View Single Post
Old 08-16-2013, 12:38 PM   #31
Patrick Morris
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2007
Member Number: 148
Posts: 152
Default Re: My '78 is getting a set of #7100 Bilsteins

Hi Jeff. I appreciate your understanding. I wouldn't mention outside pricing or purchasing of stuff in this forum of things you carry. It'd just be bad form.

Chico: I was thinking, even if you do go spring-over some day, as long as your travel doesn't increase (and it May not), you could keep these shocks. Just move up the lower mounting points by 5" or whatever ends up being the difference. Easy to do with a welder and some spare steel.

Btw, I've been doing some research of the 7100 shocks, mostly over on pirate. The guys in the desert racing subforum seem to be the most into this technology. Turns out that the 7100s aren't actually "digressive", despite Bilstein's hype about how great it is and how we all need it. 7100s are actually linear-valved, since that's what works best for medium and high speed off-road driving. In fact, among their higher end competition shocks, only the 9100s have an option to use digressive pistons (that's where digressive/linear is determined; by the type of piston.) digressive is well suited to purely rock-crawling, so they say.

I guess how the digressive pistons work is that they have some kind of upwardly curved surface, and that surface effectively pre-loads the low-speed damping shims/plates (the biggest ones next to the piston). So what Bilstein (and others) are doing is using a shim stack that'd make the damping otherwise kind of "soft", and then pre-loading the low-speed damping to make low-speed shaft travel artificially firm. There's nothing really magical about digressive damping. At least this is what I've gotten from my readings.

But the bottom line is, who cares what kind of piston/valving the 7100s have. They work bitchin.

I want to play with the rear damping though. I think it could use a little more rebound control. I'm putting together a nitrogen refilling setup. Have the tank, regulator, and no-air-loss chuck already. All I need now is a hose. I've read that the best type to use is hydraulic hose since it's well made and rated to absurdly high pressures. I just need to find one that's about 6' long with 1/8" npt females on both ends.
Patrick Morris is offline   Reply With Quote