IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Carb Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 03-24-2010, 08:53 AM   #106
Michael Mayben
IHPA Tech Moderator - Retired & No Longer Online

Member Number: 10
Default Re: Holley 23XX Series Modular Carb Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin7 View Post
hey guys. 2,840 miles later I'm back. We left for nebraska on Thursday night and just got home. I got the parts to get the carb running again (thanks mm) and see if the check valve is the problem. But... I'm trashed, so I'm gonna let you guys know what's up after I fix it up tomorrow.
On another note, hell ya I'm warped enough! Just don't expect me to be quite rednecky enough to know right away how to respond to all this crap!
You spend sum time at binder u. In the company of the fwbeez, either you will take redneck to another level or yore dam haid will be exploded.

However, if ya make a trek up to Binder Bee 2010, you will be treated inna kinder/gentler manner since that is a family-oriented operation that we use to intro a few selected folks into the redneck way.

Sparky (aka brotherbryce) brought his whole famdamly to binder u. The first time to act as a human shield since he'd heard about how "harsh" an initial orientation can be...since then he's dun lernt ta take huge amounts of abuse (verbal and physical) and go away grinnin' like Joe biden after a whisperin' session.

http://vimeo.com/8149690
Michael Mayben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 06:38 PM   #107
Benjamin7

Member Number: 1621

Hey mayben, I put the new needle and a bearing on top of it, then I reinstalled the carb. It's still running like shite. It appears that fuel is still dribbling out of somewhere. Now I'm wondering if I used the right parts in my rebuild! I installed the exact same gaskets as what I removed, I double, tripple and quadruple checked it to be sure they were an exact match... Maybe the gaskets that were in it were bad?? I dunno. Can ya help me figure this out?
Thanks again.
Benjamin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 06:52 PM   #108
Michael Mayben

Send it in for a looksee, no charge for that (other than shipping on your nickel) and we'll give ya a full report on what is happening! I can analyze it and tell ya exactly what's wrong in under 15 minutes. But...if ya want it repaired and reconditioned, then ya gotta bite the bullet! And it will be tested onna live motor with pics to prove it!

Other than that, it's a continuous crapshoot and is impossible to "fix" by back and forth bs'n. I need to hear and see and feel it in order to diagnose!

My suspicions lean towards the metering block being grunged internally. All the plugs need to come out in order to do that, then bare block goes through an additional cleaning operation that I don't discuss in the forum (no, it does not involve ultrasonic cleaning which will do nothing for a grunged metering block).

Old 03-24-2010, 07:05 PM   #109
Benjamin7

Ya had to mention money.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:15 PM   #110
Scoutboy74

Member Number: 453

If yawl can git the pyle here to shop north afore 6pm Friday, I got room on the short bus for it. I'm headed up to binder u for the weekend. Short notice, but that would save you one way shipping.

Coal Trickle - '99 Dodge Ram SLT 2500 Q-Cab SWB 4x4 - 5.9L 24V CTD/NV4500/8800# GVWR/12K# winch
Hooty - '74 SII 4x4 - 392/TF727/D20/3.73 D44's/Spartan FA/Krac-lok RA/RC 4" SUA/34x11.5 TSLs/33g Fuel/8K# winch
Lemuel - '72 1210 LWB 4x4 CS - 304/TF727/NP205/RA D60 4.10 - "Pull Lemuel, pull!"
Mongo - '71 1210 LWB 2WD - 345/TF727/RA17 D60 4.10 Krac-lok - "Mongo love candy! Duh, huh, huh!"
Scoutboy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:12 PM   #111
Benjamin7

I'd come over but I cant Ford the alkygazz ta put in my pickumup truk. Iffin I werk reel gud this comin' week I probly be piled hi wit da extra buks... Then I's gunna sen this har dagum thinga-ma-gaz-mixin'-majinger down to mars and milkyway ta git me tooned up reel gud.

