IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Sewing Circle > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 03-14-2018, 08:27 AM   #406
Guards964

Member Number: 9003
Default Re: New Members please check in here

Hello Scout enthusiasts! I found the forum while I've been on my search for my Scout. I've been looking for about an year at this point and have been lurking in the background on the forum for way too long so it's time to say hi.

Hopefully I can find my Scout soon so I can join in the project conversations, but in the meantime keep the information flowing. This site has been a great resource as I have been looking and driving different scouts in my search.

Thanks

Scott
Guards964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 03:06 PM   #407
baley69

Member Number: 9219

Hey everyone, first time poster second time Scout owner. My name is Andy and I'm from Salem, Oregon. In highschool I had a 72 Scout II that I had to get rid of because the money well dried up... Last month I picked up a 77 Scout Terra with a 4 speed and a 304. I'm in with this one for the long haul so I'm going to be doing a complete rebuild over many many years, so my first question would be about brakes.

The current stock brakes are a little spongy, and the power steering pump is very noisy. I have been looking into the Hydroboost which I understand would take care of both issues, but any suggestions would be appreciated. I have no plans of lifting or going larger tires, but I would tow a dump trailer (small) from time to time, but like I said I'm going to own this thing forever.

Anyhow, thank you in advance and I look forward to the journey with all of you!

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1.jpg (48.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0244.jpg (67.9 KB, 24 views)
baley69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 07:38 AM   #408
Scoutboy74

Member Number: 453

Quote:
Originally Posted by baley69 View Post
Hey everyone, first time poster second time Scout owner. My name is Andy and I'm from Salem, Oregon. In highschool I had a 72 Scout II that I had to get rid of because the money well dried up... Last month I picked up a 77 Scout Terra with a 4 speed and a 304. I'm in with this one for the long haul so I'm going to be doing a complete rebuild over many many years, so my first question would be about brakes.

The current stock brakes are a little spongy, and the power steering pump is very noisy. I have been looking into the Hydroboost which I understand would take care of both issues, but any suggestions would be appreciated. I have no plans of lifting or going larger tires, but I would tow a dump trailer (small) from time to time, but like I said I'm going to own this thing forever.

Anyhow, thank you in advance and I look forward to the journey with all of you!

Andy
Welcome Andy. This is not to dissuade you from going the hydro-boost route. If something is wrong with your power steering pump, replacements are common and easy to change out. That's after the fluid level has first been checked. As for your brakes, the hydraulic system needs to be entirely leak free at all points. The wheel cylinders at the rear drums are common leak points when subjected to neglect and abuse. Master cylinders can fail over time. It might just be a case of your system needing to be purged of residual air. What I'm getting at in a general way, is that I think you should first spend some time scratching beneath the surface of each of your mentioned problem areas to see if you can determine what the actual issue might be. I think a hydro-boost modification would serve you better if you had your existing brake and steering systems working as intended first rather than applying it in band-aid fashion. That's only my opinion. I've not performed that modification on any of my vehicles, so take it for what its worth.

Coal Trickle - '99 Dodge Ram 2500 Q-Cab SWB 4x4 - 5.9L 24V CTD/NV4500
Hooty - '74 SII - 392/TF727/D20/3.73 D44's/Spartan FA/Krac-lok RA/RC 4" SUA/34x10.5 TSLs/33g Fuel/HFT 8k winch
Mongo - '71 1210 Std Cab 2WD - 345/TF727/RA17 D60 4.10 Trac-lok - "Mongo love candy! Duh, huh, huh!"
Scoutboy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 11:26 AM   #409
baley69

