IH PARTS AMERICA
Click Here!

Go Back   IH PARTS AMERICA > Tech Forums > Suspension Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Photo Gallery IH Store Home

Old 10-02-2017, 06:13 AM   #1
Rollercam

Member Number: 8656
Default Ride Quality with Rough Country 4" Lift

First off, please forgive my ignorance regarding 4 wheel drive suspensions (I have more of a muscle car background). I have a 78 Scout II 4x4. I had a reputable off road shop check the scout over and they said it looked good and had not been chopped up. The only suspension change that had been performed was the addition of a rough country 4" lift in 2015 by the previous owner. This lift is where my concern lies. I have read nothing but bad reviews regarding the rough country springs due to there stiff ride. I honestly have nothing to compare the ride quality to, but it seems rough. I don't expect a leaf spring lifted 1978 Scout to ride like my 2011 Z71, but it does seem overly stiff to me.

Right or wrong, I did swap out the rough country shocks for some skyjacker monotube M-95 shocks that I was able to purchase at a very good price. These are supposedly their best shock. I would like to know if you have any suggestions for further improving the on-road ride quality. This scout will spend 90% of its time on paved roads and 10% of its time driving around fairly flat unpaved terrain. So, handling, steering, and safety characteristics are important to me. I would prefer to retain the 4" lift springs that I have for cost purposes, looks, and because of the 33" inch tires I already have on the scout, but I am willing to even consider different springs if absolutely necessary. Would reverse shackling help? I am really not even sure of the purpose of reverse shackling. Would better shocks help? If so, what do you suggest? Do I need longer shackles?
Etc? Any help in getting a more predictable, comfortable, and controllable ride would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Rollercam; 10-02-2017 at 06:56 AM..
Rollercam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:30 AM   #2
FDChappie

Member Number: 3742
Default Re: Ride Quality with Rough Country 4" Lift

Don't know about the Rough country springs, but the Rancho springs 4" springs on my Scout were known to be the stiffest. I changed to the Bilstein shocks available here a couple of years ago and they made a huge difference. Another very good option is to do a reverse shackle setup for the front springs.

One upside for stiff springs is that they will reduce body roll on the corners.
FDChappie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 10:52 AM   #3
ihpartsjeff
Administrator & Owner

Member Number: 1

Reverse shackle will help but it will still be a stiff ride. Bilstein shocks will probably help as well but still be stiff compared to say Skyjacker Softrides. The Rough Country 2.5" springs ride a lot better. For budget reasons, since the Rough Country springs are half the cost of Skyjackers, you could swap to those instead and add in a small body lift to make up the difference.

Jeff Ismail
IH Parts America - Owner
IH Sierra Fall Rallye Event Coordinator
CPT - Crawler Proven Technology
(530)274-1795
ihpartsjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 04:57 PM   #4
Rollercam

Member Number: 8656

First off, thank you for the responses. Just to clarify, if I was willing to spend a little, my number 1 option would be to just go ahead and replace my 4" rough country springs with 4" skyjacker soft ride springs? Would I still want to get the Bilsteins or would my skyjacker M-95 monotubes be okay for now? I believe skyjacker just sells the springs by themselves, but I am not sure if rough country sells their springs alone without having to purchase the kit.

If the skyjacker springs are not in the budget, and I get some 2.5" rough country springs (for a less jarring ride), could I do an extended shackle (say 5") alone or in combination with a small body lift along with the 2.5" springs to bring me back close to my current 4" lift? I am assuming that if I just did the 2.5" RC springs and nothing else, then I may not have enough clearance for my 33" tires. Is this correct or will they still clear without any rubbing or turning issues?
Rollercam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 05:59 AM   #5
ihpartsjeff
Administrator & Owner

Member Number: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollercam View Post
First off, thank you for the responses. Just to clarify, if I was willing to spend a little, my number 1 option would be to just go ahead and replace my 4" rough country springs with 4" skyjacker soft ride springs? Would I still want to get the Bilsteins or would my skyjacker M-95 monotubes be okay for now? I believe skyjacker just sells the springs by themselves, but I am not sure if rough country sells their springs alone without having to purchase the kit.

If the skyjacker springs are not in the budget, and I get some 2.5" rough country springs (for a less jarring ride), could I do an extended shackle (say 5") alone or in combination with a small body lift along with the 2.5" springs to bring me back close to my current 4" lift? I am assuming that if I just did the 2.5" RC springs and nothing else, then I may not have enough clearance for my 33" tires. Is this correct or will they still clear without any rubbing or turning issues?
You could swap springs and keep your current shocks. They are not terrible by any means but not a Bilstein either. If you do want to swap out leafsprings we do sell them individually, both Skyjacker and Rough Country. They are not listed online individually so would have to call in to get current pricing. Regardless of what spring you go with I would add the extended shackles that we offer as they too will slightly help with the ride quality by freeing up the spring travel. If after swapping out to say Rough Country 2.5" springs with the extended shackles and you still don't have enough lift for your 33" tires you could then add a small body lift. regardless you're still going to get a lot of ride quality improvement with one of our CPT reverse shackle kits.

Jeff Ismail
IH Parts America - Owner
IH Sierra Fall Rallye Event Coordinator
CPT - Crawler Proven Technology
(530)274-1795
ihpartsjeff is offline   Reply With Quote