IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Gas Engine Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 09-08-2015, 05:36 AM   #16
jaskispyder

Member Number: 5162
Default Re: Bad headgasket or intake, 345

Drove 3.75 hours (one way) to have a shop magnaflux and mill the heads (.008). I installed them this weekend and am working through the rest of pieces to get the engine back together. Engine/timing was rotated as stated in manual and not touched for dis-assembly and installation.

Anyone have a clue why the oil passage to the rocker is not direct, but is off-set and uses the head-gasket gap? I thought it was odd, but seems to be the setup.
jaskispyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 10:51 AM   #17
Robert Kenney
Super Moderator

Member Number: 543

That is common practice, used to resolve where the gallery can be machined. Many times the design and construction of the engine performance optimization comes first and where the oil passes from point a to point b comes second. In some cases it is not practical to exactly line the passages up without compromising mechanical design.

“Don't lift until the fear of death over comes the fear of speed.” Author Unknown
Robert Kenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 12:08 PM   #18
jaskispyder

Thanks, that makes sense.

Looking at cranking over the engine (no plugs or accessories hooked up) to check for oil flow out the rockers, just as a double check before putting on valve covers. I will squirt some oil in the cylinders before hand. I didn't pull the distributor and would rather not go through that and make a tool to prime the system.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:26 AM   #19
jaskispyder

Just a followup. I cleaned everything up and painted what I could. Heads were milled .008", no cracks. I have put about 50 miles on it and all seems well. I had to order a new thermostat, which came in today, as I am running one without the blockoff on the bottom as that is all I could get quickly (locally).

Coolant temp is running spot on and oddly, coolant gauge is now higher than it has run in the past. I am guessing an oddity in the gauge and I checked the ohm reading on the sensor and it is spot on with what others have seen.

One thing learned... Cork gaskets don't last 45 years... Mine were hard and crumbled when removed.

I had no buildup in either the oil or cooling system. The combustion exhaust gas test for detecting bad head gaskets did not work in my case, but a coolant pressure test did.

Tags
345, coolant, headgasket, intake gasket, leak