IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Tool Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 05-31-2010, 01:23 PM   #1
JohnnyC

Member Number: 1085
Default engine stand and hoist?

Does any one have any opinions about the harbor freight engine stand and cherry pickers?
Are they good enough to hold the weight of the 345?
Is there any modifications that have to be done to the engine stand so that the 345 can be mounted safely?
(the last question was asked because I heard that harbor freights engine stand had to be modified to hold the 345)
Old 05-31-2010, 01:49 PM   #2
Robert Kenney
IHPA Tech Moderator

Member Number: 543
Default Re: engine stand and hoist?

Johnny,
no experience with hf engine stands but the cherry pickers are very capable. Use one of the fold up lifts for the race car and it works very nice. Think it is the 2 1/2 ton units.

Don't know how they sell it for $199.99 on sale when the metal and lift cylinder would cost us in the us way more.

“Don't lift until the fear of death over comes the fear of speed.” Author Unknown
Robert Kenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 02:04 PM   #3
JohnnyC

Its actually on sale for like 150 at hf now. Soon as I get home from the field I'll hopefully be picking up one.
Old 05-31-2010, 02:26 PM   #4
Michael Mayben
IHPA Tech Moderator - Retired & No Longer Online

Member Number: 10

I have the folding hf cherry picker (not the red one with the swivel hook) and it's a wonderful tool. It's been severely abused and overloaded with some home-brew extensions for the boom when needed. The valve on the jack, while kinda crude...does allow very fine release so that engine positioning can be done very accurately. I also added a 3klb. Rated "swivel" to the hook so now it will rotate which is always needed.

I also have four of the hf 1,000lb. Engine stands. Again, very serviceable units that will easily hold a fully dressed IH sv motor. A dressed 392 will come in at around 775lbs. Dry and roll around on the stand just fine. They have two axles and four caster/wheels, so they are very stable unlike the three wheel units.

Ya should also swing a hf "engine leveler" in the deal, those work great also and can handle an sv motor with tranny attached. But...you must grease the lead screw with grease (not oil) before attempting to use it the first time.

The issue with those is that only three of the four mounting arms will align with the bellhousing pattern, when mounted in any position, the fourth arm (your choice) is too short. So a few minutes with some scrap steel (5/16") and a drill motor will give ya an extension. I had the same issue when mounting a Ford fe block also.

Been using this stuff now for five years, the picker has been loaned out many times and hauled around in pickups and trailers and has never leaked, the secret is keeping the ram shaft clean and rust/dirt-free.

I use these same stands also for mounting transmissions for overhaul, both manual and tf 727.

Here's a motor bein' stuck inna sii that is lifted about 5" and running 35" tires. We coulda done it outside with no overhead obstructions, but the ceiling in my shop is only 11ft., so we removed the front wheels and set the axle down on the drums. Even with the winch mounted, the lift just barely had the reach to make the stab without adding an extension to the boom.
Attached Images

http://vimeo.com/8149690
Michael Mayben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 02:34 PM   #5
Michael Mayben

Here's a shot of the fabbed extension piece needed to mount the hf engine stand head to any IH sv or I-4 block.

Here ya see it mounted onna 152.

I'll move this thread to "tool talk".
Attached Images

Old 05-31-2010, 02:50 PM   #6
71mtnscout

Member Number: 1369

I have had both the stand and hoist from hf, and will get anothe of each in the near future. Never had any problem with either.
71mtnscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 02:53 PM   #7
JohnnyC

Sweet, I was just about to ask you about the fab piece. Thanks for the quicky. I'm about to undertake a rebuild of a 345 so I'm starting to get all my elk in a row....
I've been checking out some of the threads on rebuilds and man I have alot to learn. The tech jargon sounds like military talk. You wont know it till you do it.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:19 PM   #8
Chris Pucci

Member Number: 479

I have the folding red cherry picker -- I think I got it at carquest or shucks(now orileys) - I think it is the same as the hf one. Works awesome! I've used it for all sorts of stuff. I even loaned it to a guy to load his giant pumpkins so he could haul them to the giant pumpkin weigh off...

My Dana 44 Tech Pages
My Dana 44 Cut and Turn Page
Chris Pucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 03:13 PM   #9
Mark Ashford

Member Number: 1099

I have the hf 2000lbs engine stand and its nice and stout. The engine "arms" need to be modded to hold and sv, but its not that bad. And they are 1" square stock, so beefier than the flat-iron on the lighter stands.

My biggest issue is that it and my hoist (similar to the hf folding unit), don't agree with each other. The legs of the 2k unit splay outward verse the "t" shape of the smaller stand... Hence they don't "mesh" very well. I need to add spacers between the casters and frame to allow it to roll over the hoist legs.

