IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Tool Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 03-14-2008, 01:39 PM   #1
Michael Mayben
IHPA Tech Moderator - Retired & No Longer Online

Member Number: 10
Default Tool Org 101

Since I'm re-orgin' and movin' my office space and parts/tool storage into our former wood shop, I'm onna mission to git my guapo together. Phase one and phase too are completo now. Let's see what everyone else does with all that stuff that won't fit inna rollaround?

I'm first...

Here's my "tooltree". Did this several years ago when we started building la casa de agua. Needed a method to store the nailers, staplers, saws, etc. Before we got dried in. I just threw a plastic tarp over it every nite after drying off all the toys (it rained the whole time we framed the building). Some nites I hung a halogen lamp under the tarp (carefully of course) to help dry out and heat the air tools for the next day's shootin'.

This is a simple outdoor teevee antenna "tripod" mount (reel cheep at radio shack)) that I'd previously used for a temporary satellite dish mount out in tha back lot.

Crammed a section of 1-1/4" pvc scrap down the gullet, and then used steel stud screws to hang on some various types of hooks I had on hand...nuthin' fancee.

The laminate flooring scraps (with pad attached) keep from dingin' the vinyl floor and makes tha rig slide ez when I need to move it. It will prolly go onto casters next.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ToolTree1.jpg (110.4 KB, 293 views)
File Type: jpg ToolTree2.jpg (79.2 KB, 253 views)

http://vimeo.com/8149690
Michael Mayben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 01:51 PM   #2
Michael Mayben
IHPA Tech Moderator - Retired & No Longer Online

Member Number: 10
Default Re: Tool Org 101

This izza cordless power tool charging station. I also keep anything that has to do with "grinding" in this along with all the long ship's auger bits, etc. Drill bits are kept in the shop with the drill press stuff located in the welding/metal fab area.

Basically an inexpensive harbor freight rolling tool stand, I think these are just as high quality as the high end sears, snap on, matco versions for semi-pro use.

Just mount up a hd power strip, roll to the job, and plug in.

I'm vested heavily in dewalt stuff,. So I can use the same charging units for all the dewalt/b&d stuff, no matter the voltage. I ain't really got a preference for a single brand (as long as it's commercial quality), the dewalt collection just grew 'causea findin' bargins or because of best tool for the job. That articulating screwdriver/drill is the finest tool I own, sumtimes I sleep with it!
Attached Images

http://vimeo.com/8149690
Michael Mayben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 06:09 PM   #3
Doc Stewart
IH Guru

Member Number: 656
Default Re: Tool Org 101

My solution for less-frequently used tools is a separate tool box [flea market finds] For each type. Grommeting tools are in a fishing tackle box with the various sized gormmets in the small compartments. 12 volt electrical tools are in a a plastic two drawer tool box that didn't cut it for holding my metric wrenches and sockets. I emptied it before it fell apart. It works well enough for the lighter electrical stuff. An old tool box with tray holds all kinds of punches and metal bits for adapting this to that. Another carry box holds extra screwdrivers and wrenches. Some occasional use tools have their own boxes such as the 22 blank stud driver. An old three drawer night stand holds sand paper, steel wool and sanding pads. A small blue print storage cabinet holds gaskets and seals: two drawers for IH sv8 stuff, a drawer for 6 cyl, a drawer for mercedes stuff and two drawers for gasket paper to make my own.

A tall two door metal 6' cabinet with adjustable shelves holds lots of speciality parts in some sembalence of order. Another cabinet holds most of my lubes.
Doc Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote