IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Engine Cooling & Mobile HVAC Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 04-07-2010, 05:39 PM   #1
timtrouille

Member Number: 1733
Default water pump question

Can anyone tell me which water pump I need. I have a75 Scout 2, but the engine is not the same year. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Its leaking like crazy, so I assume I should just replace the whole thing.
Attached Images

timtrouille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:14 PM   #2
Robert Kenney
IHPA Tech Moderator

Member Number: 543
Default Re: water pump question

Here you go!

new waterpump for 152/196/266/304/345/392 v8 & 4cyl - International Scout parts

“Don't lift until the fear of death over comes the fear of speed.” Author Unknown
Robert Kenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:57 PM   #3
Scoutboy74

Member Number: 453

Looks like you've got the big nut magnetic version. That large nut has left-handed threads. That is the less common variation, but still available. Just be sure the leak isn't coming from either of the metal water tubes on either side of the pump before you go to the trouble of removing it.

Coal Trickle - '99 Dodge Ram SLT 2500 Q-Cab SWB 4x4 - 5.9L 24V CTD/NV4500/8800# GVWR/12K# winch
Hooty - '74 SII 4x4 - 392/TF727/D20/3.73 D44's/Spartan FA/Krac-lok RA/RC 4" SUA/34x11.5 TSLs/33g Fuel/8K# winch
Lemuel - '72 1210 LWB 4x4 CS - 304/TF727/NP205/RA D60 4.10 - "Pull Lemuel, pull!"
Mongo - '71 1210 LWB 2WD - 345/TF727/RA17 D60 4.10 Krac-lok - "Mongo love candy! Duh, huh, huh!"
Scoutboy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:02 AM   #4
ihpartsjeff
Administrator & Owner

Member Number: 1

The one we sell on the online store is different than what you posted. We do carry the "thread on style" water pumps however they are not listed online so you will need to call to order. Unfortunately this water pump currently costs $97.85 which is more expensive than what we have listed online.

Jeff Ismail
IH Parts America - Owner
IH Sierra Fall Rallye Event Coordinator
Binder Books
CPT - Crawler Proven Technology
(530)274-1795
ihpartsjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:12 AM   #5
Michael Mayben
IHPA Tech Moderator - Retired & No Longer Online

Member Number: 10

I've moved this thread to a more appropriate sub-forum.

The replacement water pump shown in the online store link Robert provided is not the correct application for the engine posted in your pic. That pump has the eight hole hub used with the "bolt-on" style thermo-fan clutch used oem on some Scout II applications.

As trever posted, the fan clutch in your pic is the "increased cooling" fan clutch (as described by ihc), we commonly refer to those as the "big nut" clutch.

Somehow, the aftermarket parts suppliers started using the term "magnetic" in their lookups 30+ years ago and it's been a wrong description used in catalogs and lookups ever since. It's a simply thermostatic-control, viscous fan clutch that was supplied by eaton.

The only difference in all the currently available water pumps for the sv application is the hub. If you are going to retain the big nut clutch, then you need a water pump with the "big nut" (thread-on) hub.

In some cases where availability of the replacement big nut pump is a problem (they are commonly available through both ihon and the aftermarket), the hubs can be removed and then changed onto a replacement "bolt-on" water pump. But that must be done by a competent mechanic using dedicated tooling and a press with press fixtures that can provide 10>12 tons of force. Otherwise both pumps will be destroyed in changing hubs...this is not something the diy'r can do in their home workshop or on the kitchen counter.

Currently we don't show the big nut water pump in the online store, but we do have 'em in stock, call the store to order if needed.

http://vimeo.com/8149690
Michael Mayben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:44 PM   #6
Robert Kenney
IHPA Tech Moderator

Member Number: 543

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael mayben View Post
the replacement water pump shown in the online store link Robert provided is not the correct application for the engine posted in your pic. That pump has the eight hole hub used with the "bolt-on" style thermo-fan clutch used oem on some Scout II applications.
Didn't see the bfn on the fan clutch.

“Don't lift until the fear of death over comes the fear of speed.” Author Unknown
Robert Kenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 02:46 PM   #7
timtrouille

Member Number: 1733

Thanks for all of the info. This is my first Scout and the first problem ive had since I brought it home a year ago.
timtrouille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 03:24 PM   #8
Michael Mayben

Water pumps,...like spark plugs, spark plug cables, hoses, belts, brake shoes/pads, shock absorbers, tires, wheel hub and axle bearings, etc. Are all periodic maintenance/replacement items!

The fact that most of the rigs folks dig out of the woods like the stuff we play with has lasted all these years with no maintenance to speak of is always amazing to me. Water pumps can go 30 years or more with no issues, or they can fail (begin to leak and result in a cooling system pressure loss) in 6 months!

We want to make sure you have the right information at hand for making repairs and pulling maintenance. As you can see just from this sub-forum, there is a lot of "urban myth" out there regarding ihc vehicle cooling systems.

This confusion over the aftermarket parts supply terminology regarding water pumps, replacement fans, fan clutches, fan clutch conversions, etc. Is something we deal with very often (much more so than just what is posted in these forums).

For instance, we cannot source a new eaton fan clutch to replace the one you have. And in order to make a conversion to a "bolt-on" fan clutch, the water pump must be swapped out also, along with the fan blade assembly as your existing fan blade will not mount to the bolt-on fan clutch hub. Confused?? That is the reality of working with 30+ year old iron, some of the stuff is a simple git...some of it is impossible to find. But we're very successful in coming up with proper workarounds regarding unobtanium parts issues.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:40 PM   #9
herculz

Member Number: 313

Is there a way to determine if a water pump needs replacement without firing up the engine.

Have a traveller that was running well 3 years ago but now that its been pulled out of pandoras box I am deciding to replace items little at a time. Thanks
"Under Construction"
herculz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 06:51 AM   #10
Lou

Member Number: 28

I would say that if the pump bearing is quiet and doesn't wobble when you grab the fan, and it isn't leaking water from the seal, it should be fine. I do however carry a new pump in my parts box. I'd rather have it when I don't need it than not have it when I do. Like Mike said above, my original pump lasted about 25 years and I've replaced three since then, one under a shade tree in death valley. If you're going to replace the pump I'd recommend you do some homework on the pump impeller to housing issue, there is plenty of information on that here, the search function will get you there.

Proud Member of the New York City Central Park Grey Wolf Recovery Program
Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:21 AM   #11
firefighter1970

Member Number: 3959

If I purchased the same pump from you guys, am I going to have problems with the impeller like you mentioned?
firefighter1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:32 PM   #12
Michael Mayben

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter1970 View Post
if I purchased the same pump from you guys, am I going to have problems with the impeller like you mentioned?
I've never encountered a water pump vane tip clearance issue dealing with any IH stuff in all these years. But I'm not saying that mis-constructed pumps have never been manufactured.

There is only one way to determining any vane tip clearance issue, that involves making a test installation and actually making measurements.

I personally have no problems with installing any water pump available from the very few suppliers of these units today, I simply make the install and drive on. And that includes using the pumps for any IH engine app, all of which I've delt with on a regular basis.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:33 PM   #13
Erik VanRenselaar

Member Number: 602

My $.03 worth...

Many years ago, I removed the original "big nut" fan clutch and thread-on style water pump from my 304, and replaced it with a new fan, bolt-on fan clutch, and 8-hole style water pump. The oem pump had the cast metal impeller, and the new water pump has the stainless steel stamped metal impeller. I have actually seen a bit better cooling with the new setup. I also use a 195 deg. Robertshaw thermostat, which is the best design to use in the IH sv engine.