IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Tool Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 05-28-2010, 08:33 PM   #1
Michael Mayben
IHPA Tech Moderator - Retired & No Longer Online

Member Number: 10
Default Yet Another One Person Brake Bleeder

Yep, here we go again, one more brake bleeder that eliminates a pedal-pumper.

This unit is street priced at harbor freight for $29.95 usually, this time it was on sale for $19.95 so I snaked one to see how it worked.

Works off the principle of pulling a partial vacuum on each wheel cylinder/caliper in turn, same as using the mityvac hand vacuum pump. Only the vacuum pump in this unit is pneumatically operated from a compressed air source.

Above average quality of the plastic stuff for typical hf, even the bleeder hose is a silicone material which should be unaffected over the long term by any hydraulic fluids.

The filler bottle adapters are sized for the typical euro-asian master cylinder reservoir necks, three adapters come with the unit. One of the adapters will work on the girling-pattern master cylinder used on the Scout 80. But none of those adapters will work on any other IH-app master. So using the source fluid bottle in an "automatic" form is out of the question unless it's adapted.

Both plastic containers are reasonable thickness, the screw on tops are nicely made and seal/hold vacuum just fine.

This unit works by connecting the gun to a compressed air source of 90>120psi. A quick-connect fitting on the bleeder hose is snapped onto the nipple of the bleeder screw (once it's broken loose) and fits very well on all sizes of bleeder screws I have on hand here in the shop.

Once the bleeder screw is cracked, then the trigger on the gun is actuated and instantly a vacuum is pulled on the waste fluid jug, visible flow of fluid and air bubbles is easily monitored, when the stream becomes solid, the air is pulled from the previously-opened hydraulic plumbing. Same principle as using the mityvac except the vacuum is created through the gun/pump system instead of by constantly squeezing/releasing the mityvac trigger to pull a partial vacuum.
Attached Images

http://vimeo.com/8149690
Michael Mayben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 08:33 PM   #2
Michael Mayben

Default Re: Yet Another One Person Brake Bleeder

In order to make this unit more convenient for work with dual channel master cylinders, I used a discarded mc lid that fits my trucks to modify.

In this case, the lid can be turned around to feed whichever reservoir I'm bleeding from and will barely clear the hood onna pickall.
Attached Images

Last edited by Michael Mayben; 05-31-2010 at 06:56 AM..
Old 05-31-2010, 07:02 AM   #3
Michael Mayben

The threaded end of the ball valve assembly is a metric thread, 14mm x 1.0m. After cutting out the rubber diaphragm and drilling a hole in the lid, I used two nuts and two fiber washers to mount the valve.

If I need to use the reservoir on another mc where the included adapters can be used, then it's a simple matter to dismount.

This container is sealed once the lid is screwed on and is not vented, thus clean brake fluid can be retained for a short period of time.

As we know, dot3 rated brake fluid is extremely hygroscopic. And...the plastic container allows moisture migration (atmospheric contamination) through the plastic material over time. Ya don't store dot3 for extended periods in a container like this!
Attached Images

Old 05-31-2010, 07:07 AM   #4
Michael Mayben

Here's the fluid bottle set up onna master cylinder front reservoir (rear brake channel). Because the bottle is not vented, when ya open the ball valve, fluid is dispensed only when a vacuum is pulled on the particular wheel cylinder being bled.
Attached Images

Old 05-31-2010, 07:13 AM   #5
Michael Mayben

And here is the vacuum unit set up on a drum assembly.

I was pleasantly surprised to see how well this tool works! It made for a very quick and easy bleeding process and totally eliminated any mess normally encountered.

In some cases, it May be necessary to remove each bleeder screw in advance and use teflon thread tape on the threads in order to "tighten" the seal when the bleeder screw is installed. That will prevent air migration around the threads when the bleeder screw is backed out to allow fluid flow. This same thing is also needed when using a mityvac hand vacuum pump as a brake bleeder.

Use only teflon tape, do not use any other form of "thread sealant"!

Excellent tool and a great price!
Attached Images

Old 05-31-2010, 07:49 AM   #6
71mtnscout

Member Number: 1369

Have you used it in a real life bleed? I saw it the other day when I was at hf getting my airsaw replaced and picking up a cheap sawzall to cut up the sii and the parts van for scrap.
I have used the mighty vac for it but the wife likes to be involved so we still do it the old fashion way.
71mtnscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 08:26 AM   #7
Michael Mayben

Real life bleed? That's what is going on in the last pic. I don't "stage" work like this. See the waste fluid in the jug?

Included a master cylinder replacement and a rear axle/brake set replacement. Maximum amount of atmospheric air entered the plumbing. The entire bleeding operation completed in under fifteen minutes.

The key words in this entire evaluation are "one person" and "pneumatic". If two folks are involved, nothing is needed to bleed except a wrench, some toob, and a coke bottle...and at least three times around the entire circuit to eliminate all air on a dual channel system.

Old 05-31-2010, 10:42 AM   #8
71mtnscout

Member Number: 1369

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael mayben View Post
real life bleed? That's what is going on in the last pic. I don't "stage" work like this. See the waste fluid in the jug?
Sorry michael....didnt see the waste fluid. Its a nice setup for $20! Should make life a bit easier in a 1 man operation.
71mtnscout is offline   Reply With Quote