IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Sewing Circle > Reader's Ride's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 02-01-2018, 06:00 PM   #196
Tahoedonner

Member Number: 2382
Default Re: Project Karma

Finally got around to tackling the back seat. It was in pretty rough shape on the outside but surprisingly in good shape underneath. I soaked the foam in my bathtub full of soap and oxy clean for a couple hours. They weighed about 70 lbs when I tried lifting them out. Had to let them partially dry in the tub before attempting to move them. Pretty sure they would’ve fallen apart from the weight. Sanded down the frame underneath and painted with rust preventative. Sanded down all the brackets and painted them with Eastwood satin chassis black. Here’s a couple pics of before and after. Not completely done yet very close.

Old ratty seat

Had to make a new back plate as the old one was beat up pretty badly.

Painted frames

Backrest. Contemplating adding more foam.

Seat pics

'79 Scout II, 345, Work in progress

Build Thread: http://www.ihpartsamerica.com/forums...ect-karma.html

'72 Scout II, no engine/trans, new from Scooter
Tahoedonner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 10:22 PM   #197
Tahoedonner

Back seat is in and looks amazing. Can't thank Jeff Jamison enough for what a great job he did on this. These aren't the best pics but I had to share due to excitement. Turns out I measured the tonneau perfectly as the back seat ends right at the tonneau lip.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3026.jpg (35.9 KB, 316 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3027.jpg (49.3 KB, 320 views)

Old 02-04-2018, 04:08 PM   #198
Scooter

Member Number: 917

Awesome
I'm in need of redoing the rear bench seat in my 72 ole yeller scout. Which I Finally was able to drive it home a couple days ago
74 Scout II - Barrel Rolled - Rest in peace
72 Scout II = SOLD
51 Studebaker pickup - A non running project. Slowly in the works
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 06:22 PM   #199
BisonFan02

Member Number: 7747

Nice work with that bench!
BisonFan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 10:19 AM   #200
MrKenmore

Member Number: 8092

I just treated myself to 14 pages of a wonderful build. Great work. You should be very proud of all your hard work.

But now I know why my local hardware store always has a low supply of grade 8 bolts.....you bought them all!!!! I too love the finish color of grade 8. I think if you did some digging, you could probably get the same finish on grade 5 and save yourself a few bucks. But at that point you would probably have to order every size to cover yourself.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:37 PM   #201
Tahoedonner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
Awesome
I'm in need of redoing the rear bench seat in my 72 ole yeller scout. Which I Finally was able to drive it home a couple days ago
Thx Scooter. Glad you’re finally getting to drive your beast.

Old 02-26-2018, 07:37 PM   #202
Tahoedonner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BisonFan02 View Post
Nice work with that bench!

Thx

Old 02-26-2018, 07:38 PM   #203
Tahoedonner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKenmore View Post
I just treated myself to 14 pages of a wonderful build. Great work. You should be very proud of all your hard work.

But now I know why my local hardware store always has a low supply of grade 8 bolts.....you bought them all!!!! I too love the finish color of grade 8. I think if you did some digging, you could probably get the same finish on grade 5 and save yourself a few bucks. But at that point you would probably have to order every size to cover yourself.
Thx. I don’t recommend looking for bolts at the Foster City Orchard Supply. They’re all in my rig.

Old 03-01-2018, 06:54 PM   #204
Tahoedonner

Spent/wasted a bunch of free time designing the door panels which are next on my list. Got 12 yards of vinyl to match the rest of the interior. Plan is to do door panels, trans cover, dash, visors, headliner and side panels.

Here's a pic of the door panel idea I'm going with. Gray stitching will just be in black. Armrest will also be black.
Attached Images

Old 04-04-2018, 07:40 PM   #205
Tahoedonner

Well it's not the most exciting post but a small amount of progress has been made. I've got Jeff Jamison doing the seam work for the new door panels and I started on the headliner. Got the board cut to size and cut the holes for the dome lights and mounting points. Also got the vinyl adhered. It'll have a week to dry before I get back to it. Haven't decided what I'm going to use for fasteners on the headliner yet.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3123.JPG (96.2 KB, 201 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender.jpg (25.8 KB, 202 views)

Old 05-24-2018, 07:43 AM   #206
Tahoedonner

As is typical with building a vehicle you start one project, headliner, and quickly realize that to wire the dome lights correctly you’ll also need to deal with the courtesy lights. While that sounds simple enough the amount of wiring that I have done for the courtesy lights and dual dome lights I’ll be using is ridiculous. I realized that I needed some “newer vehicle” style functionality from my dome lights and courtesy lights. Mainly I wanted them to shut off if I left the doors open at a tailgate. I ended up buying this neat “circuit” for about 30 bucks. It gradually brightens the lights when the doors are opened. Fades them when closed. And turns them all off if the door is left open for 10 minutes. I also needed the ability to turn the dome lights on via the headlight switch. This all requires much more wiring then one would think. You have to wire in dual ground wires for the dome lights. One ground running to headlight switch. Other ground running through courtesy light-door switch circuit that’s attached to the dimmer circuit that I bought. I also didn’t like where the original courtesy lights were mounted. The LED lights I purchased look odd hanging below the dash where you can see them. I purchased some alumium, made to tie 2x4’s together (I think), and bent them into some L brackets and attached them to what I believe is a bolt that’s attaches the dash to the body. They’re tucked up underneath away from harm. Pretty happy with how it’s all turned out. Never thought a couple lights would require so much thought and a post as long as this.

Circuit

Bent up bracket

Putting out good light