Member Number: 9219

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutboy74 View Post
Welcome Andy. This is not to dissuade you from going the hydro-boost route. If something is wrong with your power steering pump, replacements are common and easy to change out. That's after the fluid level has first been checked. As for your brakes, the hydraulic system needs to be entirely leak free at all points. The wheel cylinders at the rear drums are common leak points when subjected to neglect and abuse. Master cylinders can fail over time. It might just be a case of your system needing to be purged of residual air. What I'm getting at in a general way, is that I think you should first spend some time scratching beneath the surface of each of your mentioned problem areas to see if you can determine what the actual issue might be. I think a hydro-boost modification would serve you better if you had your existing brake and steering systems working as intended first rather than applying it in band-aid fashion. That's only my opinion. I've not performed that modification on any of my vehicles, so take it for what its worth.
Thank you, and thats a good point! My system works fine (for a 77) I'm just thinking ahead looking at my existing master looking rough and my power steering pump being so noisy. I definitely do not want to just throw money at it, but I do want to restore this to be a reliable driver.
baley69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 09:35 PM   #410
rockymountain

Member Number: 9239

Howdy,
My name is Randy and I知 located in Pagosa Springs Colorado. I picked up a 1969 800A with a 304 a few weeks ago. I replaced plugs, wires, condensor, and points. Got it running and it cut off on me a mile from my house. Nothing electrical will turn on. The wires i can see look pretty rotted. I知 thinking of installing a kwikwire harness.... Brings me to my first official question, where do most people mount the fuze block? I知 hesitent to mount a fuze block that isnt waterproof in the engine bay.

Oh, had a 77 travler a few years back with affordable EFI. Got rid of it when i needed money for school.

Thanks,
Randy
rockymountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 07:37 AM   #411
Scoutboy74

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountain View Post
Howdy,
My name is Randy and I’m located in Pagosa Springs Colorado. I picked up a 1969 800A with a 304 a few weeks ago. I replaced plugs, wires, condensor, and points. Got it running and it cut off on me a mile from my house. Nothing electrical will turn on. The wires i can see look pretty rotted. I’m thinking of installing a kwikwire harness.... Brings me to my first official question, where do most people mount the fuze block? I’m hesitent to mount a fuze block that isnt waterproof in the engine bay.

Oh, had a 77 travler a few years back with affordable EFI. Got rid of it when i needed money for school.

Thanks,
Randy
Welcome Randy. Are you planning a lot of deep water fording? You're pretty much limited to somewhere under the dash or under the hood. In the meantime, you can pretty easily trace out your voltage path from the battery into the cabin with a cheap incandescent probe light with alligator clip ground. You must make sure that your battery is fully charged first. Don't bother diagnosing electrical issues if there is any doubt about the condition of your battery. The first junction downstream from the battery is at the large terminal of the starter solenoid. If you get a light there, then the next junction is at the firewall bulkhead connector. Just keep tracing and probing from there until you find the point where the probe light doesn't come on. There's your fault.

Hooty - '74 SII - 392/TF727/D20/3.73 D44's/Spartan FA/Krac-lok RA/RC 4" SUA/34x10.5 TSLs/33g Fuel/HFT 8k winch
Mongo - '71 1210 Std Cab 2WD - 345/TF727/RA17 D60 4.10 Trac-lok - "Mongo love candy! Duh, huh, huh!"
Old 05-06-2018, 09:37 AM   #412
Scooter

Member Number: 917

Quote:
I知 thinking of installing a kwikwire harness.... Brings me to my first official question, where do most people mount the fuze block? I知 hesitent to mount a fuze block that isnt waterproof in the engine bay.

Thanks,
Randy
Welcome Randy
I recently rewired my own '72 scout II and, also, helped a fireman friend rewire his '69 scout 800. Both kwikwire kits, had the fuse block mounted on driver side under the dash
My own '72
Name:  20180506_101714.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  46.8 KB

Friends 800
Name:  20160804_124509.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  48.8 KB
The photo somehow got rotated. The old rubber boot is where steering column goes into. The funk empty hole right above the fuse block, was old wiring bulkhead connector, which I used to mount a rubber grommet in order to route the wires for engine compartment, headlights and taillights.
74 Scout II - Barrel Rolled - Rest in peace
72 Scout II = SOLD
51 Studebaker pickup - A non running project. Slowly in the works
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 03:34 PM   #413
Miiller06

Member Number: 9240

Hey Y’all. I am starting on a 1976 International Pickup and just trying to get it running. Not doing anything fancy to it , just want to use it as a farm truck/off road vehicle.
Right now just trying to see if it will crank, which it only clicks and nothing else. The click sounds like it is coming from the starter but I am unsure since I am on the driver side and don’t have someone to verify.

