IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Suspension Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 07-31-2017, 02:55 PM   #1
tat_ayala

Member Number: 8745
Default Identifying my suspension

Quick background I have a 76 scout II you with the 392 to 2 barrel 2210 holy carb that I just finished fixing up http://forums.ihpartsamerica.com/showthread.php?t=13511with the help of another thread. Now I want to try to identify what suspension I have and how best to spruce it up. My rig is mostly used on the road but every now and then get into some mud and sand being that I live by the beach. Here are the pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4109.jpg (40.7 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4095.jpg (45.9 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4099.jpg (74.3 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4103.jpg (64.6 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4104.jpg (60.0 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4107.jpg (62.0 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4108.jpg (34.3 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4096.jpg (55.3 KB, 49 views)
tat_ayala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 06:42 PM   #2
Scoutboy74

Member Number: 453
Default Re: Identifying my suspension

Looks like the stock springs and maybe some old Rancho shocks and an aftermarket steering stabilizer of unknown brand attached to the tie rod.
Are you thinking about a suspension lift so you can run larger tires? Your shocks look like they've been around quite awhile and are probably shot. Your spring shackle bushings are probably all shot as well.

Coal Trickle - '99 Dodge Ram 2500 Q-Cab SWB 4x4 - 5.9L 24V CTD/NV4500
Hooty - '74 SII - 392/TF727/D20/3.73 D44's/Spartan FA/Krac-lok RA/RC 4" SUA/34x10.5 TSLs/33g Fuel/HFT 8k winch
Mongo - '71 1210 Std Cab 2WD - 345/TF727/RA17 D60 4.10 Trac-lok - "Mongo love candy! Duh, huh, huh!"
Scoutboy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 07:43 PM   #3
int77345

Member Number: 624

im going to take a guess that its already lifted based on the arch in the springs, the distance from axle to bump stop, and the drive shaft angle.

im guessing 2 1/2 inch rancho springs.

what ever it turns out to be, lifted or not, or what ever spring, that suspension looks like it has had its day. especially the shocks and steering stabilizer no shame on them everything on earth wears out with time and use

what would i do?????
1. decide what direction you want to go with your suspension...stock, lift, etc...
2. replace shocks based on decision of #1 and ditch steering stabilizer
3. save $$ and a few months get springs based on decision #1
4. save more $$ and next year get reverse shackle kit and have installed..... will make a huge difference in every day driving.

just my 2 cents...
int77345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 07:51 PM   #4
tat_ayala

Thanks for the reply. No not necessarily looking for bigger tires if I do it won't be anything much bigger. Now that my son is 4 he really wants to ride In his monster truck. So I want to make it the most comfortable and safe as can be. So I just want a truck that can from time to time get me out of the mud and sand. So any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have my little helper ready to help too
Attached Images

Last edited by tat_ayala; 07-31-2017 at 08:07 PM..
Old 08-01-2017, 05:51 AM   #5
Hondo

Member Number: 4714

Being that you live by the beach, I would consider buying a gallon of WD40 and a hand squirt bottle, then crawl under the beast and douse everything every couple of years. Looks like about a 2 1/2 Rancho lift to me as well.
1975 Scout II healthy 258, Wide T19 , 4:1 D300 3:54s,
1972 Real clean stock Scout II P/S, P/B, 345, T18, 3:73s
1969 Mach I. Balanced ported 351W, 650 double pumper, Super T10, Detroit locker with 4.11s. Lowered with racing springs, bars, Konis etc.
(Don't worry about getting arrested when I drive the Scouts).
Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:17 AM   #6
Scoutboy74

Its a short wheelbase truck, so there's only so much that can be done in terms of ride comfort. It might be a cow pasture Caddy, but it ain't never gonna ooze and shmooz down the highway like one. Don't cheap out on shocks. Pony up for some good ones like Bilstein 5100's. You will need to take some measurements. You need to know how short the shocks need to be during compression and how long they need to be at full axle droop.

Safety concerns...Have you gone through the brakes on this thing yet? How's the steering? Is all the electrical working? Lights? Wipers? Heater? How about a roll bar or better yet cage in case you get a little sideways while playing around?

You've got BFG's on there which a lot of people really like. Have you tried engaging the front axle in something a little soft and squishy to see if 4x4 works? Have you gone through the front hubs to clean, lube and ensure proper function?

Those are the things I'd be looking at. The suspension kinda is what it is. As long as there are no broken parts or booty fab modifications done to it that you can see that would make it unsafe.

