IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Gas Engine Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 07-29-2014, 04:41 PM   #1
Girls_scout

Member Number: 7156
Lightbulb Engine help.

Hey everyone, I'm really new to forums but I have a few questions I think your knowledge can answer. I recently bought a 1964 Scout 80 with a 152 in it. The engine is seized so I am thinking about shipping it to washington to have IH parts remanufacture it for me. My question is can I get the 152 bored to a 196? If so what modification to my Scout would I have to make? If I can't change the 152, then can I turbo it? And if I can turbo the 152 then what modifications would I need to make for that to work? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Girls_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 05:52 PM   #2
Robert Kenney
Super Moderator

Member Number: 543
Default Re: Engine help.

I have no idea who IH parts in washington is.

The differences between the 152 and the 196 are bore and stroke..
152 =
3.875 bore
3.216 stroke

196=
4.125 bore
3.656 stroke

the bore and stroke can be increased but with a bunch of time and money being spent by a qualified shop. It seems like you have not done anything like this before. This is not the type of build I would recommend for some one new to the engine modification hobby. If you would like more power for your Scout, simply finding a 196 would be the way to go. Very few if any changes are required to accomplish that.

Anything can be turbocharged even the 152. It actually lends itself very well to mild to moderate forced induction. But again this is not a good first project or even a second one. Lots of things can go right but more can go wrong.

So unless you have a lot of money to through at your Scout leave the hot rod Scout off of the table. Stick with either a simple rebuild or engine swap. I think in the end you'll be happier.

“Don't lift until the fear of death over comes the fear of speed.” Author Unknown
Robert Kenney is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
152, 196, engine