Other than that its a nice unit.
Mark Ashford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 05:55 AM   #10
Scoutboy74

Member Number: 453

Throw anutha on the dawgpyle. The fat white boyz were recently loaned a hft 2.5 folding hoist. In a short time we have managed to use the hell out of that thing. Every time we use it for something, we look at each other wide-eyed and exclaim, "how in the name of zuess's butthole did we manage so long without this sumbeyatch?" jerry, our shop pontificatur doth thinketh it is something akin to emerging from the dark ages into a period of enlightenment. I just think the fookin thing is dam handy to have around, and am in no itchin' hurry to see it go back to it's "former" owner.

Coal Trickle - '99 Dodge Ram SLT 2500 Q-Cab SWB 4x4 - 5.9L 24V CTD/NV4500/8800# GVWR/12K# winch
Hooty - '74 SII 4x4 - 392/TF727/D20/3.73 D44's/Spartan FA/Krac-lok RA/RC 4" SUA/34x11.5 TSLs/33g Fuel/8K# winch
Lemuel - '72 1210 LWB 4x4 CS - 304/TF727/NP205/RA D60 4.10 - "Pull Lemuel, pull!"
Mongo - '71 1210 LWB 2WD - 345/TF727/RA17 D60 4.10 Krac-lok - "Mongo love candy! Duh, huh, huh!"
Scoutboy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:19 AM   #11
Michael Mayben

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutboy74 View Post
throw anutha on the dawgpyle. The fat white boyz were recently loaned a hft 2.5 folding hoist. In a short time we have managed to use the hell out of that thing. Every time we use it for something, we look at each other wide-eyed and exclaim, "how in the name of zuess's butthole did we manage so long without this sumbeyatch?" jerry, our shop pontificatur doth thinketh it is something akin to emerging from the dark ages into a period of enlightenment. I just think the fookin thing is dam handy to have around, and am in no itchin' hurry to see it go back to it's "former" owner.
With three (and sumtime four) fatwhites hangin' around, why tha hail yawl need a dam lift? Ya gotta dam tree limb. Ya gotta jinuwine hf winch that sumtimes works. Ya gotta well pulley and hair rope for hangin' dead bambis. What else does whitetrash need for wrenchin' on shit?

Old 06-03-2010, 06:32 PM   #12
Scoutboy74

Member Number: 453

Cuz my papa mayben dun lernt me up guuder tuh alwayz yooz the raht tule fer the job an' them iz werds the fwbeez live by, bigger 'n shit!

Coal Trickle - '99 Dodge Ram SLT 2500 Q-Cab SWB 4x4 - 5.9L 24V CTD/NV4500/8800# GVWR/12K# winch
Hooty - '74 SII 4x4 - 392/TF727/D20/3.73 D44's/Spartan FA/Krac-lok RA/RC 4" SUA/34x11.5 TSLs/33g Fuel/8K# winch
Lemuel - '72 1210 LWB 4x4 CS - 304/TF727/NP205/RA D60 4.10 - "Pull Lemuel, pull!"
Mongo - '71 1210 LWB 2WD - 345/TF727/RA17 D60 4.10 Krac-lok - "Mongo love candy! Duh, huh, huh!"
Scoutboy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 12:13 PM   #13
herculz

Member Number: 313

Not sure if you already got it, but for 3 days hf has chopped down prices for a pre fathers day sale this weekend, their parking lot sale, and the 10-20 bucks insurance isn't bad incase you break it, just take it back and vuala another one to break.
herculz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:41 AM   #14
Drew Merrick

Member Number: 496

I like my hf hoist and engine stand. After borrowing mayben's hoist a few years back I was impressed with their capabilities. The engine stand I have was in my shop when I moved in and it didn't play nice with the hoist set up, and like Mark said, it can be a real bitch.

After I got my hf hoist I modified it a bit. I welded in a couple of corner supports, a strap system to hold the legs up, and I painted the entire hoist van sickle case IH red. I also upgraded the chain, swivel and hook to farm grade just to ease my mind about the chinese steel. Hf also sells an air over hydrolic ram that fits their hoists for $70. Been thinking about upgrading to that unit.

The engine stand will need an extension to fit the bell housing. Luckily I had some spare steel around. If you get the splayed leg stand you will need to modify the caster height to work with the splayed legs of the hoist.. Or if you get the t stand you need to weld on a cross peice and put a couple of casters on the end instead of one.
1962 Scout 80
1972 D1210 4X4 Truck
Brewmaster
drewmerrick.org
callsign: K0IHC
Drew Merrick is offline   Reply With Quote