IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Sewing Circle > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 11-29-2016, 09:17 PM   #376
xixrebos

Member Number: 8482
Default Re: New Members please check in here

a 1977 traveler caught my eye about six months ago and despite a transmission rebuild, it makes me smile just looking at it. anyone have any suggestions on best place to start a thread about shipping it to ca from tx and getting it registered? thanks!
xixrebos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 05:05 PM   #377
Robert Kenney
IHPA Tech Moderator

Member Number: 543

fyi any vehicle 1976 and newer will require passing the model and year smog test. you need to know if the texas traveler was federal emissions or 50 state/california equipped. if federal you will need to install all applicable equipment.
likely that will be a minimum:
air injection pump and plumbing.
egr fitted intake manifold and controls.
spark advance delay system.

there are a lot of pieces that you will need that can be sourced should it become necessary. we can deliberate further after that decision is made.

the titling process is simple. it in tales a signed texas title, bill of sale or statement of fact if the title is missing. you will then need to get the truck vin verified, either at the aaa, chp or dmv referee.

People preach " Don't over think life, just go where it takes you". But I can't help but think of the Wise Ancient Mariner who looks toward the horizon for any sign of storm clouds.
Robert Kenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 02:39 PM   #378
1976BigYellow

Member Number: 8486

been visiting the site for a few years... thought it time to join. i learned to drive on dad's '76 scout back when it was still new. bought my own '76 here in arizona about a dozen years ago.
1976BigYellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 10:09 PM   #379
scouttoo

Member Number: 342

regarding xixrebos 77 traveler, federal vs ca oe emissions equipment. unless things have changed recently, you are not required to add ca emissions equipment to a fed emissions vehicle. it has to have the emissions equipment that it came with in working order and pass the fed requirements. hey robert, has ca changed the requirements? ca used to charge a "smog impact fee" when you brought a fed emissions vehicle into the state. it was later ruled unconstitutional and the fees were refunded. that was the case with my 76 scout (federal emissions) that i bought in reno when i lived in truckee.
Old 01-01-2017, 06:05 PM   #380
Mark Stevens

Member Number: 8514

been looking for carb fixes on this site for a few days.i'm building a 55 r100 with a 350 and a 400 turbo, also have a 53 l100 for a later project and i just got a 63 c1100 that looks pretty good, but has carb issues! daily driver is a 63 impala or a 55 pontiac wagon!
Mark Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 04:40 PM   #381
FDChappie

Member Number: 3742

why don't you start a new thread in the carb tech section and tell us about what carb ic on the c1100 and what the issues are.
FDChappie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 05:25 AM   #382
meisterj

Member Number: 8515

new member. dad had three scout iis in the 70's that i grew up with, the last was an '80 turbo diesel. in oct i purchased a '74 sii (345, 727, 4x4) to fix up with my 16 yo son, for him (and me) to drive. these forums have been very helpful.
meisterj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 12:07 PM   #383
wareaglefan2

Member Number: 8524

wareaglefan2 checking in.
wife, daughter and son-in-law gave me a 1973 ih 1010 pickup for retirement gift for me to piddle with. just learning about the truck. i do know it has a 304 cdi. not sure of the transmission. vehicle is a one owner. runs good. drives well. original mileage is 50k. body is in ok condition with some rusting. have no intent to take it back to the original om but do want to get it in good shape. any ideas you may have will ne welcomed.
wareaglefan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 02:02 PM   #384
Scoutboy74

Member Number: 453

welcome to the forum, wareagle! what a thoughtful and unique retirement gift. starting off with a decent driver puts you on better footing than most beginners. good pictures inside and out from stem to stern are always encouraged. its much easier to provide germane feedback that way. one of the best investments any binder owner can make is to get their hands on a factory service manual for their particular model. they're available from ih parts, the vendor who owns and maintains this forum.

http://www.ihpartsamerica.com/store/slcts-2303.html

the documentation they contain was originally intended for consumption by trained ih service techs, not joe shadetree, so they take a little getting used to, but they are a wealth of information.
this forum is also a wealth of information, as most of the issues you are likely to encounter have probably been faced by someone else before you many times over. so you can certainly self-educate through browsing and searching through pertinent thread topics. then, if you reach a point where you still have a specific question about something that you just can't find a satisfactory answer to, by all means, start your own new thread under the most applicable sub-heading within the tech forum and we'll try to guide you as best as we can. good luck and have fun with your new toy.

Coal Trickle - '99 Dodge Ram 2500 Q-Cab SWB 4x4 - 5.9L 24V CTD/NV4500
Hooty - '74 SII - 392/TF727/D20/3.73 D44's/Spartan FA/Krac-lok RA/RC 4" SUA/34x10.5 TSLs/33g Fuel/HFT 8k winch
Mongo - '71 1210 Std Cab 2WD - 345/TF727/RA17 D60 4.10 Trac-lok - "Mongo love candy! Duh, huh, huh!"
Scoutboy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 05:08 PM   #385
wareaglefan2

Member Number: 8524

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutboy74 View Post
welcome to the forum, wareagle! what a thoughtful and unique retirement gift. starting off with a decent driver puts you on better footing than most beginners. good pictures inside and out from stem to stern are always encouraged. its much easier to provide germane feedback that way. one of the best investments any binder owner can make is to get their hands on a factory service manual for their particular model. they're available from ih parts, the vendor who owns and maintains this forum.

http://www.ihpartsamerica.com/store/slcts-2303.html

the documentation they contain was originally intended for consumption by trained ih service techs, not joe shadetree, so they take a little getting used to, but they are a wealth of information.
this forum is also a wealth of information, as most of the issues you are likely to encounter have probably been faced by someone else before you many times over. so you can certainly self-educate through browsing and searching through pertinent thread topics. then, if you reach a point where you still have a specific question about something that you just can't find a satisfactory answer to, by all means, start your own new thread under the most applicable sub-heading within the tech forum and we'll try to guide you as best as we can. good luck and have fun with your new toy.
scoutboy74, thank you for your post. i did order the service manual as i am sure this will answer many of my questions.
wareaglefan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 09:04 AM   #386
scout II

Member Number: 8681

Hi there. I have been looking through here for a while and just signed up today. I have a 1980 Scout Traveler that I am about to get back on the road.
scout II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 06:54 PM   #387
joanab03

Member Number: 8718

Hi everyone! I had my first Scout II as a senior in high school. I've been in love with these trucks ever since. I recently bought a 1974 Scout II and it's in pretty great shape. I live in the Bay Area and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a shop in the area? I don't want to just bring it to any old shop if in case I need to.
joanab03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 06:31 AM   #388
ihpartsjeff
Administrator & Owner

Member Number: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanab03 View Post
Hi everyone! I had my first Scout II as a senior in high school. I've been in love with these trucks ever since. I recently bought a 1974 Scout II and it's in pretty great shape. I live in the Bay Area and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a shop in the area? I don't want to just bring it to any old shop if in case I need to.
We are 2-3 hours away from the Bay area and service many customers IH trucks and Scout's from your area. Let us know if you would like to schedule an appointment with our service department by calling 530-274-1795.

Jeff Ismail
IH Parts America - Owner
IH Sierra Fall Rallye Event Coordinator
CPT - Crawler Proven Technology
(530)274-1795
ihpartsjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 11:05 AM   #389
joanab03

Member Number: 8718

Thanks Jeff! I'm keepin IH parts in mind. I just wanted to know if there was anyplace a little bit closer.
joanab03 is offline   Reply With Quote