IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Brake Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 06-25-2017, 05:35 PM   #1
meisterj

Member Number: 8515
Default parking brake cable adjustment

I installed your rear disk brake kit on a '74 scout II 4x4 with dana 44s and a 2.5 inch rough country lift. I connected the parking brake cable to the calipers but it is too short and the rotors are locked up even with the equalizer yolk loosened as far as it will go. Any suggestions?
meisterj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 05:44 PM   #2
Scout-It-Out

Member Number: 904
Default Re: parking brake cable adjustment

is the stock scout e-brake adjuster all the way loose? should be a spring and threaded rod just behind the transfer case.

Edit: maybe that's what you called the equalizer yoke?

1979 Scout II, 304, 3.73, 31" tires, Spartan locker in the rear, Powr-Lok front, Hydraulic Brake Booster, Custom bumpers
Scout-It-Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 02:21 AM   #3
meisterj

Yes, I got the term 'equalizer yolk' out of the manual. The adjuster is as loose as it goes. To make matters worse, I put the short end of the Rough Country leaf spring (center bolt to eye) forward per a post on another forum, but the wheel is forward of center in the wheel well. I think I need to swap ends on the springs to move the wheels back and that will tighten the cable even more.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:17 AM   #4
Hondo

Member Number: 4714

The rear wheels should be towards the front of the wheel wells, not centered. As the springs compress, the rear shackles pivot backwards, and the axle moves towards the rear of the wheel wells. The tires usually hit in the back of the wheel wells because of this.
1975 Scout II healthy 258, Wide T19 , 4:1 D300 3:54s,
1972 Real clean stock Scout II P/S, P/B, 345, T18, 3:73s
1969 Mach I. Balanced ported 351W, 650 double pumper, Super T10, Detroit locker with 4.11s. Lowered with racing springs, bars, Konis etc.
(Don't worry about getting arrested when I drive the Scouts).
Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 06:38 AM   #5
meisterj

Thanks for that info. Also, prior to seeing your post this am I confirmed with Rough Country that the short arm of the spring goes forward, so I'm good there. Just need a solution for the parking brake cable.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:09 PM   #6
Scout-It-Out

Member Number: 904

i'd call IH Parts and ask them. i'm sure they've encountered this before.

my only thought would be to weld a coupling nut to a bolt of the same threads as the adjuster. then screw the nut onto the stock adjuster. thus lengthening it the proper amount.

1979 Scout II, 304, 3.73, 31" tires, Spartan locker in the rear, Powr-Lok front, Hydraulic Brake Booster, Custom bumpers
Scout-It-Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 03:50 AM   #7
meisterj

I did talk to IH parts yesterday. This didn't seem to be a common problem with the disc brake kit. We discussed several possible solutions including the one you suggest. Last night I tried the easiest and removed the curly-q cable guide/hanger rod on passenger side and that gave me enough extra cable to solve the problem. The parking brake still works fine even with the resulting slightly increased cable angle as it comes off the guide welded to the passenger side frame rail.