IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > IH Parts America Area > IH Parts America Product Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 06-26-2019, 02:51 PM   #1
evanmc

Member Number: 9715
Default Clearance for tie rod?

1971 Scout 800B

I need to replace my tie rod and was wondering about clearance requirements for this rod:

https://www.ihpartsamerica.com/store...iABEgJfmPD_BwE

I have attached a picture showing the current clearance. Do I need the shims mentioned in the description? Dumb question, perhaps, but I have installed only tie rods before, never with a shim, so I have no experience with those.

Thanks,
-Evan-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0085.jpg (56.8 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0089.jpg (36.2 KB, 31 views)
evanmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 05:23 AM   #2
ihpartsjeff
Administrator & Owner

Member Number: 1
Default Re: Clearance for tie rod?

Due to the thicker tubes in our CPT tierod kit we do recommend that caster shims be installed to bring the tierod up away from the springs. At a relaxed state there appears to be enough room, but when the suspension is at full droop that space narrows. The shims will also help the Scout drive/track better.

Jeff Ismail
IH Parts America - Owner
IH Sierra Fall Rallye Event Coordinator
Binder Books
CPT - Crawler Proven Technology
(530)274-1795
ihpartsjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 01:15 PM   #3
evanmc

Thanks, I will get the shims, then.

There appears to be a problem with your item descriptions in ordering. I selected the part for a 6 Cylinder engine, but the invoice indicates that it is for V8 or 4.

This is for a 1971 Scout 800 with an AMC 232 6 cylinder engine.

-Evan-
Old 06-28-2019, 06:50 AM   #4
Michael Dimock
IH Parts America Sales Assoc.

Member Number: 581

Evan,

The V8 and 6cyl used the same tie rod assembly, so that is the one you would need to choose. Thanks.

62 Scout 80, SOA, RS, 54's/63's, 196, T-18, D-18, Waggy 44's, 5.38's, and Zip/Spool.
Michael Dimock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 08:59 AM   #5
evanmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dimock View Post
Evan,

The V8 and 6cyl used the same tie rod assembly, so that is the one you would need to choose. Thanks.
Thanks. Unfortunately the invoice indicates V8 or 4 engine. I've copied it from the invoice here. It is not clear from this that I will get the correct part.

CPT-S80-800-TRDL CPT Gold Series Tierod and Draglink Assembly for 1961-71 Scout 80, 800 with V8 or 4cyl Engine
Old 06-28-2019, 09:12 AM   #6
Michael Dimock

Evan,

Underneath the item description on the invoice is the chosen V8 (/6cyl) or 4cyl option. That is either the -8 or a -4. From what I can see, you have chosen the correct -8 one and it is packed up and will be shipping out today. Thanks and have a good weekend!
Attached Images

62 Scout 80, SOA, RS, 54's/63's, 196, T-18, D-18, Waggy 44's, 5.38's, and Zip/Spool.
Old 07-03-2019, 03:41 PM   #7
evanmc

Great -- got the parts, and I will install over the weekend.

But now I have two new problems.

I have not installed shims before and have absolutely no clue as to how to go about properly installing them. Do you have any pictures I can go off of?

Secondly, the rod is too large for my stock steering damper mount. So I will need to get a new damper and mount? Do you have any recommendations on ones that will fit?

Thanks,
-Evan-
Old 07-04-2019, 02:03 PM   #8
evanmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihpartsjeff View Post
Due to the thicker tubes in our CPT tierod kit we do recommend that caster shims be installed to bring the tierod up away from the springs. At a relaxed state there appears to be enough room, but when the suspension is at full droop that space narrows. The shims will also help the Scout drive/track better.
I need some assistance installing the shims correctly. I have attached a picture of my leaf springs. Probably a dumb question, but where to the shims go, and what orientation? Wide end close to the front or wide end closer to the rear? On top of the leaf or below?
Attached Images

Old 07-07-2019, 09:12 AM   #9
evanmc

Either I have done something terribly wrong in installation or you have supplied me with the wrong part. The drag link seems too short to reach the hole in the tie rod. I have attached pictures to illustrate this.

Thanks,
-Evan-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0139.jpg (61.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0137.jpg (59.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0135.jpg (43.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0134.jpg (38.4 KB, 13 views)
Old 07-08-2019, 05:41 AM   #10
ihpartsjeff
Administrator & Owner

Member Number: 1

Looks like your order was packaged incorrectly. Our apologies. Please contact our parts department either via phone or email so we can get the correct part sent out to you with a return tag for the incorrect part.

Did you get your other questions figured out? With the long holiday we were not checking this part of the forums while out for the four day weekend.

Jeff Ismail
IH Parts America - Owner
IH Sierra Fall Rallye Event Coordinator
Binder Books
CPT - Crawler Proven Technology
(530)274-1795
ihpartsjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 07:08 AM   #11
Michael Dimock

Evan,

The shims go on top of the leaf spring with the thicker side towards the front of the vehicle. If you clamp the leaf spring on both sides of the center pin with two C clamps or large vise grips you can remove the old centerpin. Place the new shim on top, tighten the new center pin, and cut off the extra center pin threads.

I do see something welded to the leaf spring perch on the axle. If it is essentially a spacer then it can be left alone. If it is a shim, then you will need to cut it off when you have the leaf springs out.

We will get the correct length tube sent out today for you. Sorry about that!

Old 07-08-2019, 07:09 AM   #12
Michael Dimock

This steering stabilizer kit will fit the larger tube diameter of the new tie rod kit: https://www.ihpartsamerica.com/store/RC-87355-20.html

Old 07-08-2019, 07:47 AM   #13
evanmc

Quote:
Looks like your order was packaged incorrectly. Our apologies. Please contact our parts department either via phone or email so we can get the correct part sent out to you with a return tag for the incorrect part.

Did you get your other questions figured out? With the long holiday we were not checking this part of the forums while out for the four day weekend.
Yes, I took things apart and figured out the shims over the weekend.

-Evan-
Old 07-14-2019, 03:13 PM   #14
evanmc

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dimock View Post
Evan,

The shims go on top of the leaf spring with the thicker side towards the front of the vehicle. If you clamp the leaf spring on both sides of the center pin with two C clamps or large vise grips you can remove the old centerpin. Place the new shim on top, tighten the new center pin, and cut off the extra center pin threads.

I do see something welded to the leaf spring perch on the axle. If it is essentially a spacer then it can be left alone. If it is a shim, then you will need to cut it off when you have the leaf springs out.

We will get the correct length tube sent out today for you. Sorry about that!
Thanks for the pointers. As for the spacer welded to the perch...

There is a difference between the driver and passenger side in the measurement from the bottom of the shock mount plate to the axle. Driver's side 3 3/8" -- Passenger 3 1/8" -- and the plate welded to the driver's side perch is 1/4".

Does this need to be removed?

Thanks
-Evan-