IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Carb Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 02-09-2010, 02:20 PM   #46
1975IH200

Member Number: 731
Default Re: Carter Thermoquad "Spreadbore" Stuff

My .02. And I do not claim to be the "old pro" that mm surely is.

Pic #1: the secondary choke pull-off is missing the linkage. I know this really has little or no major effect on the normal operation of the carb.

Pic #2: looks ok.

Pic #3: a. The primary choke pull-off link is not connected to the choke pull-off.
B. The divorced choke assy. Appears to be missing, or partially missing and not connected.
C. Is that a manual choke cable? It appears to not have a mount so that the inner cable has nothing to pull against, rendering it useless. I would delete that and get the likage connected properly and re-install the divorced choke stove assy. That what I did on my tq to alleviate the po manual choke that didn't work properly anyway.

Pic #4: no comment as my truck is a manual trans.

My Junk --> 1975 "200HD" AWD Truck
My Cave location --> Western North Carolina

Last edited by 1975IH200; 02-09-2010 at 02:26 PM.. Reason: More opinions.
1975IH200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 04:36 PM   #47
Duly

Member Number: 796

All the choke things you mentioned are that way because I want to eliminate the chokes being the problem. The manual choke works as it should, believe me I have checked, it completely opens and closes.

Duly
Old 02-19-2010, 02:00 PM   #48
Duly

Mr. Mayben,
I see in the pic in post #19 you have the "s" link on the accelerator pump the opposite direction as mine and it looks like you have adjusted your "s" link for more of a shot. I thought I remember you posting somewhere you adjusted your "s" link, but I can't find the post. What are your reasons for this? And yes I am still chasing my bog.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:28 PM   #49
johned

Member Number: 1687
Unhappy Re: Carter Thermoquad "Spreadbore" Stuff

I have had my tq rebuilt by a professional. I asked that the stock needles #1966 and the stock jets #.098" be reinstalled. They weren't. What I got was needles #2005 with the .098 jets and those needles appear to be 2 step items and "da book" says a 2005 is a three step. This is a build to for the 73 tq with a 440ci dodge.

I understand the basics of the tq and I have numerous references on proper tuning. I had a pro do it because he cold "boil" the thing with chems I can't purchase and do a much more thorough job of cleaning but mainly because he said he was a source of jets and needles and he confirmed that I needed the 1966 needles.

I have a "wide band" mix meter installed and I can tell if all is well and tune accordingly. How bad will the 2005 needles upset my tune. Where can I purchase needles and jets?

Please help.....bummed and desperate in eugene, orygun. Down the road a piece from leaburg and across the crick.

John

Last edited by johned; 02-28-2010 at 11:10 AM..
johned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 03:52 PM   #50
Duly

Mr. Mayben,
wanted to know the status of my tq, and see if you could point me in the direction of a tq air cleaner?

Thanks,
duly
Old 09-13-2010, 10:05 AM   #51
Kurt Kiefer

Member Number: 721
Default Rebuilt TQ Bowl repair follow up

Mm,

after a severe project slow down due to the "when he has the time painter" I am ready to put on the rebuilt tq. Thought I would ask how the bowl repair has held up with all the folks that have been running the rebuilt carbs.
Kurt Kiefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:31 PM   #52
Puddle Jumper

Member Number: 2216

Mr. Maben. A quick question. I have developed an issue where the secondary throttle plates don't close all the way. It seems to only be an intermitent issue. Any advice?
79 scoutii 345, 727 auto, thermoquad.
Thanks,
john
Puddle Jumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:51 PM   #53
Michael Mayben
IHPA Tech Moderator - Retired & No Longer Online

Member Number: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddle jumper View Post
mr. Maben. A quick question. I have developed an issue where the secondary throttle plates don't close all the way. It seems to only be an intermitent issue. Any advice?
79 scoutii 345, 727 auto, thermoquad.
Thanks,
john
Has the secondary throttle "hangup" issue just started? Do the secondaries open as they should but just won't completely close when ya take your foot out of the throttle? Have you had the carb removed and replaced the base gasket or done any other work?