How was that?!?
That takes too much concentration. I'm gonna just talk normal now. Thanks for the offer trever, but I think I'm gonna tear the whole thing down again and see if I just screwed somethin' up that's real simple... I May also rejet it with smaller and see if that helps. I dunno, I just know that with the block getting magged and possibly honed I'm gonna be real short for a while. We'll see tho!

Last edited by Benjamin7; 03-24-2010 at 09:17 PM..
Old 03-24-2010, 09:27 PM   #112
Scoutboy74

Well, you shore do tawk reel purdee, theyz no dowt abowt that. Yeah I thought about the fuel expense as I typed and wondered if that might actually be even more expensive than just shipping it all the way for a carb-sized item. I dunno. Dam ekspensive shit fuel anyway.

Coal Trickle - '99 Dodge Ram SLT 2500 Q-Cab SWB 4x4 - 5.9L 24V CTD/NV4500/8800# GVWR/12K# winch
Hooty - '74 SII 4x4 - 392/TF727/D20/3.73 D44's/Spartan FA/Krac-lok RA/RC 4" SUA/34x11.5 TSLs/33g Fuel/8K# winch
Lemuel - '72 1210 LWB 4x4 CS - 304/TF727/NP205/RA D60 4.10 - "Pull Lemuel, pull!"
Mongo - '71 1210 LWB 2WD - 345/TF727/RA17 D60 4.10 Krac-lok - "Mongo love candy! Duh, huh, huh!"
Old 03-24-2010, 09:46 PM   #113
Benjamin7

Turns out I can do a flat rate box for less than $20. I May go ahead and cushion the carb with lead shot (as much as I can pack in there) since they don't care about how much it weighs "as long as it fits, it ships!". That would be a purdee suprise for mayben
Old 03-25-2010, 08:09 AM   #114
Michael Mayben

Quote:
turns out I can do a flat rate box for less than $20. I May go ahead and cushion the carb with lead shot (as much as I can pack in there) since they don't care about how much it weighs "as long as it fits, it ships!". That would be a purdee suprise for mayben
I use only usps priority "flat rate" for all my outbound shipping here, a 2300 will fit the "large" box provided by your local p.o. And the cost is $14.85. Normal service is two days anywhere in the 48, sometimes it's next day. Mail only goes out of the valley here after 4:00p, so if I drop a package after 4p, priority is then 3 days.

Old 03-31-2010, 11:53 AM   #115
Benjamin7

Hey mm, at the local scrap yard I found a carb
151786 r94
list 1710-49
part's monkey say's $40 bucks. I need a carb for the 345 truck I just picked up. Think this will work?

By the way, I switched back to the smaller #49 jets and retuned the carb. It's running a lot better now, doesn't seem to be dripping fuel, but it's still not quite right on my 345 that's in my Scout now. I was gonna try the #51's tonight and see if those are the "just right" inbetween spot. My woman sure doesn't think much of the manual choke... What does it take to convert those things over to an automatic?
Old 03-31-2010, 12:15 PM   #116
Scoutboy74

At the risk of being paddled by papa yet again, I don't believe the oe style of 2300 can be converted to automatic electric choke, unless it came installed with a hot air choke housing on the passenger side. To get electric requires the aftermarket 2300, list #0-7448, which Jeff sells here. The elec choke option must be specified at the time of purchase. An existing 7448 carb with manual choke can be converted to electric after the fact via a conversion kit. As far as the boneyard mixer, I'm awaiting mm's reply on that with baited breath. Has it been hermitcally sealed in an owlgorz uhproovd vac pouch since removed from service? Prolly grandmaster funkalishus on the inside.

