IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Brake Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 04-26-2018, 04:31 PM   #1
earlswrench

Member Number: 9232
Default Interchangeable drum brake parts?

I broke down and rebuilt a rear Dana 44 from a 1978 Scout II. Now that I've got it re-geared, I'm putting it back together. Unfortunately, this took a while.

In the mean time, for some reason, I'm missing the emergency brake lever on the passenger side. I have the horizontal lever. I need the one that connects the shoe to the emergency brake cable. My guess is that I cleaned out the garage and it was thrown out with the old shoes. (My bad)

I can't seem to find a replacement part anywhere. Does anyone know if there are any cross reference parts for these brakes?

The spring kits cross reference with Broncos of the same era, but the drums and shoes do not.

The shoes cross reference with some GMs, but nothing else seems to match.

The Jeep CJ5/7 emergency brake lever looks exactly the same but all the parts stores say it won't match the Scout (although I don't necessarily believe this because many Scout parts don't show up under the usual data references).

The Jeeps, like the Scouts, are 11-inch brakes but they are 2-inches wide instead of 2.25. This makes me think it would fit. Seems like the diameter is the geometry that matters here.

Anyone try Jeep 11-inch parts on Scout 11-inch brakes?
earlswrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 10:13 AM   #2
earlswrench

Default Re: Interchangeable drum brake parts?

Well I went ahead and bought the Jeep lever. Comparing the two, the dimensions are exactly the same. The only difference seems to be the slot where the horizontal parking break strut fits. On the Scout, the slot is flat. On the Jeep, the ends of the slot are bent. This shouldn't matter at all. I'll try to add pics later today.

In any case, if anyone else wonders if they can use a parking brake lever from 1972-1978 Jeeps in a 1978 Scout II, the answer is "yes."

I'm guessing this is not a common problem, but for the one or two other folks in this situation .... there you go...
Old 04-28-2018, 10:29 AM   #3
earlswrench

Apparently, I have to have posted three times before I can add pictures. This is my third post.
Old 04-28-2018, 10:30 AM   #4
earlswrench

Here are the pics
https://imgur.com/n8DV1SC
https://imgur.com/aeP4oDI

Last edited by earlswrench; 04-28-2018 at 10:41 AM..