IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Sewing Circle > Reader's Ride's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 02-19-2012, 03:50 PM   #1
Scooter

Member Number: 917
Default 73 beast

Well, this is the latest addition to my fleet of Scout II's. It's a 73. Origanally it was a later model year when it rolled off the manufacturing line, but I'm all good with it now for being a 73, since I dont have to deal with the ole smog crapola out here in califunkia. It does have a 345 with the auto 727 in it. It is sprung over, along with a Ford 9 inch in the rear and disk brakes and a Dana 44 front with disks. Although, who ever did the work on the front end for the SOA, did a piss poor job in the welding. The booger welds almost doesn't look safe. I won't know how bad it is until I actually pull it out, for a possible gear change to match the rear. It's also sitting on 35" shoes with a 2" body lift.

Here's a couple pics of before I got it:

Name:  camo scout.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  44.5 KB
Name:  camo scout - 2.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  58.1 KB

I will add more as I go along.
So far, here's a few of the things I've done to it in the last month since I've had it:

the small puny battery was replaced emediately with my odyssy dry cell from my rolled Scout. That was so heavy that I ended up using my over head electric hoist, just to lift it up onto the fender. I be getten to be too much of an ole fart to lifting the bolder of a battery up above my shoulders.

changed engine oil and filter.

A major tune up including plugs, wires and coil. Along with a pertronix install.

Just replaced the alternator last night. The old one was on it's last legs and barely working.
74 Scout II - Barrel Rolled - Rest in peace
72 Scout II = SOLD
51 Studebaker pickup - A non running project. Slowly in the works

Last edited by Scooter; 06-17-2017 at 07:17 AM.. Reason: adding text
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:54 PM   #2
Scooter

Default Re: 73 beast

Oooops - I just realized that I pulled a major blonde moment and put this build thread in the wrong section.

if I still drank, I would blame it on being drunk at the time. So, for now, I'm sticking with having a blondie moment
72 Scout II = SOLD
Old 02-26-2012, 02:03 PM   #3
Scooter

I forgot to mention in my first post, that before I did any of the other maintenance stuff, I had to address the gas tank issue. Issue being that when I topped off for the drive home, on the day of purchase, about a gallon or two poured out the two vent tubes on top of the front part of the tank. They were not plugged off, and one of the vent tubes was so loose that it was about to come out. Plus, the tank was being held in place by only one strap. So I swapped tanks from my barrel rolled 74 Scout that was in good condition. And I had a spare set of stock straps here on the shelf for mounting the tank. Plus, the sending unit in the old tank did not have the sock filter attached to the fuel pick up tube inside the tank. Here's the shot of before the swap:

Name:  Gas tank mounted.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  68.4 KB

Another thing I did while I was underneath the beast dealing with the tank, was to replace the transmission mount. I installed the CPT trans mount, which I robbed from my barrel rolled 74 Scout. The old mount was so rotton, that I'm surpised it held up at all. What made it even worse, is that half of the old rubber looks like old tire tread that was cut to fit

Name:  Old Trans Mount.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  59.0 KB
72 Scout II = SOLD

Last edited by Scooter; 06-17-2017 at 07:20 AM.. Reason: additing text & photo
Old 02-26-2012, 02:46 PM   #4
Scooter

Last weekend I worked on turn signal switch in the column. The wiring seemed to be original and getten fairly brittle. And the signal switch was not returning back after completing a turn. So, with parts purchased from ihon, it was all replaced and fixed. Although, while I was taking out all the old guts og signal plastic unit out of the column, these bearings were rolling out of the column onto the floor:

Name:  Bearings.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  25.1 KB

It all works like it's suposed to. And here is after installing the new parts:

Name:  signal switch & cam.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  54.8 KB
72 Scout II = SOLD

Last edited by Scooter; 06-17-2017 at 07:23 AM.. Reason: fixing photo
Old 02-26-2012, 03:11 PM   #5
Scooter

Today, since I had a change of plans, and had some spare time, I swapped steering wheels from my barrel rolled 74 Scout. Granted, both wheels are identical, but the old one was coated with bed liner. And I didn't care for it much. Not only that, I wanted to be able to utilize the grant steering wheel locking option I had readily available.

Name:  Grant - steering wheel.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  52.0 KB

And here's the installed locking unit:

Name:  Grant - Steering lock.JPG
Views: 391
Size:  141.4 KB

Steering wheel off I can put the cap on in its place to complete the lock. The way I figure it, is that this is like the best deterent in a theft of this rig. If the steering wheel is not there, how is the thief gonna drive off with my rig.
Oh - here's what it looks like when locked cap is on:

Name:  New Dash & Gauges1.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  38.3 KB
72 Scout II = SOLD

Last edited by Scooter; 06-17-2017 at 07:29 AM..
Old 03-02-2012, 03:57 PM   #6
Scooter

Well - one of the maintenance issues that go along with these old rigs that we love so much, is that I finally got around to dealing with the much neglected air cleaner. It was so bad that even the rats would run from it. I wanted to use the one I had from my 74. But it kinda melted when left over fuel from carb and fuel hoses caught fire. In the last couple weeks, I recently had to order a new element for what I wanted to use, but takes awhile to get. In the mean time, while playing the waiting game, I was able to get a new replacement paper element to get rid of the ole crapola. Finally, after using the temporary new paper element for over a week, my new element came in today. now it's time for a drive

Name:  old air filter.JPG
Views: 397
Size:  155.4 KB
Name:  old round filter cover.JPG
Views: 458
Size:  207.2 KB
Name:  Temporary air filter element.JPG
Views: 375
Size:  159.7 KB
Name:  new air filter.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  77.8 KB
Name:  new filter oval cover.JPG
Views: 394
Size:  206.1 KB
72 Scout II = SOLD

Last edited by Scooter; 06-17-2017 at 07:34 AM..
Old 03-11-2012, 10:54 AM   #7
vancetater

Member Number: 3437

Wow looks good I had just changed the oil in it a week befour u got it the tire trans mount gave me a laugh wow. Like I said all I did to this thing was get it running and paint the thing
vancetater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:11 AM   #8
Scooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancetater View Post
wow looks good I had just changed the oil in it a week befour u got it the tire trans mount gave me a laugh wow. Like I said all I did to this thing was get it running and paint the thing
Yea - when I saw the ole crap of tire tread for the trans mount, I just shook my head in amazement. That's something that the hoodlem cheap bastards in my area would do.