Last edited by Miiller06; 05-06-2018 at 03:39 PM..
Miiller06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 03:48 PM   #414
rockymountain

Member Number: 9239

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
Welcome Randy
I recently rewired my own '72 scout II and, also, helped a fireman friend rewire his '69 scout 800. Both kwikwire kits, had the fuse block mounted on driver side under the dash
My own '72
Attachment 32141

Friends 800
Attachment 32142
The photo somehow got rotated. The old rubber boot is where steering column goes into. The funk empty hole right above the fuse block, was old wiring bulkhead connector, which I used to mount a rubber grommet in order to route the wires for engine compartment, headlights and taillights.
Thanks for the info on the fuze block install. On your friends 800 did everthing fit up under the clutch? There isnt as much realestate under the dash on this 800 as I remember on my travler.
rockymountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 05:08 PM   #415
Scooter

Quote:
Thanks for the info on the fuze block install. On your friends 800 did everthing fit up under the clutch? There isnt as much realestate under the dash on this 800 as I remember on my travler.
On the fuse block install in my friends 800, it's mounted on the side of the transmission tunnel, just under that one hole where one of the OEM bulkhead connectors used to be. That photo, I posted earlier, was rotated somehow when I posted it.
I was trying to upload another photo, but my toy phone is being slow
72 Scout II = SOLD
Old 05-06-2018, 05:14 PM   #416
Scooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miiller06 View Post
Hey Y誕ll. I am starting on a 1976 International Pickup and just trying to get it running. Not doing anything fancy to it , just want to use it as a farm truck/off road vehicle.
Right now just trying to see if it will crank, which it only clicks and nothing else. The click sounds like it is coming from the starter but I am unsure since I am on the driver side and don稚 have someone to verify.
Welcome

By the sound of it, one possible culprit is a low battery. Verify the condition of the battery. I been able to get a jump start when not enough juice was available to crank over the engine
72 Scout II = SOLD
Old 05-06-2018, 05:45 PM   #417
Miiller06

Member Number: 9240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
Welcome

By the sound of it, one possible culprit is a low battery. Verify the condition of the battery. I been able to get a jump start when not enough juice was available to crank over the engine

Yes a dead battery but I did try to jump start it and that is when the clicking started.
Miiller06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 03:42 PM   #418
Scoutboy74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miiller06 View Post
Yes a dead battery but I did try to jump start it and that is when the clicking started.
Might be too far gone to take a jump. I'd trickle charge over a period of time if it will accept that. If not, the battery is likely shot and will need to be replaced. You could have it load tested to be sure.

And just so this check in thread doesn't get sucked too far down the tech rabbit hole, you guys ought to start new threads under the appropriate tech subject headings if you have additional questions.

Old 05-24-2018, 02:10 PM   #419
Gunfighter97

Member Number: 9260

Howdy, just joined and spotted this, now here i am checking in. Hope to find some info on my vintage ih i accuired a while back, and do some work on it.

1965 IH D11004x4 "Shermanator"
1946 Dodge Job Rated half ton (my baby)
1973 Fiat 850 Spider "because why not?"
Half of a 1958 Apache found on roadside dead
Numerous resurrected lawnmowers(same roadside)

The imminent future of California:
"We don't let our enemies have guns, why would we let them have ideas?" -Stalin
----------------------------God help us all----------------------------------
Gunfighter97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 06:59 AM   #420
Rob Gojkovich

Member Number: 1685

Comrade there are plenty of us behind the Iron Curtain
Rob Gojkovich is offline   Reply With Quote