IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Tool Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 12-02-2012, 04:45 PM   #1
snoman

Member Number: 5225
Question sand blaster

Can anyone recommend a good inexpensive sand blaster. I have been looking at some reviews on line but most are poor. I have heard the pressurized pots are better than the siphon feed
Old 12-02-2012, 05:43 PM   #2
FDChappie

Member Number: 3742
Default Re: sand blaster

Can you tell us more about your intended use. I have a hf pressurized one and it works ok for small jobs if you have enough air. Also your air needs to be very dry and the sand needs to be dry too. Usually good and inexpensive don't go together.

I also have a nice big pressure washer that was given to me. It seems sandblaster attachments are available for them too. That should keep the dust out of the air and keep the parts cool to prevent warping.
FDChappie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:27 PM   #3
snoman

Member Number: 5225

Just starting a restore on truck in sig. I have a cabinet unit but cant fit anything more then 2x2 or so. I have heard of “wet sand blasters” but don’t know anything about them. I will check out the hf one. I got plenty of air just had some concerns about clogging.
Thanks
Old 12-02-2012, 06:58 PM   #4
Pascoscout

Member Number: 3061

My hf one works fine but I have 3 in line filters between it and the compressor to keep the air dry. Before I added them it would clog up all the time. This is probably true of even the more pricy systems as they pretty much work the same.

Never heard of the wet sand blaster, got a pressure washer too so gonna have to look into that.
Pascoscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:47 AM   #5
FDChappie

The hf unit I have clogged the first time I tried it too. After some research on-line, the bottom fitting was modified with a countersink to add some taper to guide the sand into the fitting. It only clogged once and was easily cleared on my project with the top. Even with 2 air compressors ganged together I didn't have enough air to blast for more than 5 min.

Last edited by FDChappie; 12-03-2012 at 09:54 AM..
Old 12-09-2012, 01:06 PM   #6
DocG

Member Number: 5287

Agree with every thing said above, especially about having enough air. The best sand blaster in the world wont be any good without a very high working air pressure. After sending my tub and frame to two sand blasters, I had to finish it myself. The small gravity feed ones work ok for small parts and are very frugal with sand. The pressure pot works much better for big jobs, but hog the sand. I was very luck to have a good source of high quality blasting sand nearby but I still had to sift it as my worse trouble was clogs from debris (larger stones, cigarette buts). I found out why paying to have it done is so expensive, its worth it because it sucks and uses a lot of sand. I went through over 1000lbs to do the underside of my 80 on a rotisserie.
DocG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:46 PM   #7
FDChappie

I used to work at a place with a big industrial sand blaster shop you could pull a semi truck into. It had drains in the floor for the sand which was cleaned and recycled.