Hooty - '74 SII - 392/TF727/D20/3.73 D44's/Spartan FA/Krac-lok RA/RC 4" SUA/34x10.5 TSLs/33g Fuel/HFT 8k winch
Mongo - '71 1210 Std Cab 2WD - 345/TF727/RA17 D60 4.10 Trac-lok - "Mongo love candy! Duh, huh, huh!"
Old 08-01-2017, 07:36 AM   #7
tat_ayala

Thanks for all the replies guys I really appreciate it. I have checked the electrical and it's mostly the original wire harness which looks to be in decent shape. The lights, wipers work the heater not so much but po before me move muffler literally right below front seats so you're cooking while driving. The steering feels loose but I know now the steering stabilizer is shot. The brakes have been worked on and they work. I have engage the four-wheel-drive it's works as well fact about a year ago I had to take out a forklift That they got stuck in the mud. But I know all these components can be improved on. Which I plan to slowly fix unless someone comes by with an offer I can't refuse. But as of now I am going to keep making improvements on the truck. I started with suspension just cause it something I can see and I know needed work on. But if you all feel I should work on something else I will take all the guidance I can get.

Last edited by tat_ayala; 08-01-2017 at 07:52 AM..
Old 08-01-2017, 07:59 AM   #8
Scoutboy74

That stabilizer is not an item that came standard on Scouts. When you disconnect it from the tie rod, grasp the tie rod like you're trying to strangle it. If you can get the rod to twist back and forth easily, the rod ends are shot and need to be replaced. Do the same thing for the drag link rod that runs from the pitman arm to the right steering knuckle. The drag link probably has non-serviceable rod ends, so if they're sloppy, the entire rod would need to be replaced. Another source of sloppy steering can be the upper and lower ball joints. Yet another source is the flexible joint aka "rag joint" in the steering column. After 40 years of service, the rubber compound in those joints tend not to have much life left in them. Worn rag joints will surely allow play in the steering wheel and worse yet, if that joint tears apart while you're driving, it will result in a complete loss of steering control. Those are best replaced by upgrading to a Borgeson universal steering joint.

Old 08-02-2017, 06:47 AM   #9
tat_ayala

I followed your instructions Scoutboy74 and it looks like just about every part of the steering need to be replaced. So now its a matter of do keep going or is it time to sell. Its such a great rig with little to no rust on it with a great running engine. Its same story as most I bought the truck before my son was born and now trying to balance out the expenses of having two babies sorta speak. Anyways sorry for getting off subject but I guess just needed to vent a little bit.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:58 AM   #10
Scoutboy74

You need to look at it this way. The truck is over 40 years old and like most of these Scouts, they were driven and enjoyed. They might have been babied and well cared for when new, but those days are long gone. Most of them have been rode hard and put away wet. Those steering parts that I spoke of before are sacrificial wear parts. They weren't meant to last forever. So when you buy an older rig like this, unless you're ponying up the big bucks for one that has already been gone through stem to stern, or some rare, ultra low miles timepiece that was never driven, you kinda need to go into it with the knowledge that a bunch of sacrificial parts have already given up the ghost and its going to be on you to replace the shit. If that's going to be a dealbreaker for you, then you might be better off cutting your losses now. I understand your turmoil. That dollar only stretches so far in so many directions. But this is the reality of trying to bring any older rig back online. Its going to need some stuff.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:20 AM   #11
FDChappie

Member Number: 3742

Just make a budget and start by replacing the worst parts first. None of the suspension parts are real expensive or hard to find. Buy a pickle fork and a ball joint press from Harbor Freight and you'll have most of the tools you'll need for the job.
FDChappie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 08:58 AM   #12
Scoutboy74

That's exactly right. Don't try to rebuild Rome in one day. I'm still finding wear parts to replace on my Scout after more than 16 years of ownership, although the list is getting short. Most recently I discovered that both front stub axle shaft u-joints are extremely sloppy and ready to fail the next time I engage the front axle. They're most likely original equipment. I'm not upset about it. I'm in awe of how well they've held up to the abuse that not only I've subjected them to, but X number of owners before me. So they need to go bye bye. With those shafts out of the way, that's the perfect time to get at the upper/lower ball joints, which again in my case have likely been in there since Moses was a kid.
That isn't to say that I haven't sunk a bunch of cash into the thing over that time, but many of the expenses have been in terms of upgrades and modifications that were more important or exciting to me at the time than replacing boring, worn out parts that still had a little, marginal life left in them. Maybe my priorities were out of whack in some cases, but I wanted to have some fun with the thing and be able to do go some places and do some things that wouldn't be quite so doable with a bone stock Scout.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:33 AM   #13
tat_ayala

I really appreciate the words of encouragement guys it really means a lot. I know you all at some point i am sure had moments of uncertainty too. But like you all say you can't build Rome in a day. So i will take my time changing a part here and there and not overwhelm myself. This has been an amazing learning experience that I hope continues as I go on this journey with this Scout. So if all goes well you all well be getting some more questions from me in the near future. Thanks.