IH PARTS AMERICA

IH PARTS AMERICA (https://forums.ihpartsamerica.com/index.php)
-   Fuel Injection (https://forums.ihpartsamerica.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Scout II 4-cyl EFI installations (https://forums.ihpartsamerica.com/showthread.php?t=13310)

Mark Pietz 02-27-2017 06:53 PM

Scout II 4-cyl EFI installations

Bill,
it's finally time to start the dialogue. Know of any pics of an install of your kit on a Scout II w/196? I'm at a point where I need to do a serious reassessment of where I am with my project, and it revolves around your efi kit. I wish I had taken pics of John Glancy's rig at the gv show (that was a 4.3 TBI, right?). Couple of questions as I kick around some options...stock 4.3 TBI air cleaner - does that fit under the hood with your setup? What are other air cleaner options? This would be if I go n/a to get everything sorted out before returning to a turbo. I want to keep a crank fire system, so what parts are used for that...I know I need to get a new crank wheel made.

Bill USN-1 03-13-2017 01:42 PM

Re: Scout II 4-cyl EFI installations

Mark,
I have some pics of john's some where?
I'll have to look. It doesn't look any different then a carb and stock distributor.
The 4.3-5.7 throttle body are all the same. Only injector flow is different.
4.3 injectors for the 196

air cleaner base is standard 5 1/8 hole.
For johns I just swapped the 1bbl base for the IH 4bbl base.

For the dis, you can look at my 4cyl mini write up on bp.
I used the GM wasted spark dis from a 2.2 or 2.5 iirc.
The 2 coils just set on the ignition module and bolts to the engine.
Crank trigger plugs right in just like the distr pickup would.

Mark Pietz 12-12-2017 01:23 PM

Bill,
Does the air cleaner used on the 79-80 Scouts with the Thermoquad have this 5 1/8" opening, you know, will it fit this TB?

FDChappie 12-12-2017 04:36 PM

Mark I think one from a D series pickup would be what you want. You'll get the right sized hole and depending on the year you won't have all the smog stuff if not needed. It'll also be a lot easier to find.

While The D series air cleaners are very similar to the Scout ones (v8 anyway) they are taller. I'm running one on the Scout's Holley 4BBL and had to cut the neck down 3/4"s of an inch to clear the hood. I don't know if this is an issue in your application.

Mark Pietz 12-12-2017 05:09 PM

I know the D's are taller (learned that the hard way once). So the Holley 4bbl and 2300 series 2bbl (same air horn size as the 4bbl) isn't the same as the TQ? If so I'd forgo a D so I don't have to modify anything.

1975IH200 12-12-2017 06:15 PM

The Carter ThermoQuad uses the 5 1/8" diameter base opening air cleaner assembly.

Same as the Holley 4-barrel carbs and the GM QuadraJet.

Also the Holley 2300 Series 2 barrel carbs.

All are 5 1/8" diameter base opening.

Mark Pietz 12-12-2017 08:33 PM

Thank you. This is exactly the information I was hoping to find.

MrKenmore 02-23-2018 12:54 PM

With a Holley 1940 removed and the Hamilton FI plate installed and the GM TBI you are too low for an IH 5 1/8" air cleaner to be swapped over. You'll need a 3/4 inch spacer on top of the TBI to clear the water neck. The inlet for the spark arrestor also points to the driver's side when it needs to point to the passenger side. I went through the entire process of getting the IH 5 1/8" air cleaner, repainted it, flipped the spark arrester inlet to the correct direction, got the spacer, installed it......and didn't like it. I went with a Trans-Dapt 8641 raised 10" air cleaner assembly.

Mark Pietz 02-23-2018 12:57 PM

Got pix?

MrKenmore 02-23-2018 01:07 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I did make a hole to plumb in the spark arrestor line. It comes with a connection point but the OD is 5/8" and we need 1/2". I'll be doing a big write up as soon as I am finished.