IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Engine Cooling & Mobile HVAC Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 05-25-2017, 10:33 PM   #1
OSUBEAVER

Member Number: 3315
Default Water Pump Gasket

Hey team,

My usually garaged Scout II (1979 345, and dont worry I drive it, it just so happens to have a spot in the garge) spent a cold night out a while ago (it's lucky and spends most of its nights in a warm garage). Temperatures got around 15 degrees. Next morning I have a leak from the water pump area. I finally order a new water pump and gasket from IH Parts America. I do the install, however I made the leak worse. I'm about to take it apart and try again, but wanted some advice. I'm thinking about using liquid gasket this time? I made sure before installing the new gasket and pump that everything was smooth and clean, so I was very upset when the repair didn't work. What does everyone suggest for this? How can I keep this new pump from leaking?
OSUBEAVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 06:55 AM   #2
ihpartsjeff
Administrator & Owner

Member Number: 1
Default Re: Water Pump Gasket

Where is it exactly leaking from? The waterpump, waterpump mounting gasket or the waterpump tube to cylinder head orings?

Jeff Ismail
IH Parts America - Owner
IH Sierra Fall Rallye Event Coordinator
Binder Books
CPT - Crawler Proven Technology
(530)274-1795
ihpartsjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 09:30 AM   #3
OSUBEAVER

Hey Jeff,

I can't tell where its leaking from. It's nearly impossible to tell, the best I can see is water leaking from the very bottom of the pump. My best guess is the waterpump mounting gasket.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:08 PM   #4
Scoutboy74

Member Number: 453

Did you install the gasket dry or did you slather some type of goop along with it? A very thin, even application of a product like Coppercoat, Gaskacinch, or Right Stuff to keep the gasket in place is fine, but too much isn't good. How about bolt torque? Did you get the WP bolts torqued to factory spec?

Going back to your original motivation for replacing the pump in the first place, a leak following a sub-freezing night parked outside, I don't think I would have rushed to the same judgement as you that an otherwise functional WP went suddenly haywire overnight simply because the rig spent a night out in the cold. I'd need to see and possibly even hear more signs that the WP was faulty before I went there. I also find it highly unlikely that you would have gotten a faulty replacement pump. I think it more likely that neither the new pump nor the prior pump are the actual source of the leak. Another possibility is a casting crack in your WP housing particularly near where the bolts holes are as that is where the casting is the thinnest.

Coal Trickle - '99 Dodge Ram 2500 Q-Cab SWB 4x4 - 5.9L 24V CTD/NV4500
Hooty - '74 SII - 392/TF727/D20/3.73 D44's/Spartan FA/Krac-lok RA/RC 4" SUA/34x10.5 TSLs/33g Fuel/HFT 8k winch
Mongo - '71 1210 Std Cab 2WD - 345/TF727/RA17 D60 4.10 Trac-lok - "Mongo love candy! Duh, huh, huh!"
Scoutboy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 12:50 PM   #5
Mark Pietz

Member Number: 2143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutboy74 View Post
Did you install the gasket dry or did you slather some type of goop along with it? A very thin, even application of a product like Coppercoat, Gaskacinch, or Right Stuff to keep the gasket in place is fine, but too much isn't good. How about bolt torque? Did you get the WP bolts torqued to factory spec?

Going back to your original motivation for replacing the pump in the first place, a leak following a sub-freezing night parked outside, I don't think I would have rushed to the same judgement as you that an otherwise functional WP went suddenly haywire overnight simply because the rig spent a night out in the cold. I'd need to see and possibly even hear more signs that the WP was faulty before I went there. I also find it highly unlikely that you would have gotten a faulty replacement pump. I think it more likely that neither the new pump nor the prior pump are the actual source of the leak. Another possibility is a casting crack in your WP housing particularly near where the bolts holes are as that is where the casting is the thinnest.
I live in an area where it can get very cold. I have found that I get small, bothersome leaks when the temps plunge. The culprit is usually the lower radiator hose weeping/leaking at the water pump housing outlet, and sometimes a weep from the pump itself. Warms up, goes away. I think the root cause is that the outlet for the water pump housing - a soft iron - eventually rusts and "scales" and provides a pathway for leaking.
Mark Pietz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 08:59 PM   #6
OSUBEAVER

Thanks for all of the information, Scoutboy74. I definitely never mentioned a faulty replacement part! That's why I buy the best from IHPartsAmerica. I ended up pulling it apart again and using a liquid gasket, problem solved.

However, you are most right that it wasn't the problem. I jumped to the conclusion that it was the water pump seal because I wanted that to be the problem. I only replaced the water pump too because I figured why not, it had been a good 10 years.

So now, with no leak from the WP gasket, I see that the slight dribble is coming from the IH red steel line, driver side, that heads into the water pump. I have no idea where to even start to repair this.

Mark - you are probably right. I just don't know if the drivers side is the inlet or outlet.