Gimme the short answers and we'll go from there! I'm doing a tq build right now!

http://vimeo.com/8149690
Michael Mayben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 04:05 PM   #54
Puddle Jumper

Hey Mike, thanks for the quick reply. My carb is a el' crapo reman unit. But, all I have to work with. Actually, second one. The secondaries where stuck slightly open when I got it. Chocked it up to the rebuilders lack of cleaning the gunk from the lingage. At that time I used a little b12 and it freed up. But, once in. Awhile it still hangs, just enough to run a little fat at idle, and give a slight bog. Gas mileage goes in the toilet. When it happens I gotta get out and give it a little massage and go somemore. Happens about once a month. Any ideas? I noticed there is a very small return spring on the secondary shaft, left side(drivers). It ain't much. Which I understand due to the carb. Being vac. Secondaries.
Thanks,
john.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:28 PM   #55
Puddle Jumper

Oh sorry. I failed to answer your questions.
1. Yes, they open as they should, simply fail to close properly sometimes.
2. Happens periodicly. No rymn or reason. Kinda like a sticking egr valve on a late model FI veh. Hard to start. Stinks. Lower than normal idle.
3. No new work. Other than bigger tires. 33/12.50/15 BFG. A/t k/o.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:35 AM   #56
WilliamEHardy

Member Number: 2540

Been following intently the tq discussion - have one on my '74 p/u - new engine (not yet fired - am trying to work out all the finer points beforehand & now am moving cross-country!!)
I cannot seem to find a choke stove anywhere, however - mine was destroyed by po in converting to manual choke & searches have failed me - any suggestions???
I May have the only IH p/u in western ny - doesn't seem as though they were too popular there - I'll probably get a lot of strange looks onse it's up & running again!!!
WilliamEHardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:20 AM   #57
Puddle Jumper

You should give Jeff at IHOnly a call. I bet he can fix you up. Maybe a nos part.
If ya trash the tq send it to me. Lol! Don't ask why but I like the cantankerous things.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:56 PM   #58
Michael Mayben

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamehardy View Post
been following intently the tq discussion - have one on my '74 p/u - new engine (not yet fired - am trying to work out all the finer points beforehand & now am moving cross-country!!)
I cannot seem to find a choke stove anywhere, however - mine was destroyed by po in converting to manual choke & searches have failed me - any suggestions???
I May have the only IH p/u in western ny - doesn't seem as though they were too popular there - I'll probably get a lot of strange looks onse it's up & running again!!!
Welcome to ihon william! We do have other customer/members in your area by the way, but I believe all are Scout and Scout II enthusiasts!

Yes, the manual choke workaround is all too common on any of these old rigs. Why the hell folks don't fix stuff right is beyond me.

I don't think Jeff has any thing like you need at the hq location. Reason is...I rob everything like that when I'm in residence and bring it home for refurbishing, etc.

What I need to know is...do you have anything left on the exhaust crossover of your intake manifold that was used for the divorced choke? Is the basic heatsink still mounted with the two flathead screws?

Does it appear that based upon the wiring harness on the passenger side of the engine that runs down the top of the intake manifold, did this truck have an "auxiliary-heated" choke stove?

Do you have the bi-metal choke stove thermostat and are just missing the link rod? Is the link rod actuator that is mounted on the carb still there and functional or was it butchered?

Even better, can you give me a nice medium-long pic of the area in question??

I most likely can fix ya up with what you need, but I'm gonna have to dig deep in the debris. So I need to know the big picture to make sure we get everything to make this choke functional.

Old 11-21-2010, 07:01 PM   #59
ihwild

Member Number: 261

Michael,

I have a few questions for you. One is where do you get the proper gasket for the mounting area. I mistakenly used a wrong gasket and boy did it leak and cause some interesting issues. I'm reusing an old thin one and I was wondering what the proper one was. I had used one of them spacers before but I removed it this time around when I replaced the manifold.

Also any idea what the length of the choke rod from the bi metal to the actuator on the carb is and where to get that little clip at rod attachment on the carb. Also what is the fee to rebuild an tq from a Scout II?

Rich
ihwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 09:29 AM   #60
Michael Mayben

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihwild View Post
michael,

I have a few questions for you. One is where do you get the proper gasket for the mounting area. I mistakenly used a wrong gasket and boy did it leak and cause some interesting issues. I'm reusing an old thin one and I was wondering what the proper one was. I had used one of them spacers before but I removed it this time around when I replaced the manifold.

Also any idea what the length of the choke rod from the bi metal to the actuator on the carb is and where to get that little clip at rod attachment on the carb. Also what is the fee to rebuild an tq from a Scout II?

Rich
Gotta go! I'll be out of pocket all day but I will get back to ya tonite about the tq questions!