IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Basic Tech Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 07-12-2019, 11:10 AM   #1
mallen

Member Number: 8283
Default Height of step side bed on 1210 pickup.

I have a 72 1210 ... sort of. Its a 69 cab from a D1500 on a 72 chassis from a D1210, with a 74 step side (yea, IH called it the standard or some such) bed from a 100. One interesting , and easily remedied issue I had was that the custom heavy steel bumper I have requires a half inch trimmed and a couple of notches cut to fit properly with the bed. That part is not a big deal and not particularly surprising considering that it was made for a truck with a bonus load bed.
The 74 bed mounts differently. The original Bonus Load bed that came with the truck (which was more like a giant pile of rusty flakes with a few pieces of faded orange sheet metal thrown in) was mounted to a pair of brackets with bolts and springs in the front the hardware was missing in the back. The new bed mounts directly to the frame in the front and back. There are holes in the back that line up with the holes in the bed, so thats not a problem. In the front I will have to drill a pair of holes. That wont be difficult either. The problem Im having is, it appears that the bed slopes toward the front of the truck when it rests on the frame rails. As such I will need to add some shims or perhaps a polyurethane pad under the front.
Now that I have explained the issue, I am hoping someone can provide me with a measurement from the top edge of the rain gutter on the cab to the height that top edge of a step side bed comes to at the back of the cab so I can shim it to the proper height. I looked at a some pictures on google and I can see that the Bonus Load actually comes up a little higher than the step side bed. It sits up past the ridge in the sheet metal on the back of the cab where as the step side is slightly below.
mallen is offline   Reply With Quote