IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Transmission Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 09-06-2018, 04:36 PM   #1
pplaut

Member Number: 9180
Default 4th Gear 45mph Max Speed

I have a 67 1100a Travelall with the 304 engine.
I just received the rig this week and have been slowly getting it road worthy, today being the first day I took it on the pavement.

I work through the gears, and it seems like 4th gear should have a higher top end than 45mph. As I teenager I drove a 3 on the tree and remember being able to go highway speeds no problem.

Could this be a broken five speed tranny or my axle ration to low?
As a side note, and it may not be related, the transfer case is frozen in 2WD mode. There is absolutely no play in the thing. I'm going to post this in the transfer case section, but just thought I would provide as much information as possible.

I have not crawled under the thing to take a look yet.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I can get numbers tomorrow if I know where to look.

Thanks!
P.
pplaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 08:14 AM   #2
Gunfighter97

Member Number: 9260
Default Re: 4th Gear 45mph Max Speed

Im not an expert by any means, but I get 65-70 out of my 1965 1100 4x4 no problem with the t-16 tranny (borg warner T-98a 4 speed). You might play with the shift pattern a little. If its not a properly aligned H then that may (MAY) be your answer with 5th gear "stuck" for whatever reason. On my tranny however the in gear positioning is in a H pattern, however its not really an H in between gears, assuming reading gears top to bottom 1 and 3 top 2 and 4 bottom, between 2 and 3 you go up at an angle into third, and if you arent careful its easy to hit reverse, wich btw is all the way right and up. If yours is down into reverse that also could be an indicaror that at least its not the T-16 4 speed. Have a look underneith and find some pics of the more common 4/5speed units and try and find a match. Sorry if this isnt much help but it might atleast give you something to entertain yourself with untill actual help arrives lol. I think I also replied on your thread about your T-case, any luck on an LST? That can help you out alot. If missing they can be recovered through IHPA for about $20. Worth it.
*edit any pics?

1965 IH D11004x4 "Sherman"
1946 Dodge Job Rated half ton "Rusty"
1973 Fiat 850 Spider "il Cannoli"
Half of a dead 1958 Apache "Mad Dura-Max(to be)"

MEEEEEEEEEEERRY CHRISTMAAAS!!!!
RIP wallets everywhere.

Luke 2:11

Last edited by Gunfighter97; 09-08-2018 at 08:20 AM..
Gunfighter97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 10:04 AM   #3
FDChappie

Member Number: 3742

The xfer case maybe stuck in 2 low. Check the ratio between the in and output shafts.
FDChappie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 10:13 AM   #4
Gunfighter97

Another good point. I believe it would depend on what unit you have, weather it was capable of 2wd low. I have a NP202 in mine, the shifter atleast can only select 2/4 high neutral and 4 low. No idea if the t-case itself would be capable of 2wd low, but there are 2 seperate shift links on the 202. Again pics would help ID both units in your setup.

RIP wallets everywhere.

Old 09-08-2018, 11:38 AM   #5
Robert Kenney
IHPA Tech Moderator

Member Number: 543

So 4th being 1-1, My 68 in low range 4x4, 45 is top mph in 4th gear. Seems the most logical diagnosis that you are in low range. Already mentioned by other members.

If you have the single lever transfer case shifter, crawl under and have a look at the linkage and the two sliding shafts that go into the gear box. If they are corroded or mucked up, they can jam up. Shoot some penetrating oil on the sliding shafts and have someone work the lever while looking at the movement.
Attached a photo of the transfer case linkage. The long bar is connected to the lever out of view, and the other end that you can see, connects to the sliding shafts that enter the transfer case I referenced earlier in this post.
Attached Images

“Don't lift until the fear of death over comes the fear of speed.” Author Unknown
Robert Kenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 11:41 AM   #6
Gunfighter97

OP you did mention in your other thread that your stick was locked up, thats got to be it then.

RIP wallets everywhere.

Old 09-18-2018, 04:18 PM   #7
pplaut

I freed up the stick by disconnecting it spraying some penetrating oil on the thing and now it is as loose as a goose.

I will crawl under tomorrow to see if she is stuck in low range. I found a sticker for the shifter in the back of the truck, shows a 4 speed, which of course means nothing.

Thanks for the pics. I will be taking a look tomorrow for sure! I like the idea of the transfer case stuck in low range. Could be an easy fix. Unless it's not. In my case, scratching the surface invariably leads down a rabbit hole of millions of little things.Good news, is I think the brakes will be sorted out tomorrow, and therefore when I get above 35-40mph I will be able to stop.
~P.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:12 PM   #8
pplaut

I think I figured it out. I installed a tach tonight just to see what she was actually turning. I was not able to do a test drive. In the shop, I spooled up 2k and then 3k. I think with no insulation in the car and the bad exhaust, she just sounded like she was gonna blow. Or, as I told my dad, sounds like I am inside a tin drum. That is a relief. New exhaust going on next week that will keep it down to a dull roar. Next year or so, I will probably start on the bodywork and then put some insulation inside the beast.