IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Tool Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 01-04-2011, 09:39 AM   #1
codeman

Member Number: 2424
Default Eastwood 135 MIG welder

Anybody used one of these units?? Getting ready to buy a mig and this one seems to fit the bill. The info online doesn't list the unit as aluminum capable. What say ye?
codeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:00 AM   #2
Michael Mayben
IHPA Tech Moderator - Retired & No Longer Online

Member Number: 10
Default Re: Eastwood 135 MIG welder

I believe that is a typical "eastwood" private label deal of a clarke welder (british company by way of china).

If you want a cheep chinese welder, then go harbor freight since their customer service regarding problems and returns in the stores is as good as walmart.

For running any similar mig rigs with aluminum wire, it must be fitted with a teflon liner or use a spool gun.

I run aluminum wire occasionally on my 135 hobart (no liner), as long as you have no "droop" or any bend in the feed it works "kinda" ok, but any bend at all makes a dam mess that has to be cleared and is not worth the effort. It's simply not ever practical to not have a bend in your feed!

http://vimeo.com/8149690
Michael Mayben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:17 AM   #3
codeman

Thanks!!!! Looks like I'll stay away from that!!! I was really looking at the hobart handler 140, recommended by a welder/fabricator friend. Just trying to save a few $$$, but would rather have a better tool!!!
Old 01-04-2011, 10:35 AM   #4
Michael Mayben
IHPA Tech Moderator - Retired & No Longer Online

Member Number: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman View Post
thanks!!!! Looks like I'll stay away from that!!! I was really looking at the hobart handler 140, recommended by a welder/fabricator friend. Just trying to save a few $$$, but would rather have a better tool!!!
I have the earlier version of the hobart, the "135". Same machine as the miller (common company now for many years) but with delrin rollers. I've had absolutely no problems at all with it over the years and highly recommend at it's "price point". And I use the large capacity wire spools also on it (the heavy ones!). I rarely use flux core wire anymore since I don't normally work outside in the wind with it. I keep only "steel mix" gas on hand now (75% argon, 25% co2) for general shop work.

http://vimeo.com/8149690
Michael Mayben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:10 AM   #5
Chris Pucci

Member Number: 479

If you are going to run aluminum more than once in a great while - you should save your money and get a quality unit that will run a spool gun.

My Dana 44 Tech Pages
My Dana 44 Cut and Turn Page
Chris Pucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:01 PM   #6
fungus

Member Number: 2207

If you're seriously going to get into mig go with a namebrand unit (hobart, lincoln, miller). Customer support on the aforementioned is superb and you should be able to get parts at any local welding supply and some home depot/ lowes. I've run the occational aluminum & ss through my lincoln sp-170 (220v machine) and like mm says, kindof makes a mess and not worth the hastle unless you're in a bind. Been running my lincoln for going on 15 years and only replaced the standard consumables/ service items (tips, liner, cone, wire, gas). Great machine.
1968 Bronco 20" stretch 6 seater in progress
fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:19 PM   #7
72 ScoutII

Member Number: 2305
Default love my Eastwood 135 MIG welder

I bought one this past septemebr and spent about a month reparing extensive rot on my 72 Scout frame which is all 1/8 steel. Worked like a charm with fluxore wire. Used up two small spools of wire. No problems.
72 ScoutII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:39 PM   #8
Rennkafer

Member Number: 1114

Quote:
Originally Posted by fungus View Post
if you're seriously going to get into mig go with a namebrand unit (hobart, lincoln, miller). Customer support on the aforementioned is superb and you should be able to get parts at any local welding supply and some home depot/ lowes. I've run the occational aluminum & ss through my lincoln sp-170 (220v machine) and like mm says, kindof makes a mess and not worth the hastle unless you're in a bind. Been running my lincoln for going on 15 years and only replaced the standard consumables/ service items (tips, liner, cone, wire, gas). Great machine.
I'll second this... I've owned a lincoln sp100 for about 23 years now and replaced nothing but the standard stuff. I can still buy the tips/etc from any welding shop.

You're pretty much out of luck with the chinese welders after a few years in my experience with friends buying them.

I'll throw another idea in the mix, if you plan to do much aluminum, save up a little more money and buy a tig. You can get a used tig for not a ton more than a mig (I bought my miller synchrowave 300 for $650 with a new torch). The tig will do aluminum much easier and give nicer welds.
1997 Mazda Miata STO "Wallace"
Rennkafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:54 AM   #9
codeman

Thumbs up Re: Eastwood 135 MIG welder

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I bought a hobart handler 187. Stepped up to 230 volts!! Lots of suggestins to do that. Glad I did!!!!! Unit works great, just got to get used to it!!! Wire feed is so different than stick!!!