IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > IH Parts America Area > IH Parts America Product Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 12-06-2017, 04:18 PM   #1
POPS

Member Number: 2005
Default Another Reverse Shackle Question (or two)

Got the front fangs and crosstube tacked in place per the instructions.
(great product by the way with straightforward instructions). So far pretty easy. Rolled the front end under and front springeyes slid right into place. Placed 2X4's and let her rest on her own. Looks good but rear of the springs are about 1/2 inch to the right of center on the frame. I can 'massage' them into place but I realy don't want to jack anything up. Is ther something simple I should check?

76 Scout II, 345, auto, original D44s.
Scout has never been wrecked to my knowledge.
Frame looks near perfect.
Has new RC 4" springs.

I was thinking loosen u-bolts on axle and see if it helps line up?

Also, the RC 4" springs have been on the Scout with weight on them for several years, although it hasn't driven in this time and springs are still super stiff. Should I still use the 5 degree angle on rear shackle?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
POPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:09 AM   #2
ihpartsjeff
Administrator & Owner

Member Number: 1
Default Re: Another Reverse Shackle Question (or two)

If both springs are angled toward the right of center, then I would double check that you welded the front spring hanger fangs square to the chassis. If one fang is slightly forward of the other it will cause this scenario and make the Scout "dogleg" down the road when driven. We usually double check our measurements to the frame by measuring from the oval hole on the frame (the one where the shackle ends up getting drilled thru) to the spring mounting bolt on the fang. You can try loosening up the ubolts to see if that helps any but definitely double check your measurements.

As for the shackle angle, the more angle you put into the shackle, the more it will lean into the corners. We still recommend starting with 5 degrees as it always still settles in a little more when you're all done. Also make sure you grease up the 2x4 so that the spring can move with as much as ease as possible when jouncing the suspension.

Jeff Ismail
IH Parts America - Owner
IH Sierra Fall Rallye Event Coordinator
CPT - Crawler Proven Technology
(530)274-1795
ihpartsjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:19 AM   #3
POPS

Thanks Jeff. I'm fairly confident that I got the fangs square, but I will certainly doublecheck using your measuring method. And grease the 2X4's... Genius!!!

I appreciate your quick response.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:59 PM   #4
POPS

Measurements came out spot-on. Greased 2X4's and some jouncing and she lined up quite nicely. Got angles set and pilot holes drilled (my arbor was threaded wrong for the hole saw, tomorrow's job). Thank you again for the help. This kit is awesome...