tanks. I let the attendant put the nozzle in and I take if from there, sort of a presence that sez don't screw with my classic. Bronco and Scout were notorious for a slow fill and the nozzle actually pointed away a bit from down to the tank.

Whatever tank you put in, venting is the key to not puking.

Maybe see you at the meeting!
Thanks for the info. You know, I saw a great image (probably from a Scout II parts manual) which showed the venting tubes & carbon filter. But I never saved it the photo and wished I had.

I think its funny that neither of my saddle tanks have any vent what so ever. Just the poorly sealed caps.

The xtream build thread on this forum shows an 80 w/ a custom built tank. They provide a few photos and briefly talk about the vent. But there just isnt enough info to go off of.

I do plan on attending the IHSTO meeting this year. I'd like to drive my Scout to the meeting so when the rig is road wearthy you'll see there. I understand that the meeting location has moved to elmers, but IHSTO website does not actually mention when the meetings are held. I wrote Mike and have not heard back from him yet.

See ya.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:36 PM   #6
Greg R

Member Number: 527

Correct, the tanks are not vented per se, but the filler neck is.

IHSTO meetings are the 1st Thursday of each month, unless posted otherwise like for an event or Christmas deal.

I May be bringing the 800 the day after tomorrow.
Greg R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:17 PM   #7
PDX-SCOUT

Rats. I just read your reply on Sunday! Looks like I missed aprils meeting.

I'll Mark it down for May.

Tags
800, fuel tank