Old 03-31-2010, 12:38 PM   #117
Benjamin7

If mr owl gorz think's rust-buckets leakin' 20 year old oil and antifreeze down into our groundwater from u-pull-it wreckin' yards is an "approved container" then approved it is! It's just sitting out on an engine. I was pretty surpized so see it. It looks like the 2300 that I have only the vac advance comes off on the pass side closer to the air horn slightly behind the fuel bowl. Since it was sitting on an engine and no-one else wanted it I'm assuming it's junk, but I thought I'd ask the master.
Help me mayben-won-kanobe... You're my only hope
Old 03-31-2010, 12:58 PM   #118
Michael Mayben

Quote:
hey mm, at the local scrap yard I found a carb
151786 r94
list 1710-49
part's monkey say's $40 bucks. I need a carb for the 345 truck I just picked up. Think this will work?

By the way, I switched back to the smaller #49 jets and retuned the carb. It's running a lot better now, doesn't seem to be dripping fuel, but it's still not quite right on my 345 that's in my Scout now. I was gonna try the #51's tonight and see if those are the "just right" inbetween spot. My woman sure doesn't think much of the manual choke... What does it take to convert those things over to an automatic?
Many variations of that list were used on ihc-produced 266 and a few 304. It's manual choke only and cannot be converted to any form of hot air or electric choke. Pretty common unit.

Virtually no difference as compared to the near identical unit used on some 304 and 345...except it has normally two steps larger main jets than the 345 version.

All the variations are shown in an extensive table contained in the various IH service manuals with complete specs by both IH p/n and Holley list.

$40 is somewhat high for a boneyard core, I'd not pay that unless it's a virgin in outstanding condition appearance-wise and has had no internal water damage, no hammer damage around the needle/seat, and no scrunched screwdriver receptacles, highly unlikely with boneyard shit.

I've torn into many supposed pristine ebay Holley carbs that folks have sent in, in not one single instance in five years now have any of those been worth servicing due to water damage.

Any Holley 2300 oem carb onna Ford, IH, etc. Application that is a hot air choke can be converted to electric actuation. And virtually any Ford app oem 2300 can be used on an IH app, but the throttle linkage May need some fudging.

Old 04-13-2010, 06:30 PM   #119
SUPER WENCH

Member Number: 888

Metering block and bowl flaking metal!

I cracked my bowl from my metering block and crap fell out everywhere! It is metallic flakes, like a coating over the zinc casting. It is hard, not like a plastic coating. Have you ever seen anything like this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 028.jpg (75.8 KB, 399 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0543.jpg (57.4 KB, 378 views)
SUPER WENCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:39 PM   #120
Michael Mayben

Welcome to my long-lost cuzzin/sister/daughter/aunt from clarksville,tejas! I thought she dun forgot all about us

yawl treat kim here real nice...she's got her mechanical shit together and can kick anyone's azz when it comes to wrench twistin', includin' mine.

Me an kim dun been talkin' about this pile tonite, but I thought..."it kain't be that bad"...wrong!!! This is an aftermarket replacement 2300 that mixes carbonsludge for feeding a built 345.

What the fook is that shit kim??? That metering block needs to go into isolation lockdown and hazmat called in before it starts breedin'! That is not at all what I thought it might be!

This is a Holley 2300 that kim bought off the 'net from a commercial carb supplier about a year ago. Worked ok in the beginning, but has slowly deteriorated over time. She's tryin' to find the paperwork and who the vendor was, but right now we don't have that info.

My initial thought is that the metering block was put through some kind of cleaning process, and then coated with something. Why a commercial carb remanner would do that I have no idea, new metering blocks are available from Holley, commercial carb builders would have no reason to mess with some workaround like this.

Kim also did an acid wash some time back of her sii fuel tank (terra), and then the por 15 tank treatment. My initial thoughts were that the e10 fuel has been attacking the tank coating, causing it to deteriorate. But I don't know the current status of e10 vs. Por 15 in both the short term and the long term.

I suggested to kim that she remove the core plugs in the metering block, and see if she can have it ultra-sonically cleaned at her workplace. Or, simply scrap it for a replacement. So she needs to gimme the Holley code off the top so I can determine if we have a replacement or where we can find one.

More to come, unless just postin' those pics leads to a meltdown of owlgore's I-net.