View Single Post
Old 06-25-2013, 03:22 PM   #34
ihpartsjeff
Administrator & Owner

Member Number: 1
Default Re: IH Parts America's 1971 Scout 800B

With disc brakes now installed up front a proper matching master cylinder should be installed and is also why we include one with our kit. We already sell a disc front/drum rear brake master cylinder for the Scout 80/800 so one was pulled from the shelf and installed. In order to bolt in the master cylinder some additional clearance is required between it and the wheel well. A few hits with a hammer and the needed clearance was obtained.

To top off the install and our kit and to make sure everything works correctly a proper brake proportioning valve for disc brake front and drum brake rear was installed. Later Scout 800's originally came with a distribution block while early Scout 800's and 80's with the single reservoir master cylinder only had a basic junction block. Upgrading to a proportioning valve is a huge improvement over both performance and safety. Our kit will also include pre-bent brake lines from the master cylinder to the proportioning valve.

For easier access in installing the proportioning valve I removed the steering column. Since my bell joint boot was missing and the column was out I decided to go ahead and install one of our borgeson column kits.

borgeson steering kit for 69'-71' Scout 800a & 800B - new lower price! - International Scout parts

For those interested in our disc brake kit we have them available for the Scout 800a and 800B. For those with a Scout 80 or early Scout 800 with single reservoir master cylinder additional brake lines will be needed in order to perform the install.

CPT front disc brake kit for Scout 800 - International Scout parts

When installing disc brakes most don't know this but drum brake wheels are designed differently than disc brake wheels so usually they must also be replaced when the conversion is performed. Due to the way a drum brake wheel is designed it does not have the proper clearance for the brake caliper. Knowing this I decided to go with Scout II chrome rallye wheels. At the same time I had a fresh set of 31x10.50 goodyear wrangler duratrac tires installed.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 039.JPG (115.5 KB, 5035 views)
File Type: jpg 045dbkpic.JPG (91.1 KB, 4648 views)
File Type: jpg 040.JPG (83.3 KB, 4584 views)
File Type: jpg 047.JPG (151.6 KB, 5308 views)
File Type: jpg 250dbkpic.JPG (119.4 KB, 6134 views)
File Type: jpg 025.JPG (167.0 KB, 9234 views)
File Type: jpg 027.JPG (183.3 KB, 5475 views)

Jeff Ismail
IH Parts America - Owner
IH Sierra Fall Rallye Event Coordinator
Binder Books
CPT - Crawler Proven Technology
(530)274-1795
ihpartsjeff is offline   Reply With Quote