IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Electrical Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 02-07-2018, 09:08 AM   #1
RobertAmes1971

Member Number: 9078
Default New wiring harness issues

I am trying to rewire a 1973 International Scout II with a 304 engine. Someone cut out the bulkhead connector and hardwired the dash to the engine. I am having issues with the new harness not matching up to what I believe is the correct pinout/configuration of the harness. I have a couple of connectors on the harness that do not match what is on the vehicle. To the best that I can tell, the new harness DOES match the schematics I've found. Did Inter. happen to put parts from other vehicles that could be made to work on these?

Edit - I found that a dash connector looks different from the schematic for the neutral safety switch. On the schematic it shows a 3 blade connector where I only have a two blade connector specifically for the switch with the old harness. I have a two blade connector for the new harness as well, but the alternator is attached to it too. I seem to have a separate wire/connector to the dash for the charging gauge.

Last edited by RobertAmes1971; 02-07-2018 at 09:36 AM..
RobertAmes1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 10:19 AM   #2
FDChappie

Member Number: 3742
Default Re: New wiring harness issues

Is this a brand new harness or from another vehicle?
FDChappie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 10:23 AM   #3
RobertAmes1971

Brand new. The part number is SP2123531 71-73 Scout II Engine harness. I would like to add that I did get the firewall connector, both halves.
Old 02-07-2018, 11:14 AM   #4
FDChappie

Member Number: 3742

Ok, so you need to connect a new engine harness to the existing cab harness. Is the old bulkhead connector completely gone from the cab harness? It sounds from your question that it might still there.
FDChappie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 12:05 PM   #5
RobertAmes1971

I have a new bulkhead connector for both sides. It was taken out and the engine was hard wired to the dash harness with twist and tape splices.
Old 02-07-2018, 12:39 PM   #6
RobertAmes1971

I need help finding the physical wires for circuits 71 and 71A on the dash side of the bulkhead connector for the neutral safety switch and figure out the connector difference for the wire to the alternator gauge.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:14 AM   #7
Scoutboy74

Member Number: 453

Circuit 71 is reverse lights. Power originates from the fuse block and runs to position 'KK' on the cabin side of the main BHC. From there it will either go to the forward terminal of the two terminal BUL switch of a standard shift, or to the rearmost position of the 3 prong NSS of a TF727. #71A then originates from either the rear terminal of the standard BULS, or the forward terminal of the auto NSS, and runs up to position 'EE' of the main BHC. From there, it enters the cabin before passing back out into the engine bay via position 'R' of the Rear Harness BHC...and then on to the rear light group.

The under dash component of the neutral start system is a 3 terminal Relay with male blades in a horizontal layout. It is identical to the Horn Relay located on the driver side of the engine bay near the firewall. #17A originates from IGN SW terminal 'S' and terminates at the top or lone post of the NS Relay pyramid connector. When viewing the connector as an upright pyramid, #17B is the intermittent ground originating from the center prong of the auto trans NSS, and terminating at the bottom right leg of the NS relay connector. Before doing that though, it passes through a different 3 terminal connector with the two bottom legs in an upright orientation, while the top leg is horizontal, identified in the FSM as simply "Engine Harness Connector. This is where that alternator wire you mentioned comes into play. #1 is a 24ga resistor wire that originates from alternator terminal #1. Once it reaches this EH connector, it becomes a standard 18ga wire that runs to one of the IGN SW 'I' terminals. This is the "Field" circuit that "excites" the alternator to increase output. The other circuit of that EH connector is #95 which is for exhaust emissions. Probably not even being utilized in your case. That might be why your new connector only has two terminals. That being #1 and #17B.

So getting back to the final terminal of the NS relay, it is #17 which passes through position 'DD' of the main BHC and terminates at the 'S' terminal of the starter solenoid. This is of course the trigger feed to activate the starter motor when the IGN switch is rotated fully to START position. In the case of a standard shift trans, #17A and #17 are simply bridged at the Relay connector with a short jumper wire, as there is no neutral start switch and thus no intermittent ground feed from the standard trans. No NS relay is required for a standard trans.

I hope this helps you.

Coal Trickle - '99 Dodge Ram 2500 Q-Cab SWB 4x4 - 5.9L 24V CTD/NV4500
Hooty - '74 SII - 392/TF727/D20/3.73 D44's/Spartan FA/Krac-lok RA/RC 4" SUA/34x10.5 TSLs/33g Fuel/HFT 8k winch
Mongo - '71 1210 Std Cab 2WD - 345/TF727/RA17 D60 4.10 Trac-lok - "Mongo love candy! Duh, huh, huh!"
Scoutboy74 is offline   Reply With Quote