I had the CPT trans mount, that I purchased from ihon, in my barrel rolled Scout, and just swaped it over

the engine oil did look fresh, but I changed it anyways. Plus, I also recently changed the transmision filter and oil. The oil in the trans smelled a little burnt and the filter was just as dirty. Had a very slight matalic residue, when I pulled the pan. Looked more like band wear, which seemed almost normal
72 Scout II = SOLD
Old 03-11-2012, 11:33 AM   #9
Scooter

Yesterday, I took the time to install the hood strut kit. Easiest upgrade install known to man. Took all of 5 minutes. Compliments to Jeff once again - thank you

Name:  100_0626.JPG
Views: 428
Size:  134.1 KB
Name:  100_0629.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  17.8 KB

So much easier to lift up the hood. And ya don't even have to go to the passenger side to let the hood down
72 Scout II = SOLD

Last edited by Scooter; 06-17-2017 at 07:39 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 03-17-2012, 07:08 PM   #10
Scooter

Got started working on a shackle reversal kit yesterday. I had the kit sitting on the shelf for a couple years, that was ear marked for my 72. But that project is on hold for now, so I decided to install this kit into my current beast.

As I was tearing through it, to my suprise, one of the previous owners had installed urethane bushings in the leaf springs. Also, noticed that the front left bushing is a little chewed up from what ever happened in the past.

Name:  Bushings.JPG
Views: 386
Size:  116.3 KB

These are the front shackles I took off in order to mount the fangs for the shackle reversal

Name:  Shackle - Front Left.JPG
Views: 444
Size:  131.1 KB

After getting the fangs mounted with some good tack welds, we moved onto plasma cutting off the rear leaf spring hangers and cleaning up left over bugger welds

Name:  Andy getting ready for grinding.JPG
Views: 380
Size:  165.5 KB
Name:  Andy at the grinder.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  30.4 KB
Still need to get the proper angle for new shackles, then drill through the frame with hole saw for the sleeves that came with the kit. Then 100% welding will be done on fangs & sleeves, once they are in place.
72 Scout II = SOLD

Last edited by Scooter; 06-17-2017 at 07:47 AM.. Reason: fixing links
Old 03-17-2012, 08:37 PM   #11
vancetater

I love seeing this thing get the attention it deserves. I am glad you got it hope the po I got it from did not do to much more ghetto fabing
74 TOYOTA HILUX
84 TOYOTA PICKUP LONGBED
66 IH 1200D
62 SCOUT 80
Old 03-17-2012, 08:47 PM   #12
Scooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancetater View Post
I love seeing this thing get the attention it deserves. I am glad you got it hope the po I got it from did not do to much more ghetto fabing
Lmao - ghetto fabing you say. Check out this u-bolt spring plate on front driver side axle

Name:  Leaf spring U-bolt plate.JPG
Views: 405
Size:  221.7 KB

Plus, who ever did the welding on the leaf spring hanger on rear of front springs had some major bugger welds. Spent the last hour and a half just to grind that crap off, from both frame rails.

I will be posting more of the chit welds when I do the axle swap. Who ever did the conversion for the SOA on the front axle housing had no clue what so ever on how to weld onto cast iron. Plus, what makes matters worse, are those crappy shock mounts on the housing aren't even welded a 100%. Roughly 1" (if that) spot bugger welds
72 Scout II = SOLD

Last edited by Scooter; 06-17-2017 at 07:49 AM.. Reason: fixing a photo link
Old 03-17-2012, 09:15 PM   #13
vancetater

I noticed the shock mounts when I got it also theay look like there for a much larger axle tube like a 60 or 14 bolt lol
74 TOYOTA HILUX
84 TOYOTA PICKUP LONGBED
66 IH 1200D
62 SCOUT 80
Old 03-18-2012, 10:04 AM   #14
Scooter

While I was setting up to set the shackle angle I figured I post this shot of tires being temporarily mounted to get all the weight onto leaf springs.

Name:  100_0645.JPG
Views: 393
Size:  187.4 KB

Hopefully, by this evening, I will have holes drilled through frame and the sleeves welded in. Along with the shackles with the new bushings installed
72 Scout II = SOLD

Last edited by Scooter; 06-17-2017 at 07:52 AM.. Reason: adding text
Old 03-18-2012, 09:15 PM   #15
Erik VanRenselaar

Member Number: 602

You've got the *little* grant formula gt steering wheel (13" dia). Grant offers the same style in a 15" wheel (the #1770), which feels more like the rallye option steering wheel used on late-model Scout iis. I had a 13" grant and changed to a 15". The 13-incher felt like it shoulda been on a slammed '64 chebby impala...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
today, since I had a change of plans, and had some spare time, I swapped steering wheels from my barrel rolled 74 Scout. Granted, both wheels are identical, but the old one was coated with bed liner. And I didn't care for it much. Not only that, I wanted to be able to utilize the grant steering wheel locking option I had readily available.