IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Gas Engine Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 10-19-2018, 06:38 AM   #1
mbiver

Member Number: 9359
Default Dropping oil pan-dipstick came off

Iím dropping the oil pan to change the leaking gasket and was wondering about the dipstick. Is it supposed to come out of the side? When I was putting the pan back on it came out of the hole on the side of the pan. It looks like it just sticks into the side...or did I break it off? Thanks.
Prestolite distributor with petronix.
Fuel System: New 19Gal. Poly tank/Sending unit from IHPartsAmerica, Nylon fuel line, relined original fuel neck filler tube, rebuilt Holley 2245 Carb.
Unknown non-oem modifications
mbiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 07:08 AM   #2
Scoutboy74

Member Number: 453
Default Re: Dropping oil pan-dipstick came off

Yeah, its an interference fit.

Coal Trickle - '99 Dodge Ram SLT 2500 Q-Cab SWB 4x4 - 5.9L 24V CTD/NV4500/8800# GVWR/12K# winch
Hooty - '74 SII 4x4 - 392/TF727/D20/3.73 D44's/Spartan FA/Krac-lok RA/RC 4" SUA/34x11.5 TSLs/33g Fuel/8K# winch
Lemuel - '72 1210 LWB 4x4 CS - 304/TF727/NP205/RA D60 4.10 - "Pull Lemuel, pull!"
Mongo - '71 1210 LWB 2WD - 345/TF727/RA17 D60 4.10 Krac-lok - "Mongo love candy! Duh, huh, huh!"
Scoutboy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 07:12 AM   #3
mbiver

Scoutboy74...you made my day! I thought I busted it off. Thanks.
Fuel System: New 19Gal. Poly tank/Sending unit from IHPartsAmerica, Nylon fuel line, relined original fuel neck filler tube, rebuilt Holley 2245 Carb.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:43 AM   #4
mbiver

I raised the Sxout by the frame so the front axle would lower, but putting the oil pan back on is a pretty tight fit. Any tips for keeping bits of dust and dirt out of the pan when getting it back on? Thanks.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:49 AM   #5
Scoutboy74

Member Number: 453

Aside from a through scrubbing of the under carriage beforehand, you might use saran wrap until you've gotten the pan directly under the engine block again. I've never tried it, but that's an idea that comes to mind.

Coal Trickle - '99 Dodge Ram SLT 2500 Q-Cab SWB 4x4 - 5.9L 24V CTD/NV4500/8800# GVWR/12K# winch
Hooty - '74 SII 4x4 - 392/TF727/D20/3.73 D44's/Spartan FA/Krac-lok RA/RC 4" SUA/34x11.5 TSLs/33g Fuel/8K# winch
Lemuel - '72 1210 LWB 4x4 CS - 304/TF727/NP205/RA D60 4.10 - "Pull Lemuel, pull!"
Mongo - '71 1210 LWB 2WD - 345/TF727/RA17 D60 4.10 Krac-lok - "Mongo love candy! Duh, huh, huh!"
Scoutboy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 06:27 PM   #6
mbiver

Thanks again. Turns out I just had to figure out the order of operations. Once I did, I had plenty of room that I wasnít hitting anything and getting dirt in the pan. The following is what I would recommend based on what I learned. First, chock the tires and jack up the vehicle. Youíll want to safely support the frame with jack stands. You want the tires to hang so youíll have more room between the axle and the bottom of the engine/pan. Next, drain the pan. Then unbolt the oil dipstick from the exhaust manifold. Then detach the drivers side exhaust pipe from the manifold to free up some more room. Youíll probably just need to cut the bolts with a dremel tool or grinder, I did. Remove the small shield from the bottom of the bell housing, since that is blocking the oil pan from dropping, and blocking a couple of bolts/screws. I unbolted all the oil pan bolts but left one in each corner. slowly unbolt the four corners evenly and kind of rock the pan a little to break the old gasket seal. I did put a 5 gallon bucket under it to support it a little so I didnít have to hold it constantly. When you drop the pan straight down you can then easily remove the dipstick from the side. The pan has to be lowered or the angle is wrong and the dipstick wonít come out easily. Once the pan has been lowered to hit the axle and the oil dipstick is removed, from the front of the vehicle move the pan straight to the drivers side as far as you can. Then move it straight back lowering the back of the pan as you go, eventually lowering the front of the pan to clear the axle. I cleaned up the pan and engine mating surface, used some fuel resistant gasket dressing (make sure your gasket dressing is rated for exposure to oil) on the gasket to help seal it, and also helps to hold it in place on the pan when I put it back together. That way you donít have to use string or something in the holes to hold the gasket in place. To put it back, simply reverse the process. Quite an education! Good luck!