IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Classifieds > IH Vehicles For SALE
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 04-28-2016, 07:18 PM   #1
Lou

Member Number: 28
Default 1975 Scout II XLC

For sale again... Hardly used since I bought it from Lou.. Asking $16k. Been garaged whole time I've had it.. Selling due to health - SEE POST #9

To the man with green in his hand.. Happy trails.
1975 Scout xlc, two owners, $16,000.00.
1975 IH Scout II, XLC for sale, Sacramento, CA

Where to begin. In 1980 I determined that I wanted a Scout. I found this 1975 for sale by the original owner through a friends IH dealership in Woodland, California. It came stock with the 345, dual exhaust, Torque Flite automatic, Dana 44 f/r, trailer wire, ac, bucket seats, console and power steering. In the ensuing 36 years it has been modified, maintained, improved, driven, enjoyed, shown, and cussed at, but never abused or neglected. My daughter came home from the hospital in this truck when she was born 30 years ago. It had some 60,000 miles when purchased and at present sits at 201,000 miles. Oil and filter were changed around every 3,500 miles. As zinc and phosphorus were removed from most oils I ran Shell Rotella and now run Brad Penn. I will list and describe as many of the changes and improvements as I can but understand that what I’m selling is sound and very well sorted out and very recently crossed the black rock desert in Nevada with no drama.

Engine: 345 gas, no CA smog required. The carburetor is a Holley 2300 with vent whistle, jet extensions and manual choke. Ignition is a Holley point type distributor with a Pertronix Ignitor kit. Parts include a new Pertronix unit and point set for emergency repair.

Transmission: installed A1 Gear 4 pinion planetary to reduce first gear from 2:48:1 to 2:77:1. Installed Mopar deep steel pan with temperature gauge bung welded in.

Transfer case: Dana 20 with Tera Low kit. Dropped low range from 2.00:1 to 3:15:1. Single stick does not pop out or rattle. It sits on an RPT mount. With the gear changes in transmission and transfer case the stock crawl ratio was changed from 15:1 to 30:1. The engine turns about 2800 rpm at 65 mph.

Axles: stock was 3.08:1 with Trac-loc in the rear. Installed Detroit E-lockers f&r, with 3.54:1 ring and pinion. The switches to operate the differentials are in the dash. When open they are Truetracs. Axle bearing retainer plates are RPT 3/16” thick. The IH Lock-O-Matic hubs were recently replaced with Warn premium hubs. An add-a-leaf kit gives 1-1/2” lift. Braced and extended IH Parts America shackles are front and rear. Installed a straight steer and steel frame plate to reinforce the steering box mount. Replaced factory steering joints with Borgeson joints. It sits on BFG All Terrain radials, 31x10.50-15” with good tread. The spare is inside, is new and has never been used. Wheel cover over spare includes a gold pan in case you want to get rich.

Cooling: a Derale rigid six blade steel fan is driven directly from the water pump with no clutch. The radiator is aluminum, 2-1” cores and it has a transmission cooler inside. In front of the radiator is a Derale stacked plate cooler plumbed directly to the transmission through a Derale thermostat that opens at 170*. Trans cooling bypasses the radiator but if need be, the radiator transmission cooler can be easily re-connected to the trans.

Body: the rear quarter panels, end caps, windshield and frame, rockers and roll bar were replaced by IH Parts America. The floor is stock steel with a sheet of plywood covering. An IH labeled (yes) high lift jack mounts to the roll bar and does not interfere with use of the back seat. The front seats have been repadded and covered. A Valley tow right class 3 hitch is bolted to the frame rails. The rear bumper is 4” channel steel cut to fit and carry the 7 wire trailer socket. Factory body pucks were replaced with urethane, body mounts in excellent condition. Gas struts control the lift gate.

Electrics: custom gauge panel above rear view mirror includes water temp, oil pressure and vacuum, all Stewart Warner mechanicals. Gauge panel also includes toggle switches for back-up lights, rear window de-fog fan and one spare. Mounted to the a-pillar is an Autometer 5,000 rpm tachometer. In the dash plate are Autometer gauges for fuel, transmission temperature and voltage, all electrical. Includes Pioneer cd player with usb port and remote. The speakers are in the lower corners of the doors and in the sail panels near the lift gate. Installed Round Eye headlights wired through Bosch relays directly to battery voltage. A firewall mounted remote starter solenoid controls the starter motor with no hot start issues. Wired for electric trailer brakes, control unit included. Wired 12 volt fused socket to panel above spare tire. I run an Engle freezer there, not included. The factory Ammeter gauge and wiring was removed and replaced with a voltage gauge using a kit from Mad Electrical. A separate fuse panel is on the console to protect the e-lockers and 12 volt circuit to the rear. The problematic IH electrical bulkhead connector was replaced with a West Marine barrier strip. All the wiring that was changed is documented with custom schematics that interface with the stock IH factory schematic. Includes a Cobra cb radio with built in NOAA weather band on a controlled circuit. The Optima yellow top battery is less than a year old.

