IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Gas Engine Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 03-22-2018, 11:04 AM   #1
BrokeGunner

Member Number: 8934
Default Q: regarding fuel pump choices on 800B 304

Hey Guys, I am trying to confirm my decision to go with a non-vacuum fuel pump on my '71 800B w/304.

The PO installed a cheap electric pump next to the passenger motor mount so I currently have no vacuum wipers. I prefer mechanical pumps, so I already purchased a replacement Carter pump and I am ready to bolt it on.

All this rain is now causing me to re-evaluate my decision... and try to check all possibilities before I install this pump. I searched the board and found some info on the Airtex 1117 but the only one I can find is on ebay for $70 after shipping... still seems like a bargain but there is no warranty, so are these rebuildable and if so are the kits available?

I see IHPA has one in stock for $250 plus $100 for a core (which I don't have) so it seems like a lot of money to get these wipers working when I could have a mechanical pump in there for $40.

I am considering switching to electric wipers next year, but I have never had to remove an entire dash out of an 800 and it seems challenging. Can anyone comment on the difficulty level of removing the dash enough to access the wiper motors?

I have not tried hooking the wipers up to the engine vacuum and that is my last question- will it effect the engine idle or performance? I'm talking hooking it up straight to the motor with no vacuum fuel pump at all. I realize the wipers would stop when I am on the throttle, but I could deal with that.
Seems like I am always chasing vacuum leaks in my vehicles and I hate the thought of adding another way for it to leak

Thanks!!

1) Running - 1967 800 w/196E named the "Orange & Vanilla"
2) Parts - 1969 800A w/196 named "the purple one"
3) Running - 1971 800B Comanche 304/4sp
4) Frame & Tub - 1971 800B donor for Comanche
BrokeGunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 11:41 AM   #2
Greg R

Member Number: 527
Default Re: Q: regarding fuel pump choices on 800B 304

You can still get rebuild kits from Then & Now Automotive for the Airtex 1117 pump. A recent price inquiry showed $69 and you get everything including valves and springs. Not bad since I paid $135 for a new pump over 10 years ago. I think the complete pump is very rare now if at all.

Wiper motor access is very difficult. I had to pull the dash back to get enough clearance plus the radio and glove box had to come out so as to be able to manipulate the wipers into position.

All vacuum comes from the engine whether or not you use the fuel/vacuum pump. The intake is the main source and the fuel/vacuum pump is just a booster for high engine loads when manifold vacuum is low. I have not experienced any decrease in engine performance with the vacuum wipers working. The switches always seem to leak a very slight amount, but dialing in the carburetor with or without them doesn't seem to make any noticeable difference.
Greg R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 09:00 PM   #3
BrokeGunner

Member Number: 8934

Well I went back on Ebay and made a deal on the pump I saw posted there. I received the box a few days ago and to my surprise it held 2 brand new Airtex 1117 pumps in the original boxes!! It took me a little work to get the fittings to match up as they are 1/8" pipe on the new pump and that's not what I had before.

I bought 6 feet of vacuum line as well and plumbed it up to my wipers... so for the first time I have working windshield wipers!!!

All I have is this photo from the underside. Truck is running great now.
Attached Images

1) Running - 1967 800 w/196E named the "Orange & Vanilla"
2) Parts - 1969 800A w/196 named "the purple one"
3) Running - 1971 800B Comanche 304/4sp
4) Frame & Tub - 1971 800B donor for Comanche
BrokeGunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 11:50 PM   #4
Greg R

Member Number: 527

impressive!!
Greg R is offline   Reply With Quote