IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Transfer Case Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 01-08-2019, 05:10 PM   #16
Richard

Member Number: 969
Default Re: speedo gears???????

this may be a dumb question but, I have to ask:

is it possible that the speedo cable is not turning the correct way. When i have a drill gun running the speedo cable in reverse (counter-clock wise), the speedometer shows that it's working. The speedo gear that is plugged into the D20 transfer case is turning clockwise. or am I missing something here? DAMN!

Did the 3 speed have a"reverse (CCW)" gear, and the 4 speed have a forward (CW) gear turn?
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 05:12 PM   #17
Richard

this may be a dumb question but, I have to ask:

is it possible that the speedo cable is not turning the correct way. When i have a drill gun running the speedo cable in reverse (counter-clock wise), the speedometer shows that it's working. The speedo gear that is plugged into the D20 transfer case is turning clockwise. or am I missing something here? DAMN!

Did the 3 speed have a"reverse (CCW)" gear, and the 4 speed have a forward (CW) gear turn?
Richard is online now Report Post
Old 01-14-2019, 04:04 PM   #18
B&GScout

Member Number: 9572

Google Speedometer adapter or speedometer ratio adapter. There are several folks who will custom-build your adpater. ~ $150 seems to be going rate.
They will need basic info. Your vehicle info. Drive 60 MPH as per a GPS. Note your speedometer. Or you can do the 10 mile distance-over-time method. Send that info to the adpater folks you choose.
B&GScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 05:21 PM   #19
Hondo

Member Number: 4714

They do make reverse drives that look something like the adapter you have in there. Does the speedo read anything when you are in reverse?
1975 Scout II healthy 258, Wide T19 , 4:1 D300 3:54s,
1972 Real clean stock Scout II P/S, P/B, 345, T18, 3:73s
1969 Mach I. Balanced ported 351W, 650 double pumper, Super T10, Detroit locker with 4.11s. Lowered with racing springs, bars, Konis etc.
(Don't worry about getting arrested when I drive the Scouts).
Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 10:28 AM   #20
Richard

Question Re: speedo gears???????

Well, I have another issue with my TC and speedo cable. I have a 77 SII. 196, 4spd with D20 TC. I swapped out the original 3 spd and chain drive TC for the 4spd and D20. My issue is this: the speedometer worked just fine when the 3spd was hooked up. When I changed to the 4spd, all of a sudden my speedo is not working. I checked the speedo cable from TC to the back of speedo, it does turn, it turns CW. When I disconnected the cable at the TC, I verified the the speedo does in fact work, but my drill gun is going in reverse, meaning the speedo cable is turning CCW. Help me here! I checking the TC at the speedo cable connection, it is turning the gear, so the TC cant be the problem? I have the gear reducer attachment on, and off, to check the speedo cable. Same results. I am really stumped! or what am I missing?

HELP!
Old 02-15-2019, 03:40 PM   #21
Winchested

Member Number: 9303

All 3 speedos I have turn with the drill in reverse.

No kinks in the cable?
Winchested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 04:02 PM   #22
Robert Kenney
IHPA Tech Moderator

Member Number: 543

all mechanical speedos turn CCW where there needle moves CW from the drivers POV.

“Don't lift until the fear of death over comes the fear of speed.” Author Unknown
Robert Kenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 08:10 PM   #23
Richard

ahhhhhhh...............................
the D20 TC little doo-hickey screwed into the side of the TC is turning CW. crapola! there are no kinks in the cable. wht do I do?
Old 02-16-2019, 01:15 AM   #24
Robert Kenney
IHPA Tech Moderator

Member Number: 543

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
ahhhhhhh...............................
the D20 TC little doo-hickey screwed into the side of the TC is turning CW. crapola! there are no kinks in the cable. wht do I do?
That is the correct direction. Your POV when looking at the doohickey is the same as looking at the speedo from the drivers POV (point of view). From the back of the speedo the direction of rotation is reversed CCW.

“Don't lift until the fear of death over comes the fear of speed.” Author Unknown
Robert Kenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 07:30 AM   #25
Winchested

Member Number: 9303

Have you pulled the transfer case drive out of the chain driven one and screw it into the D20?
Winchested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 08:51 AM   #26
Hondo

If the chain drive transfer case is still around, I would do a sanity check and see what direction the speedo drive turns on it. Are the physical locations of the speedo outputs on the old and "new" transfer cases the same? Top or bottom, driver or passenger sides? Have you checked to see if the speedo works while backing up? At this point I would considering disconnecting the front of the rear drive shaft. The speedo drive gear is on the rear output shaft, so you could do some checks with it in gear and running. They do make reverse drive adapters if needed.
1969 Mach I. Balanced ported 351W, 650 double pumper, Super T10, Detroit locker with 4.11s. Lowered with racing springs, bars, Konis etc.
Old 02-26-2019, 05:52 AM   #27
Richard

Thanks all for the info. Well, what I did not notice is that the speedo is working (the trip meter), only in reverse. The numbers are getting smaller. I did not check the 3 speed when I had it (n longer) to see what the direction the gear out of the transfer case was going. Dumb me. I just presumed that all IHC gearing for this was the same.

Anyway, i will have to source a reverse gear setup somewhere. Funny: I've never had my speedo going in reverse, like going back in time. Any recommendations on a source for this?

Thanks.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:38 AM   #28
Gunfighter97

Member Number: 9260

IIRC I believe they are called reversing adapters. You would plug this in to your cable at either the drive train end or at the back of the speedo. That should give you something to google atleast, but would leave it up to you on thread size and whatnot. Hopefully that helps resolve you time machine problem

1965 IH D11004x4 "Sherman"
1946 Dodge Job Rated half ton "Rusty"
1973 Fiat 850 Spider "il Cannoli"
Half of a dead 1958 Apache "Mad D-Max(to be)"

Fight the NFA in the Supreme Court! DTOM!
https://gunowners.org/gun-owners-of-...supreme-court/
Gunfighter97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 04:14 PM   #29
Hondo

I would try calling these guys, there web site looks like they have about everything for speedos.
Texas Industrial Electric Co.
11116 Watt Circle
San Antonio Texas 78233
Phone 210 654 4075
Fax 210 599 2843