Air conditioning: the factory R-12 system was replaced with an R-134a kit from Arizona Mobile Air with a Seltec/Tama compressor. It was recently recharged and blows cold. When the roof was off for the roll bar and rust repair I installed insulation to better control comfort and noise.

Parts and documentation: 20mm ammunition box and under the seats contains alternator, water pump, throttle cable, full set of belts, full set of hoses, trailer wire adapter, all custom schematics, installation and instruction manuals and related parts. I have the purchase invoice and owner’s manual from 1974 when it was bought new from Riverview International in West Sacramento, California. Also includes a factory shop manual and parts manual along with many years of IH Scout and related articles and a box of related parts and items. Includes a collection of maintenance records, receipts and invoices. I built a roof rack that clamps to the roof gutters that carries two 5 gallon water containers and two 6 gallon, pre-carb gasoline containers.

This is a garaged California truck in Sunburst yellow. It is a working truck that has proven to be reliable and easy to work on. It has on occasion won an award or two and it always draws attention and compliments. This is a safe and fun truck with none of the “prior owner” issues that seem to plague some Scouts. I’m only the second owner.
A changing life style has convinced my wife and me that it’s perhaps time to move on and let some other worthy party enjoy this timeless piece of Fort Wayne iron. Understand that there is no financial need driving this decision, I’m not interested in trades or selling anything piecemeal as this is a package deal. I’ve had great help and insight from many friends in building this truck over the last 30 some years including Mike Mayben, Jeff Ismail, Doc Stewart and many others. Thanks for looking and call to discuss if you like. Lou 916-XXX-XXXX.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0120.jpg (57.9 KB, 859 views)
File Type: jpg Roof rack.jpg (86.9 KB, 561 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5824.jpg (58.9 KB, 589 views)
File Type: jpg Fan 002.jpg (97.0 KB, 508 views)

Proud Member of the New York City Central Park Grey Wolf Recovery Program

Last edited by ihpartsjeff; 03-09-2018 at 07:04 AM..
Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 05:53 PM   #2
Mark Pietz

Member Number: 2143
Default Re: 1975 Scout II XLC, $14,550.00

Lou, sorry to hear you're selling this nice rig. Btw, what width rims are you running? 15x8 or 15x7s?
Mark Pietz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 06:55 PM   #3
Lou

Mark, I"m sure they were 15x8.

Old 05-08-2016, 10:29 AM   #4
Scooter

Member Number: 917

They looked like 15x8 to me when I saw it the other night. My good friend steve stopped by my place on his way home from sac that night. He lives a few miles from me. It will be well taken care of. He is pretty anal when it comes to taking care of his vehicles. Steve is happy and it is easier for him to get in and out of this Scout than before in his previous Scout.
74 Scout II - Barrel Rolled - Rest in peace
72 Scout II = SOLD
51 Studebaker pickup - A non running project. Slowly in the works
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 12:37 PM   #5
Lou

Thanks scooter, in the talking steve and I did over the last few days I was convinced that he was the perfect new owner for my Scout. I have photos of much of what I did over the last 35 years and am always available for a call.
Attached Images

Old 05-09-2016, 06:00 AM   #6
ihpartsjeff
Administrator & Owner

Member Number: 1

Very happy to find out you found a wonderful owner for your Scout Lou. Definitely Steve will take great care of it.

Jeff Ismail
IH Parts America - Owner
IH Sierra Fall Rallye Event Coordinator
Binder Books
CPT - Crawler Proven Technology
(530)274-1795

Last edited by ihpartsjeff; 03-09-2018 at 07:05 AM..
ihpartsjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:12 AM   #7
Lou

Thanks Jeff, it turned out to be a good fit for all.

Old 05-09-2016, 02:01 PM   #8
Erik VanRenselaar

Member Number: 602

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihpartsjeff View Post
very happy to find out you found a wonderful owner for your Scout lou. Definitely steve will take great care of it.
Yes... With a bit of my assistance, too! :d
Old 02-05-2018, 02:53 PM   #9
Rusty Scout

Member Number: 644

For sale again... Hardly used since I bought it from Lou.. Asking $16k. Been garaged whole time I've had it.. Selling due to health
Rusty Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 02:03 PM   #10
wdm3000

Member Number: 9162

Is this scout still for sale or sold again?
wdm3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 07:36 PM   #11
Rusty Scout

Member Number: 644

Still for sale
Rusty Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 08:19 AM   #12
Guards964

Member Number: 9003

PM sent