IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Tool Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 01-28-2009, 11:00 AM   #1
GK_Slick

Member Number: 574
Default Welders

I am curious if a 240v miller 180 is "big" enough to weld the "c"s from a Dana 44 back onto the axle tubes? Flux core vs. Gas?... Any advice welcome.

Thanks

oops. Guess this should be in the tool talk.
5/77 GGD SII, 345/727/D20, Holly2v 0-7448, D44 F&R 3.07s, SJ 4"SUA & ssBrkLns, +2"Shkls, RPT eng/trns mnts & steering support plate, DUI diz & LvWr ign., ps, pb, cruise, tilt, a/c, and most factory opts.
GK_Slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:28 AM   #2
Robert Kenney
IHPA Tech Moderator

Member Number: 543
Default Re: Welders

Yes the 180 is big enough. Don't just do a single pass. Multi- pass or create a full fillet using a zig zag movement. I have a millermatic 130amp/110 volt unit and it would be up to the task preheated.

Always with a gas cover/mig. Flux core is messy and in many cases brittle with cells.

“Don't lift until the fear of death over comes the fear of speed.” Author Unknown
Robert Kenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 02:38 PM   #3
GK_Slick

Thanks robertk,
as I look into doing this "cut n turn" I get more and more courage to do it myself plus it doesn't help I am froogle and was given my welder as a gift for a birthday. So if I can get a gas bottle and a spool of wire for what it would cost to have someone else weld it then I see that as coming out ahead! Except my skills May not be good enough. If my weld sucks my friend will tell me. At that point I guess I can cut if off and re-do it.
So .035 wire and argon sound good?
5/77 GGD SII, 345/727/D20, Holly2v 0-7448, D44 F&R 3.07s, SJ 4"SUA & ssBrkLns, +2"Shkls, RPT eng/trns mnts & steering support plate, DUI diz & LvWr ign., ps, pb, cruise, tilt, a/c, and most factory opts.
Old 01-28-2009, 03:00 PM   #4
Robert Kenney
IHPA Tech Moderator

I would only recomend having some one with "exceptional" welding skills attempt the welding. If you have a problem you May not know it untill it breaks. That could be a life endangering event.

save your money and have a good welder weld it. The small tank will run $100.00 or so from an outfit like airgas or prax air.

The proper cover gas for mig on mild steel using er70 alloy wire is mix 75% co2 + 25% argon.

“Don't lift until the fear of death over comes the fear of speed.” Author Unknown
Old 01-28-2009, 07:10 PM   #5
reuben

Member Number: 35

Weld it with flux core will be fine. Flux core wire has something like 60,000 pd. Tensile strength it is more then enough if you know how to weld it correctly, with multiple pass, not 1 giant zig zag pass.

http://www.thisdysfunctional.org

http://www.norcalscouts.com

reuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:13 PM   #6
username

Member Number: 781

Ditto on the 75-25, works the best. The innershield wire would be fine. It's plenty strong.

Based upon your experience with the welder and the mig process, I would have a reputable welder do the job. You could probably get it done but it would suck if you didn't. The cost of the welds if you do the rest yourself will probably be less than you can get set up to run mig anyways.

Tony
username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 10:06 PM   #7
GK_Slick

Hey thanks everyone. I don't have a problem standing on, sitting on or riding on a weld I do but putting my son and/or wife on them is a different matter. Well at least on a 5200+ lb vehicle. At least for now.

Thanks again
Old 01-29-2009, 07:49 AM   #8
Robert Kenney
IHPA Tech Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben View Post
weld it with flux core will be fine. Flux core wire has something like 60,000 pd. Tensile strength it is more then enough if you know how to weld it correctly, with multiple pass, not 1 giant zig zag pass.
I agree fcaw is adequate but it can also be more difficult to the less experienced to create a satisfactory weld. A multi pass weld where the slag is not removed before the next pass can be even worse . I guess it depends on what one considers a satisfactory weld.

Old 01-27-2010, 03:12 PM   #9
Rock Tractor
IHPA Tech Moderator

Member Number: 46

All flux core/nr211 wire has a 70,000 tensile strenght. Pre heating has nothing to do with penatration. Pre heating and post heating is only for control of the cooling process. Yes you can use a 110v welder, but it will not be the proper way to do it. Now for structural steel we use nr232 because it is a lohy wire same as 7018 stick. The 180 will handle the job, but you need to ask yourself, "can the operator/you handle it?".

Dysfunctional RockCrawlers
NorCal Scouts
DANGER RANGER RACING
Rock Tractor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:20 PM   #10
Robert Kenney
IHPA Tech Moderator

Wow, you dug up an old post!! Year old in 2 days.

I don't mig anything anymore other then feild repairs.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:34 PM   #11
Rock Tractor
IHPA Tech Moderator

Member Number: 46

This was the first time I read this thread and I saw misinformation. We pride ourselves here with facts and not opinion, so I figured I'd post for the folks that read this for tech.

Dysfunctional RockCrawlers
NorCal Scouts
DANGER RANGER RACING
Rock Tractor is offline   Reply With Quote